3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

propane...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im not sure exactly what all is in it that makes it do that but i deliver propane and the older trucks that used to burn it the manifolds would always rust off and for the same with the exhaust so i can only imagine what it does to your inerds
Old 04-04-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never heard that propane is corrosive in any manner. It's a clean burning fuel used in bbq's obviously and many furnaces, boilers, hot water tanks, etc...
Old 04-04-2007, 06:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think propane is corrosive in it's natural state (even with the mercaptans added ), but I believe it is part of a hydrophilic combustion process - perhaps the high relative humidity leads to accelerated oxidation rates of the ferrous exhaust system at elevated temperatures?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
I don't think propane is corrosive in it's natural state (even with the mercaptans added ), but I believe it is part of a hydrophilic combustion process - perhaps the high relative humidity leads to accelerated oxidation rates of the ferrous exhaust system at elevated temperatures?
You were an engineer of some type... weren't you?
Old 04-05-2007, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by abc4yew
Vince....I hope those mileage figures are for towing...as that is what I get towing my 48' loaded to 33k combined on hilly trips. ks
Yeah defiantely towing mileage there 53' car hauler as for weight depends on what cars/trucks im hauling that day..
Old 04-05-2007, 03:08 AM
Banned

The only benefit i see from propane is extending your range. It will give you better millage but youll be paying for a kit, diesel, and propane. I find it hard to belive you would actually save money. Migh as well just get a bigger fuel tank.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:40 AM

I've been running propane for the last six months and also just started water last week because of high egt's(propane has had a neutral effect on egt's for me). I see a good increase in mpg around 2-3 mpg after subtracting out the propane, which by the way is quite a bit cheaper than diesel here. But propane is running really heavy on my truck right now and I need to turn it down when I get a chance because it's running at about a 1 to 3 or 4 ratio right now. The power difference is still noticable, nothing off a dyno yet, but I can feel it kick on when I hit the switch...Enough that I am able to tell when my tank is empty just by flipping the switch, without crawling into the bed of my truck and looking at the gauge on the tank. These kits run a little over a grand with a tank so only if you put a lot of miles on your truck and plan on keeping it for a while I could see it paying for itself eventually.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by goodeyesniper75
who is doing propane? is it worth it? and where do you get it filled?
Propane is great. Do your research on different types of kits. Search e-Bay and others for off-name parts. Decide if you want liquid or vapor. I use a motorhome tank mounted in the bed and just fill it at my terminal, but most RV dealers, or local hardware stores have filling stations. Good luck and go GAS--propane that is!!!
Old 04-15-2007, 09:29 PM

I installed the Propane setup from TS performance.. and i havent gotten the thing to work at all.. have sent it back to have it looked at and still nothing. im thinking about just selling it and buying a new turbo or somthing. im sick of messing with it.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No need for a kit. I just fart in the fuel tank. I get about a 1 mpg increase with every filling.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:28 AM

I remamber reading that the head pressures were pretty high by sombody on here that tested it. Been a while though. I also think I remember seeing people that run diesel, propane, water/meth and nitro.

Is this like drinkin a beer with milk, water and redbull in it? Seems like a guy would have to get pretty efficient mixture before it burns to make it work right. ?????
Old 01-08-2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by phdwhitetruck
remember propane is like salt it will rust the **** out of everything
I can second that...I have two good friends that run propane injection on there rockcrawlers....both have switched to stainless exhaust because the steel exhaust rotted off VERY quick...The one guy is a forklift mechanic, he said the older LP powered trucks have rust issues all the time...
Old 01-08-2008, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Originally Posted by trik396
You were an engineer of some type... weren't you?

Okay, I've heard enough. Henceforth XLR8R will be know as Mr. Wizard!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by tristan21
I remamber reading that the head pressures were pretty high by sombody on here that tested it. Been a while though. I also think I remember seeing people that run diesel, propane, water/meth and nitro.
Is it possible to run propane, water/meth, and nitrous alltogether? wouldn't that take a load of tuning to get all the right amounts figured out. Seems like running at least two at a time would be something quite a few big hp guys might be doing. wondedred if thats even something that can be done.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:19 PM

No way, well you could, but I think you would find yourself buying a new motor very quick, head, valves, pretty much just go pick up a long block. The Nitrous and water don't get along to well, also the propane and N2O if used together too muchw ill cause cylinder pressures that will pop a studded head in a heart beat,

Diesel Inferno from Bully Dog was a great example of that. If you Talk to Matt Snow he will tell you how much N20 you can run with Water/Meth, but it is not very much.

Just my .02

Quick Reply: propane...