3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Rize Industries Announced their new Dodge lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSminnow
I was just on Thuren's website, and I can tell you, I am not impressed with their stuff. On their Superduty 4" kit, they are using single shear mounts. Single shear is NOT a good thing especially on a heavy truck like a diesel.

Here is a pic of shingle shear from Thuren website on teh upper shock mount:

Another on the lower shock mount

And here is how it should be done:

and another:

I am not saying the Rize kit is all that, I agree with everyone's comments on the short arm's. All I am saying is that Thuren needs some work too.
They're shock mounts, not spring mounts. Nobody is going to wreck or die from a broken shock mount.

There's no way that shock will break any of the 3 mounting points anyway. The forces applied to a shock are not that great.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cowhand
Don doesn't do a SD kit....that was a one off that Don did. I don't see anything wrong with it....it's only a single 2.0 on a leaf sprung truck, the compression valving in that shock is somewhat light in order to get that spring to move. It'll be on the bump before anything breaks. With anything bigger than a 2.0 I'd agree, double shear is a must.

As for the Rize kit......lots of pretty brackets and whatnot, but it looks like they followed the same concept as the Chevy kits, which is to basically drop the lower suspension components with relocation brackets. Doesn't look like it'd articulate too well based on the distance between the upper and lower, and I'm not a big fan of the upper link relocation brackets either.

Hard to say without some more detailed pictures, but I'd have to say if they'd put their effort into making this a long arm system, it'd be a pretty nice kit.

If we're talking mall crawler/pavement queen, I think it'll work just fine with 20" wheels.

You made some valid points, especially the mall crawler quote, which you are right....with 20's, teh most that thing will probaly see off road is going through a ditch trying to exit a freeway early.

That being said, I still would not use single shear, even on a shock.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrussell
They're shock mounts, not spring mounts. Nobody is going to wreck or die from a broken shock mount.

There's no way that shock will break any of the 3 mounting points anyway. The forces applied to a shock are not that great.

One, I did not say anyone was going to die from a broken shock mount.

I am glad that you think it will not break. Maybe you have been on the trial befoe, and maybe you have not. When on teh trail, you do not want to break anything (which is STILL going to happen anyways) sowhen you build something, you try and leave no room to chance. A single shear is a chance, and I would not put one on my truck, especially when going through all the trouble/money to do a kit like that. I looked at Thuren's other stuff, and looks pretty good (pics are not that great, so really hard to tell teh quality of welds and such)

Oh,I forgot....above someone mentioned that it was not Thuren, but Don's??????? I thought I was on a Thuren website????

And by the way, I am not picking on anyone (or company) I just saw something I would not do, and commented on it.

And last but not least...."The forces applied to a shock are not that great" Uh, yeah, OK All that weight and pressure from a leaf spring, what do you think is trying to control all of that from bouncing around??? That shock, and that little bitty bolt/single shear mount.
And 3 mounting points for the shock??? I count 2. Where are you coming up with 3???? Maybe becasue you do not know what a single shear mount is??? Are you refering to the shock hoop mounted to the frame with 3 mounting points? That part is done correctly. I am refering to how the shock is attached to that hoop. THAT is called single shear. Before you comment on something, maybe you ought to know what you are refering to first.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Banned

One, I did not say anyone was going to die from a broken shock mount.

I am glad that you think it will not break. Maybe you have been on the trial befoe, and maybe you have not. When on teh trail, you do not want to break anything (which is STILL going to happen anyways) sowhen you build something, you try and leave no room to chance. A single shear is a chance, and I would not put one on my truck, especially when going through all the trouble/money to do a kit like that. I looked at Thuren's other stuff, and looks pretty good (pics are not that great, so really hard to tell teh quality of welds and such)

Oh,I forgot....above someone mentioned that it was not Thuren, but Don's??????? I thought I was on a Thuren website????

And by the way, I am not picking on anyone (or company) I just saw something I would not do, and commented on it.

And last but not least...."The forces applied to a shock are not that great" Uh, yeah, OK All that weight and pressure from a leaf spring, what do you think is trying to control all of that from bouncing around??? That shock, and that little bitty bolt/single shear mount.
And 3 mounting points for the shock??? I count 2. Where are you coming up with 3????
Yeah, I've been on a difficult trail or two...but certainly not with my CTD.

