3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question for Those With Fuel Vent Relocation Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question for Those With Fuel Vent Relocation Kit

I bought the kit from David Kelley and decided that I would put it on this afternoon. I read on here that the hardest part of the project was disconnecting the two quick connect fuel lines on top of the tank. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't even get that far.

The first step to this project is loosening the hose clamps and disconnecting the fuel and vent lines from the filler neck on the bed. After pulling and pushing and beating and then pushing some more for a full hour, I finally just tightened the clamps back up and put my tools away because I knew there was no way I'd finish in time for church tonight.

So, my question is, how did you guys get past that first step?? I'm not weak by any means, but those hoses just wouldn't budge. Any ideas??

-Frustrated Hoss
Old 11-20-2005, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sawzall works great. Try spraying some penetrating lube or something on there and letting it sit for a little while.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:46 PM

You don't know how close I came to getting a saw out.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss
I bought the kit from David Kelley and decided that I would put it on this afternoon. I read on here that the hardest part of the project was disconnecting the two quick connect fuel lines on top of the tank. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't even get that far.

The first step to this project is loosening the hose clamps and disconnecting the fuel and vent lines from the filler neck on the bed. After pulling and pushing and beating and then pushing some more for a full hour, I finally just tightened the clamps back up and put my tools away because I knew there was no way I'd finish in time for church tonight.

So, my question is, how did you guys get past that first step?? I'm not weak by any means, but those hoses just wouldn't budge. Any ideas??

-Frustrated Hoss

Just work a small flat tip screwdriver under the hose and work your way around it while twisting back and forth after loosening the clamps. it will eventually break free. make sure you loosen the clamps enough to slide them over the tube to make sure its not binding at all. then pull it off!!!
Old 11-20-2005, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hoss
You don't know how close I came to getting a saw out.
Wanna bet.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:45 PM

so now what's the purpose of this kit?

Tony
Old 11-20-2005, 06:02 PM

Just wait until you try to disconnect the fuel lines. I breathed so much fumes (electricity was out so no fan, and 90+degree) I bolted the tank up and quit for the day. I'll try again someday.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by TPilaske
so now what's the purpose of this kit?

Tony
Not sure it will apply to the newer trucks with the in tank pump...but for those of us with earlier 3rd gens (and maybe even 1st & 2nd gens) fueling ALL the way up takes forever. The way dodge has designed these tanks the vent sits well below the highest point of the tank (most liekly for fuel expansion). So when you get to the 1st click of the pump...from there to actually fill the tank it takes another 10-15 minutes because of the foaming diesel fuel.
So with this vent kit it cuts your fill up times by nearly 70%...mine went from nearly 20 minutes to well under 8 to fill from empty. PLUS the tank now hold nearly 40 gallons. Some folks have worried about fuel expansion...BUT I live in florida and even on 100+ degree days after filling up and parking it...NEVER have I had fuel spill out and I fill it ALL the way to the vent tube where you can see the fuel.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:21 PM

Yeah.. it does take forever to fill my tank up... I too run it up to the vent in the filler... seems to get better (and more consistant) mileage that way.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by superman
Not sure it will apply to the newer trucks with the in tank pump...but for those of us with earlier 3rd gens (and maybe even 1st & 2nd gens) fueling ALL the way up takes forever. The way dodge has designed these tanks the vent sits well below the highest point of the tank (most liekly for fuel expansion). So when you get to the 1st click of the pump...from there to actually fill the tank it takes another 10-15 minutes because of the foaming diesel fuel.
So with this vent kit it cuts your fill up times by nearly 70%...mine went from nearly 20 minutes to well under 8 to fill from empty. PLUS the tank now hold nearly 40 gallons. Some folks have worried about fuel expansion...BUT I live in florida and even on 100+ degree days after filling up and parking it...NEVER have I had fuel spill out and I fill it ALL the way to the vent tube where you can see the fuel.
I have an 05 and yes its the same. i modded mine and now it takes less than 2 minutes to completly top it off after the pump kicks off.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:38 PM

I'm about to do my vent kit tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes
Old 11-20-2005, 07:07 PM

With those electrical connections move the red slide and then squeeze the part of the connector farthest away from the pump. It says that in the directions but when you miss it re-reading them it's very frustrating.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:44 PM

MedicShawn, I didn't get that far. I never got past Step 1 where you disconnect the fuel and vent line from the filler neck on the bed.

I'll try again in a couple of weeks after I run my tank back down. I was pressed for time today so I just quit.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:48 PM

Silcone spray works wonders on rubber parts. Lift up the edge with a screwdriver and stick the straw in and spray. Give it a bit-o-time and it will slip right off and back on.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:18 AM

Spray

Originally Posted by OOPS
Silcone spray works wonders on rubber parts. Lift up the edge with a screwdriver and stick the straw in and spray. Give it a bit-o-time and it will slip right off and back on.
The screw driver and spray works great. Also note at this part of the step to have somebody with you to clean your hand up, cause this is the part that most of use pull on the hose (with lots of force), it slips off extreamly easy and there's always a nice sharp piece of metal close to where your at, that your hand WILL find and you WILL hit hard. I found having somebody with a towel and gauze works wonders for not hurting yourself. Remember Safety first.

Quick Reply: Question for Those With Fuel Vent Relocation Kit