Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Scary Larry or smarty? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/scary-larry-smarty-186256/)

cvcook 01-08-2008 11:23 PM

Scary Larry or smarty?

I know the S/L makes the most power on 05 models which I have but, I can get a sweet deal on a smarty from a guy that doesn't need it anymore, so with the beta programs available which would give me the most power at the track, S/L or smarty?

rip 112 01-08-2008 11:41 PM

It'd be a close one, but many ppl on here prefer the Smarty. The power #s won't be much different, but its delivery will. And Marco is hard at work on the 230hp race program, which will most likely incorporate 4k redline, added pressure, etc. It will be the tune to have.

Big Smoky 01-09-2008 12:07 AM

If it were me, I'd for sure go with the Smarty.

jrussell 01-09-2008 03:55 AM

The Smarty won't wreck your injectors like SL has been said to do. Power with the beta and race versions is about the same too.

jfranklin 01-09-2008 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by cvcook (Post 1880620)
I know the S/L makes the most power on 05 models which I have but, I can get a sweet deal on a smarty from a guy that doesn't need it anymore, so with the beta programs available which would give me the most power at the track, S/L or smarty?

have you tried the tst. i would say it has more kick than the S/L imo

cvcook 01-09-2008 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by jfranklin (Post 1880777)
have you tried the tst. i would say it has more kick than the S/L imo

I've got a TST but, I took it off due to draining the rail with the s/l and flux injecters, I know every truck is different but my truck ran better with the s/l than the TST

SMOKIN-U 01-10-2008 07:29 PM

i would go with s/l the power wih proper mods i hear is up to 280 and it doesent have pressure built in like th smarty so you could stack something with it and get a little more. s/l all the way. just my .02

king d 01-10-2008 08:33 PM

s/l does have pressure.however the smarty big hp tune is absolutely nuts

Pooter 01-10-2008 08:38 PM

Id go with the Smarty...

Ive had the Scary Larry program, and while it ROCKED!, I dont need to be saving for a transmission right now:o
AND the Smarty has more adjustability and is easy to update(without losing your program like Scary Larry)

Heck I love my Edge Juice/Attitude but if I could do it all over again I would have gone with guages and a Smarty...

Racing4funn 01-10-2008 08:59 PM

is scary larry and crazy larry the same thing? or is S.L. something new/custom?

Pooter 01-10-2008 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Racing4funn (Post 1883949)
is scary larry and crazy larry the same thing? or is S.L. something new/custom?

Scary Larry was designed for the '05/autos, I believe it was basically Crazy Larry on other years/6spds, but was rated a bit higher on the 05/autos(cant tell you the numbers though, forgot[redface])

sliqwille04 01-10-2008 09:44 PM

SMARTY!!!! We have always had problems with BD stuff. Bob has had to write 5 or 6 programs to fix or recover ECUs due to the BD TD screwing up. Smarty stacked with Mp-8 is a great combo.

kwilkinson 01-10-2008 10:05 PM

Didnt bully dog discontinue the crazy/scary larry programs anyway?

desertchecker 01-11-2008 12:10 AM

scary larry on 05 is strong tune , but the smarty is even stronger and much smoother, I do have both & choose to run Smarty.

plus bob wagoner is the man , he takes good care of his customers, always gets me what I ask for.

dealing with bob is a lot more personal then dealing with some temporary employee volt, type operator from bullydog that does not know jack & needs to talk to a 2nd or 3rd baseman.

seems like when you pay peanuts , you get monkeys working for you !

buddy the programmer , he was the real deal , but he seems to come and go ?

not sure whats up with bullydog ?

smarty is kicking a** !

Munchies 01-11-2008 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by jrussell (Post 1880771)
The Smarty won't wreck your injectors like SL has been said to do. Power with the beta and race versions is about the same too.

It will just make your truck run-away, and delete the key on counter, leaving your warranty in question by certain dealers.