3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Rail Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rail Pressure

Ok a TDR member told me I could buy a scan tool that would read rail pressure...so i figured what the heck, so i bought it.

So me and my buddy Boarbuster go riding around town while he is watching the rail pressure.

Heres some thoughts, please help explain to me.

So the Quad XZT is pressure box. It fools the computer to thinking different things which alters rail pressure.

How does a scan tool read rail pressure? is it reading fooled parameters? If so, in effect the scan tool is useless for rail pressure with the Quad box on the truck?

At idle, we saw 6,8xx to 7,1xx in park....sometimes as low 55xx at idle in D.

running around town never saw above 19,xxx with or without the Quad XZT.

What good are these rail psi readings from this scan tool?

Ofcourse with this scan tool, i can tell all kinds of cool stuff. I can read freeze frames too.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:21 PM

It is useless for reading pressure with the module on it but, if you ever hook other boxes up to it you will be able to see that the way we do it is WAY different than the other pressure type boxes!

Oh, also the boost is worthless to read from the scan tool as well!

Have fun!

Quad
Old 01-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by qzilla
It is useless for reading pressure with the module on it but, if you ever hook other boxes up to it you will be able to see that the way we do it is WAY different than the other pressure type boxes!

Oh, also the boost is worthless to read from the scan tool as well!

Have fun!

Quad
i have had an EZ in my back seat since I was at your facilities. May have to play with it.

What about downloaders? could i accurately watch how the rail psi moves with the downloader?
Old 01-18-2007, 11:00 PM

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. It all depends on if they monkey with the multipliers or if they are flat changing a map or if they are changing the references? You will never get an answer from any of them on that at all.

Just to give you an idea on something there was a company that produced a performance part and guaranteed an increase in mileage (not on a Dodge). Inside the programming they altered some code so that even if your speedo was 100% correct you would show 1 mile at .8 to .9 thenths of a mile. Obviously people were putting a lot more miles on the odometer than they were really driving so guess what?? The mileage ALWAYS went up! Pretty amazing.

Also I do not think that this is being done at the present time but, it did happen and is a good example. That is the problem with downloaders. Everyone has to 100% trust whoever makes it to be honest about what parameters are being changed.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by qzilla
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. It all depends on if they monkey with the multipliers or if they are flat changing a map or if they are changing the references? You will never get an answer from any of them on that at all.

Just to give you an idea on something there was a company that produced a performance part and guaranteed an increase in mileage (not on a Dodge). Inside the programming they altered some code so that even if your speedo was 100% correct you would show 1 mile at .8 to .9 thenths of a mile. Obviously people were putting a lot more miles on the odometer than they were really driving so guess what?? The mileage ALWAYS went up! Pretty amazing.

Also I do not think that this is being done at the present time but, it did happen and is a good example. That is the problem with downloaders. Everyone has to 100% trust whoever makes it to be honest about what parameters are being changed.
Interesting. Definitely keeping that in mind
Old 01-19-2007, 06:27 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bet youll be glad when that rail guage gets to ya.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 973604x4
i have had an EZ in my back seat since I was at your facilities. May have to play with it.

What about downloaders? could i accurately watch how the rail psi moves with the downloader?

My TST has a rail pressure gauge on it, and is GREAT!!! On stock setting (Rail Pressure) @ idle I am at @ 5-8K PSI under throttle 12-15K PSI, give or take, and under heavy throttle will hit 19-21K PSI. If I bump my Rail Pressure up to Level 1 (there are 9 levels of rail pressure) it will hit 26-28K PSI under heavy throttle. Great tuning tool. LOVE IT!!!! I am telling you guys, THIS R49AP box is the only way to go.

Think about it:
You have a fuel economy setting, and you can cut rail pressure in HALF to save fuel when just cruising on a road trip.

Adjust timing manually down low, or up top wherever you want it, there is auto adjustable timing that the TST wil control for you.

Cool Down EGT (you can adjust, I have mine set at 300*)AND time (in minutes that you can adjust, have mine set at 3 minutes) shut off.

You can add power (TQ down low, and none up top) or you can add power up top, and none down low) or you can add power through out the power band from idle to red line.

You can set a boost limit (mine is at 39PSi to try and save the stock turbo), and you can set EGT limit (mine is at 1450) before it starts to de fuel.

