3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Scary Larry or smarty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:23 AM
tcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Smarty betas run awesome(even better) on the 05s, I'd bet 500+hp w/ what I've seen on the dyno.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:33 AM

tell you what i seen the scary-larry runs great! But you need someone to talk with and as for me i have lost all contact with BDDont know whats going on but if i were going to do it again i would go with SMARTY the first time.And yes i have run the crazy-scarylarry tune
Old 01-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Munchies
It will just make your truck run-away, and delete the key on counter, leaving your warranty in question by certain dealers.
It's never done either of those on my truck.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
I would DEFINITELY go with the Smarty!

IMHO, the Smarty is far above any of the other programmers out right now!
Couple that with the constant R&D by Marco and Bob Wagner being on here constantly helping all our DTR Members out with updates etc.I don't see how anyone could go wrong. My 2006 Dodge CTD CR just made 580 H.P. with a Smarty Beta Tune on the dyno and I am "mildly" upgraded compared to alot of other trucks. Heck I still have STOCK injectors and a STOCK fuel system and still made 580 RWHP and the truck runs a 13.1@105 MPH in the 1/4 mile!

Yes, I HIGHLY recommend the Smarty!

---------
John_P
Old 01-11-2008, 09:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jrussell
It's never done either of those on my truck.

Me neither, and for the ppl that have had problems with the counter, its been fixed promptly. Anybody that has a problem with their SMarty just isn't saying anything then, because I havent seen thouse problems in awhile. What happens to the ppl that have BullyDog problems now?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:48 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Munchies
It will just make your truck run-away, and delete the key on counter, leaving your warranty in question by certain dealers.
I've never heard of a truck "run-away"--- there was only one episode of folks that lost the key counters (I was one of them) from a new file (a beta-- testing--file) that everyone was twisting MADS arm to release and they did and there was a glitch that erased key counters, but you know what?? In a couple of days they had that fixed and EVERYONE got their key counts BACK! It was good, responsive customer service!! And by the way, there are programmers out there that delete key counts and there is nothing you can do about it.

Please be responsible and factual when you throw out stuff like that... and be willing to tell the whole story and back it up. It is one thing to be critical when merited and give folks valuable info even when negative. It is another when you throw out unsupported mud.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:47 PM

no support from bullydog here, bud is on that island with the fat guy Hurrly where all the crazy stuff happens
Old 01-11-2008, 02:01 PM

Heard of a truck over the summer running a Smarty run away from him. The only problem is it didn't get away. He was hooked to the sled, Got to the end of the track let off but the truck wanted to keep going. I think he got it shut down in time before it hurt anything. Another guy on compD said his truck tried to run away from him also. I'm kinda leary about the smarty but if bully dog don't come out with a 4k tune I will be going for smarty as well.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stacked97
Scary Larry was designed for the '05/autos, I believe it was basically Crazy Larry on other years/6spds, but was rated a bit higher on the 05/autos(cant tell you the numbers though, forgot)
Scary Larry will work on the 05 6 spds as well, you just cant use the tq man delete(or it goes into limp mode)

973604x4 and I conducted a little test of our own a while back with the same interests in mind. We installed Crazy Larry, then Scary Larry, then the Smarty. There is a huge difference between CL to SL, but my hinney said the Smarty felt more powerful. I had a bad experience with BD customer service a while back also, so I wont ever own there products anyway.

To me the Smarty hands down!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:32 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by Armstrong Performance
Scary Larry will work on the 05 6 spds as well, you just cant use the tq man delete(or it goes into limp mode)

973604x4 and I conducted a little test of our own a while back with the same interests in mind. We installed Crazy Larry, then Scary Larry, then the Smarty. There is a huge difference between CL to SL, but my hinney said the Smarty felt more powerful. I had a bad experience with BD customer service a while back also, so I wont ever own there products anyway.

To me the Smarty hands down!
But Phil doesn't share your joy! But at least he got off the BD bandwagon and went PPE before really going traitor to the duramax...
Old 01-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by soulezoo
But Phil doesn't share your joy! But at least he got off the BD bandwagon and went PPE before really going traitor to the duramax...
lol thats true, he was always a Bully Dog guy. I am trying to get him to pull the DPF off the new Duraturd.

He'll come around.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:39 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

I dunno... he is awfully stubborn and tell him he is way behind on his child (twins) support.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So that's why we don't see him around anymore....he done sold us out!!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Banned

yeah, and banned
Old 01-12-2008, 12:12 AM

I had my truck run away on both scary larry and smarty beta 4.3

the runaway has not been an issue with 4.4 beta , however bob & marco were aware of the problem with 4.3 4.2 beta programs.

this was a situation that effected very few trucks out there & not the majority !

I dont know if the problem ever was corrected , but I still wont give up my 4.3 beta

Quick Reply: Scary Larry or smarty?