3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rockittboy..

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rockittboy..

Hey could you Pm how you did your 10" lift...ive been looking and the only 10" ive found is whiptrash and i dont want that...

and a 6" and 37s doesnt look that good on a dually!

so if you get time to kinda break it down as far as what you bought and have etc!

thanks!
Old 03-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He built it himself.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:07 PM

DJ helped out alot even tho i annoyed the hell outta him over stuff. why dont you want 6" and 37's? thats what i had and it was great. mine worked out almost prefect, but it isnt like driving a stock truck. i still have a few issues such as it appears my axle is approx. one inch too fat back and my steering is a LITTLE vague off center, i am not sure if this is from the crappy stock steering arms ( meaning lack of crossover steering ) or if its because i took a little bit of caster out of my axle to ease the pain on my driveshaft. DJ knows more about it than i do. those are 7" skyjacker coils with a 3" leveling spacer on them. the arms and brackets were kinda built as i went alot. i will be putting adjustable ends on them shortly to move the axle forward. in the rear i ordered the 8" skyjacker springs ( i think they are 8"...maybe 6" and run a small block ) i will be building ladder bars soon as well as crossover steering. your front driveline will NOT work. it needs to be lengthened and hi angled as well as your t-case needding to be reindexed. even then you mayeb encounter vibes. you could also purchase the dynatrac hub kit, but even then you have to have your driveline stretched. for my track bar i cut the ends of the factory one about 6" from each end and slid them into 1/4" wall HREW pipe, plug welded them and sealed it up again around the ends. i am totally happy with it and will be even happier once i get hte money to finish all the odds and ends. i rushed into mine, make sure you have the money and time. took me 3 days start to finish. oh ya, for brake lines, i just moved them ontop of the link bar bracket, drilled a hole and tapped it, placing the bracket there.... ....does that help at all?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:39 PM

yea so what did the leaf springs and coil springs run you??

ive bagged and body dropped in teh passed now that im messing with 4wd i dont no what causes what..

i know i could build new link arms etc for the front and i dont care about the driveshaft as the trk will never see dirt excepnt pulling up to the dirtbike track

but if the shocks..rear springs coil springs and spacers arent to bad i think il build the rest to make it work..

i just think duallies need smaller tires and more lift. i saw a f350 with a 6 or 8" and 37x12.50s and it was to stuffed looking
Old 03-01-2006, 08:42 PM

i spoke with the local big time 4wd shop and they said of every lift they have installed on a dodge the tough county worked best so if anything il just do it..

but i know i want another 3" with 37s..
Old 03-01-2006, 09:22 PM

i had that lift, it worked just fine, no vibes, everything was kosher... it IS however made up of 6" coil spacers, which i didnt like myself. just my opinion tho, lots of ppl use it and like it. the coils were about $200, i modified my shock towers ( flat plate ) to use the shocks off my 6" kit in the front and in the rear, put them on top of the axle and ran them at about a 30* angle and made a rear shock hoop. leaf packs were $$$ tho...$780 for the pair.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Banned

Who told you Tuff Country was awesome, 4 Wheel Parts? That is the worst made lift you can buy for these trucks. I know a LOT of people that have it, or have had it, and tell me how big of a piece of junk that lift is.

What I find amusing is that you call Whiplash "crap," yet you say you will run Tuff Country. They are both crap, and actually Craplash uses 5 inch spacers... Tuff Country uses 6 inch spacers. Who is the lamest? Hard to tell, really.

There was a bad Edit dually on Ebay last month. It was a red quad cab 3rd gen and it had a 4 link rear suspension that was just like the front. That thing looked freaking awesome. It had 39.5 Iroks under it and probably 13 inches of lift.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:23 PM

i saw that....what i wanna do most is four link my rear end...HAHAHA...anyways...id like to airbag it with some big bags...theres a guy on here and pavement sucks from discovery bay whos been lookin into it...i think he posted about it on pirate too...you see that dj?
Old 03-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Banned