It has built in gauges (boost, EGT, and rail pressure)

There are so many more features it is crazy. The thing is, this box does it all. Even has programs for when you add that twin turbo, or the one big turbo, or you just want to run the stock turbo

You can add a measely 35 HP for the guy's that want to be conservative, all the way up to the guy that wants to add 195HP and 600 Ft Lbs of TQ, and then the everything in between those. And yes, you read that last line right, this box will ADD an ADDITIONAL 195 HP and 600 Ft Lbs of TQ on top of your stock truck. Of course, your stock clutch or stock auto tranny will not hold it, but when you upgrade, you can make that much power with just this box.

I know I havemade MANY post on my new TST, and it may seem like I work for them as much as I am hyping up this box, but when a product delivers what it says it will do, and THEN some, I get pumped up.

I get tired of all of the manufacturer's that promise xxxxxx amount of power gains and NOT deliver. I can tell you, TST delivers the good's
Old 01-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSminnow
My TST has a rail pressure gauge on it, and is GREAT!!! On stock setting (Rail Pressure) @ idle I am at @ 5-8K PSI under throttle 12-15K PSI, give or take, and under heavy throttle will hit 19-21K PSI. If I bump my Rail Pressure up to Level 1 (there are 9 levels of rail pressure) it will hit 26-28K PSI under heavy throttle. Great tuning tool. LOVE IT!!!! I am telling you guys, THIS R49AP box is the only way to go.

Think about it:
You have a fuel economy setting, and you can cut rail pressure in HALF to save fuel when just cruising on a road trip.

Adjust timing manually down low, or up top wherever you want it, there is auto adjustable timing that the TST wil control for you.

Cool Down EGT (you can adjust, I have mine set at 300*)AND time (in minutes that you can adjust, have mine set at 3 minutes) shut off.

You can add power (TQ down low, and none up top) or you can add power up top, and none down low) or you can add power through out the power band from idle to red line.

You can set a boost limit (mine is at 39PSi to try and save the stock turbo), and you can set EGT limit (mine is at 1450) before it starts to de fuel.

It has built in gauges (boost, EGT, and rail pressure)

There are so many more features it is crazy. The thing is, this box does it all. Even has programs for when you add that twin turbo, or the one big turbo, or you just want to run the stock turbo

You can add a measely 35 HP for the guy's that want to be conservative, all the way up to the guy that wants to add 195HP and 600 Ft Lbs of TQ, and then the everything in between those. And yes, you read that last line right, this box will ADD an ADDITIONAL 195 HP and 600 Ft Lbs of TQ on top of your stock truck. Of course, your stock clutch or stock auto tranny will not hold it, but when you upgrade, you can make that much power with just this box.

I know I havemade MANY post on my new TST, and it may seem like I work for them as much as I am hyping up this box, but when a product delivers what it says it will do, and THEN some, I get pumped up.

I get tired of all of the manufacturer's that promise xxxxxx amount of power gains and NOT deliver. I can tell you, TST delivers the good's

i have a TST. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=130065
Old 01-19-2007, 01:21 PM

The scan tool will only show what is already "fooled" and not a very good job of it. Get stand alone gauges to get more exact readings.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cquestad
The scan tool will only show what is already "fooled" and not a very good job of it. Get stand alone gauges to get more exact readings.
it is interesting to read the fooled parameters. You can see how pressure boxes work...sorta anyway.

I would have a rail gauge but DiProcol apparently can't get a gauge to me. I ordered in November and its still on backorder.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:27 PM

Wow...that stinks.

Ya...I have spent a bunch of time comparing fooled to real. IT IS INFORMATIVE.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:42 PM
wap

I like seeing how the tst reads boost and rp when it is bein fooled by the mp8.
You gota have a real set of guages, not that I knew any better when I bought mine but it has definately worked out for the best.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wap
I like seeing how the tst reads boost and rp when it is bein fooled by the mp8.
You gota have a real set of guages, not that I knew any better when I bought mine but it has definately worked out for the best.
I've found what I'm gonna go with for real gauges.....

Quadzilla Commander does it all....plus will give me adjustability of the XZT. Also, i'm gonna give my TST another shot. I'm gonna have it upgraded to multiple programs and try the twins programs.

Thats a whole heck of a lot of adjustability!

(when my TST R47 is upgraded, i won't be able to play with rail pressure or have the gauge. other than that, it will be like an R49.) heck i can't sell my TST even at $450 so i guess i'm gonna have to hold on to it.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:49 PM

Won't sell at 450? Let me make a call if you want to part with it still.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cquestad
Won't sell at 450? Let me make a call if you want to part with it still.
I offered some select friends $450 and it wouldn't sell....I don't want to see it go for that price but will let it go to a buddy. For now, i'm gonna hang on to it.

Quick Reply: Rail Pressure