Maybe I should have said "The forces applied to a shock mount are not that great". The shock does not support weight unless you have a VERY poorly designed suspension.

You can compress a shock by hand. You can not compress a leaf or coil spring by hand. Obviously the two are withstanding very different amounts of force.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Banned

And 3 mounting points for the shock??? I count 2. Where are you coming up with 3???? Maybe becasue you do not know what a single shear mount is??? Are you refering to the shock hoop mounted to the frame with 3 mounting points? That part is done correctly. I am refering to how the shock is attached to that hoop. THAT is called single shear. Before you comment on something, maybe you ought to know what you are refering to first.
Yes, I was talking about the frame mount because the top mount is barely visible in the pic. I agree that top mount could/should have a double shear. I know what a single shear is, just didn't see it in the pic. It still wouldn't concern me since it's just a shock and nobody else has seemed to be able to rip one of Don's off.

Thanks for the lesson though.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Banned

Yeah, I've been on a difficult trail or two...but certainly not with my CTD.

Maybe I should have said "The forces applied to a shock mount are not that great". The shock does not support weight unless you have a VERY poorly designed suspension.

You can compress a shock by hand. You can not compress a leaf or coil spring by hand. Obviously the two are withstanding very different amounts of force.

OK, better. I understand your point. But you are also forgetting about something, when that shock is bouncing up and down, andit builds pressure, and with that pressure comes FORCE! And with that force, it has to go somewhere, and that somewhere is the weakest point, a single shear mount.

Yes, coils/leaf springs/torsion bars/air bags (whichever a truck is using) supports the weight and gives the ride height. The shock controls all of that. When that leaf spring is compressed UP the shock is trying to bring it DOWN. When it is going DOWN, the shock is trying to bring it UP. ANd sometimes, it is doing this many times a second. Either way, teh shock DOES see extreme force/pressure, and it applies it to the mount's.

Sorry for coming off harsh in the above post. Seems lately I am on teh short tempered side. I am hoping that we can continue in a civilized manner.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Devil Dog
I don't care for that look with all that excess bracketry under the truck.
exactly. too much additional BS under there. a long arm kit would be more than suffice for an 8" kit, rather than re-locatiing/re-using stock arms.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Banned

i can bend springs in half and then throw them over a mountain. maybe youll need to eat some wheaties

alli gator

slap some tow mirrors on there for your brother too!

brett
Old 09-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
i can bend springs in half and then throw them over a mountain. maybe youll need to eat some wheaties
Dang...either that or you need to lay off the roids!
Old 09-17-2007, 10:44 AM

I was the one who said death waiting to happen...and yes I may have over reacted in the death statement on a leaf spring set-up......but why even custom build a hoop or shock mount and not have it double shear??? I am all about over kill if you gonna fab it up do it once and do it with some beef!!
Altho I don't use my CTD as a rockcrawler or pre-runner lot's of guys do and I would fell a lot more comfortable if all my links and shocks where double shear.
I still would not hesitate to put dons stuff on my truck

End Thread Jack.........
Old 09-17-2007, 11:02 AM

Look at the upper shock cap and the location of the hose then tell me how to build double sheer into that hoop.

And isn't that the factory mount on the axle?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Look at the upper shock cap and the location of the hose then tell me how to build double sheer into that hoop.

Raise the hoop 2" and weld two tabs on the bottom of the hoop.....
Old 09-17-2007, 11:24 AM

I'm not a fabricator, but I'm not sure I'd weld flat plate to the side of a round tube. I guess it could work with some shaping of the plate. And that hoop would definately have to come up quite a bit.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:32 AM

I meant turn the shock so the res line points to the engine and wrap the line around the back of the hoop and mount the res where it is now. then mount two tabs Under the hoop...like this but have the tabs rolled under more...
Old 09-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
I'm not a fabricator, but I'm not sure I'd weld flat plate to the side of a round tube. I guess it could work with some shaping of the plate. And that hoop would definately have to come up quite a bit.

Look at my pic on the double shear, that is all there is to it, here:

Quick Reply: Rize Industries Announced their new Dodge lift