ASTAR? Yeah, I saw his posts about it. Since you are in Commifornia, you cannot move your stock fuel tank. You would need to duplicate the front suspension, basically. The arms would need to be as wide as the frame rails all the way to the axle, then use a track bar/panhard bar to keep the axle centered. I'm going to link up the rear of my 01, but I'm taking the gas tank out and putting a fuel cell in the bed, so I will have plenty of room to do a 3 link like what we did on Clint's front suspension.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:24 AM

WATCH ME MOVE MY GAS TANK ill drop it off on the local DMV's doorstep
Old 03-02-2006, 08:08 AM

www.bncoffroad.com is who i spoke with..he said that of all the kits hes put on the dodge its the best as far a the alighnment of axle with the narm arms etc.

also most everyone with whiplash have some sort of problem which every board on the net has a 200 post thread about it lol...

also a company offers the truff country with a 6" superlift coil. thats how i planned to buy it if i did a 6"...the guy never said the coil spring spacers where great but he said the axle lined up better or something..

but since we used to do the air ride stuff ive thought seriously about doing the airbag lift on my truck..but its so time consuming and i never had one problem out of my truck but just dont wanna go that route i dont think!

but im going to look into the 7" coils use my 2" coil spacer and i think thatl be good hieght on the 37s!

and thanks guys for the help!!
Old 03-02-2006, 09:08 AM

I really have no idea why djgaston has his panties in such a bunch over Tuff Lifts...

I have not seen one post on this Forum or the Other claiming breakage, alignment issues, poor performance...etc. I won't even include my opinion. Sure they are better systems...but come on????

How many hard miles on on your low horsepowered pavement queen?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Banned

Have you seen DJ's other truck?

Someone who builds a half ton like that has my attention. And while I have never run the tuff country or whiplash suspensions, anybody that uses a 5" coil spacer to lift the truck is nuts. I think they are ugly. While they might be cheaper, they don't look near as good nor would I think they'd perform near as well as a new lift coil would.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:46 PM

Yes I have...under powered and over tired IMHO...but that is only MHO. Is it a rock crawler or a truck or a ???? It seems confused. It most likely does both maybe so so.

Explain to me why the spacer is bad? There are no side loads on the spacer...A 6" lift does not add 6" of travel. Maybe you out to go read up on shock travel and the take a tape measure out and check how much possible travel can be had with original shock towers...then aftermarket ones...then the set back of shock body clearance while flexing ect. Some people keep trying to make these trucks into something they are not.

If the spacer is well designed...it is not different that moving the spring cup down. What's bad with that? You don't need a longer spring for travel purposes...if the shock is what limits the travel anyways. Actually...travel is really hampered on these trucks by binding between the control arms, track bar, and sway bars before the shocks even play a factor...let alone springs. Anyone that has at least installed their own "level" kit...let alone full suspension system should know that.

I just don't understand why someone feels the need to rip on a simply and effective way to increase ride height. Couple that with GOOD shocks and you have a very effective system. Do some searching aound...there are tons of 3rd gens on Tuff 4.5's and 6's that all have great results.

I am not a spokesman for Tuff...or because its what I chose. It is just the spreading of horse cxxp going on here by pretenious minds...

The lift works...and works well for a truck...that needs to be a truck. Carry loads...pull things...and provide additonal clearance for improved off road prowlness. I have never seen an advertising campaign state otherwise?
Old 03-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Banned

My truck does nothing more than sit in the yard and look cool with it's big tires and underpowered motor.

Tuff Cuntry sucks because it is a low quality lift that is made to be sold for as little as possible. That has always been their market. The 3rd gen lifts are no exception. I am of the mindframe that if you are going to do something, do it right the first time. Buying a Tuff Country lift is like saying I want to improve the airflow into my Cummins, so I am going to remove the air filter because it is restrictive. Using a Tuff Country lift is like taking a step BACK in technology, not forward. For the same price, you can have a much better suspension that will perform ten times better.

Bah, why fight? Sure, I could crap out a better designed suspension than the Tuff Country setup, but maybe I should do just that and sell it for a few dollars less and make a killing off of people who want to put a Edit lift under their newer CTD's. Obviously, there is enough of a crowd to warrant the 10 minutes worth of drawing on a paper towel that would be required to build something better than what Tuff Country sells.

BNC builds some of the lamest crap I have ever seen. I'm surprised you know of Whiplash's reputation but not BNC's?