3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacement fuel tank questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement fuel tank questions

Hi ya'll,

I would like to increase my cruising range a bit without taking up space in the bed (I often haul hay and feed in this truck), so I'm considering replacing the stock fuel tank with a larger model. Was looking at the Transferflow site (http://www.transferflow.com/html/dod...fuel_tank.html ); their 56 gal model would be a nice upgrade, but I had some questions...

1. These tanks come with 3/36 warranty----I'm planning on driving this truck much longer/farther than that; does that seem like a reasonable warranty period on a fuel tank, or does it seem short? Replacing a fuel tank due to rusting or failure is not something I've ever even thought about on a truck. At that price, I'd certainly be unhappy if I was having to replace it in three years.

2. Also, it mentions that these tanks "hang down 3.5 inches below the lowest part of the frame rail" ---anyone know how this compares with where the stock tank rides? I don't drive this truck in a lot of "high clearance" situations---or any, really--but I'd sure hate to bash my fuel tank on something.

3. Lastly, will replacing my tank guarantee that the sensor will go out a week later and do you think Dodge will replace it (only 20K on the truck) if the stock tank has been removed? I drove my '97 for years with no sensor, but I have to admit that with the new truck I've gotten spoiled about knowing how much fuel is in the tank!

Any other comments or opinions on these tanks would be most welcome.

Thanks.