3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

replacement air filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacement air filter

It is time to replace the air filter in my truck.I was curious about the difference between a drop in replacement and a whole new box.Would a drop in with a modified stock box work as well as a cold air kit or is the cold air kit that much better.Obviously the drop in is more affordable but if the cold air kit is that much better maybe it is worth spending the money.Thanks in advance for your opinions.

mike b
Old 12-12-2003, 09:48 PM

Re:replacement air filter

replacement filter to drop in is only available at this time from a dodge dealer , cummins doesnt have one and fleetguard hasnt been given an okay to manufacture, they are about 32 bucks U.S. , a ripoff yes and your fuel mileage will suffer for about 200 miles
good luck dont know nuttin about the other stuff you asked
Old 12-13-2003, 12:20 AM

I believe Geno's Garage has drop in AFE's. It's similar in theory to the K&N's but filters better. Around $80 some bucks if I remember correctly.The cold air kits are supposed to be great for lowering your EGT's and picking up little MPG's. So if you are doing some heavy towing or are going to do some BOMBing in the future, I would hold off on the drop-in and get the Scotty Air box. More money, but guys around here swear by 'em.-Steve
Old 12-13-2003, 05:52 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

For info on the Scotty Sydtems check
www.scottyairsystems.com
and
www.wildcatdiesel.com
Old 12-13-2003, 04:02 PM

I prefer oil charged foam to the cotten gauze. Foam flows just as well if not slightly better than gauze, but filters as well as paper or better than paper. Gauze doesn't trap the smallest of particals unless it's really soaked in the spray oil, but once you add more oil, the air flow decreases.

I've used Amsoil air filters (open cell oil charged foam) for 10+ years. Before I discovered them, I used K&N. I sure got a lot more dirt and grit out of my Amsoil filters than I ever got out of the K&Ns. My oil stays cleaner longer as well. There are many documented cases of oil having higher than amounts of silicon (super fine sand) for those who use the cotten gauze filters. Foam is much easier to clean (with Ivory dish soap in the laundry room sink); no worries about damaging the filter.

Amsoil does not have a filter for the new CTDs yet. Uni, however does. It's sold under the "True Flow" Brand. I just put one in my truck. It made more difference than the Magnaflow muffler I had (for about a week). It starts a lot easier and runs much better. There is a little more turbo whistle too! ;D

Check out http://www.unifilter.com/ for more information.

To order a True Flow (best price I've found + great service), try... http://www.midwestspecialtyproducts....f37137c169228d

The filter part number is 30200. It's $54.59 w/free shipping (coupon code: 122503 when ordering) through December!
Old 12-14-2003, 02:18 AM

AMSOIL does now list a Air Filter for the stock drop in #TS189.
You will have to contact AMSOIL for more info.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the input everyone.I think I will go ahead and pick one of the cold air kits.I just have to decide between the scotty and afe.

mike b
Old 12-14-2003, 10:13 AM

Does the Uniflow/TrueFlow drop in replacement filter
meet the Cummins filtration specs?
Old 12-14-2003, 09:27 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

MonkeyLips,

I looked on the Midwest site and found the filters. Do they come with the oil?
Wetspirit
Old 12-15-2003, 03:31 PM

Back to the Amsoil, I have one for my `03 cost $40, I think, flow better than K&N and traps more dirt, Drop right in with no mods, just like stock.

I was kind of hoping for a few extra psi on the boost gauge, but no go there
Old 12-15-2003, 06:26 PM

No problems with the Amsoil filter sealing up? If it seals up good and is $40 bucks, heck I might buy one now.-Steve
Old 12-15-2003, 06:48 PM
Banned

Dmdbit,

You might consider a por Guard 7 filter or intake system.
We have been selling a lot of the Pro Guard 7 OEM replacement filters for the 2003/04 Dodges. They are a different design and have 5 layers of a progressively tighter woven gauze backed up by two layers of non woven poly. Per AFE they stop dirt as well as a paper filter but lose very little flow as compared to the 4 layer gauze filters that let in so much dirt etc. We used to be a foam only retailer till Pro Guard 7 was available, but due to its dirt stopping and flow capability it's all we sell.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 12-15-2003, 09:08 PM

Mark, what is your opinion of foam filters and what products do you carry? Are all of them drop in?
Old 12-15-2003, 10:20 PM

[quote author=Wetspirit link=board=49;threadid=23658;start=0#msg223564 date=1071458855]
MonkeyLips,

I looked on the Midwest site and found the filters. Do they come with the oil?
Wetspirit
[/quote]

The Uni/TrueFlow filters come ready to install. They do not come with any extra oil. You can buy their clean and recharge kit for $11.95. I'm going to use Ivory dish soap and/or Kirkland Heavy Duty Cleaner Degreaser (really powerful stuff!) to clean, and super tacky Amsoil Foam Air Filter Oil (~$3.00/bottle, which will last about 4 cleanings) to recharge.

As far as them meeting Cummins specs, I don't know. I would image both the Uni/TrueFlow and Amsoil filters would if they were tested. I'll have to shoot Uni an e-mail and see if they have. Being a foam/oil air filter user for 10+ years, I fully trust that type of media at stopping all the dirt and grit.

That's good news that Amsoil got the filter out already. I didn't think they'd have one ready until at least Feb. I couldn't wait. ;D
Old 12-16-2003, 12:07 PM

I ordered the Amsoil TS-189 air foam filter yesterday that fits in the stock airbox. For the guys that already have these: Any noticable increase in MPG or quicker throttle response???

Thanks

Quick Reply: replacement air filter