3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Programmer MPG increase - true or false?

Old 11-05-2008, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Programmer MPG increase - true or false?

I have this theory about tuners/programmers, and their effect on mpg. I believe that they "fool" the in cab mpg display to tell you that you are getting better mpg, when in fact that isn't the case. I have spoken to numerous people, and read numerous posts on internet forums (this one and others) where owners claim significant gains in mpg when using a tuner or programmer.

Also, most of the manufacturers of these devices use that fact as "testimonials" to sell their product. In order to prevent themselves from getting into any "jackpots" over false advertising claims, they usually craftily word the ads like; "Our customers report a 2-6 mpg increase when using our tuning!" and other such claims.

I'm here to tell you it just isn't the case - at least not to the extent they'd have you believe.

I tested a Superchips programmer for mpg improvements on my previous 2002 Dodge/Cummins Ram, and now have tested the Hypertech Max Energy on my 2007 Dodge/Cummins Megacab.

On the 2002 truck, if I drove easy, in the lowest power setting, I noted a 0.5 mpg improvement from stock. In the higher 2 settings, I lost mpg. That truck DID NOT have the in cab mpg display.

In the 2007 (which I just filled today), the overhead computer (which I had reset on the last fill) told me I was had got an average of 21.4 mpg on that tank on my daily commute. When hand calculating distance driven over gallongs used, I actually got 18.5 mpg (50/50 city/hwy) - a 3 mpg overshoot by the in cab display.

Also of interest is that the effect on my Scangauge II is even more dramatic. It has me at 30+ mpg most times on the hwy.

When the weather warms up again, I plan to compare the lower 2 settings to stock on the Hypertech to see if there is in fact any mpg increase. I don't have the amount of data I would like to have before saying yes or no, but it is interestingly possible that I may be gaining a tiny bit of mpg (nothing close to 3,4,or 6 mpg though). Stay tuned for that in the spring.

I'd like to point out that I'm still happy with the purchase of the Hypertech programmer, as this is what I was expecting to happen. The power increases are still there, so I prefer to look at it as increases in power, with no penalty in mpg - the best of both worlds.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:21 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Smarty DEFINITELY messes with the factory guess'o meter.

It constantly reads 19-19.5 (and higher) when I am only getting 17 or so.

I would say anyone who is relying on the overhead for data should be hand calculating, and also over a long period of time.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 PM

^^^^^ Agree totaly, hand clac all the way, my guess-o-meter is off by 2mpg. I also saw an increase in mpg when I got the smarty jr (1.5 mpg) is about all, but I will take it, it is better than no gain at all. I also like the power...
Old 11-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I believe that when you increase the HP to weight raito, you will see some MPG gains. I believe that I see them with what I have IF I can keep my foot out of it...
Old 11-05-2008, 07:23 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Huh.

Even after about a year of Smarty ownership, my foot still has a mind of it's own at times.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:33 PM

I agree, I see a mpg gain for about a 1/4 tank and then my foot cant take it anymore and the last 3/4 go by a lot faster and the ride is more enjoyable
Old 11-05-2008, 08:00 PM

I've never really seen mileage increase with the tuners/programmers. I honestly don't really even pay much attention to the overhead. I got 15-18 before Smarty, and I am getting that after the Smarty.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by ib516
I believe that they "fool" the in cab mpg display to tell you that you are getting better mpg, ...
That is why one of the first questions to mileage claims is always: Hand calculated or Overhead? The overheads are constantly shown to be over stated. That being said, I've seen definite mileage gains using programmers. No overhead in my truck- its all hand calculated.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
None here
when I pay for power......I use it
Old 11-05-2008, 11:35 PM

mee too with smarty jr on sw#2 and a light foot. almost 2mpg hand calc turning 1650 rpms on hwy hand calc with 3:73 and 35's
Old 11-06-2008, 12:38 AM

I haven't driven it enough to get a good sample, but the Smarty POD enforces my economical driving habits. I just pretend that I am driving an old stock 1st gen as the truck struggles to get to 2500 rpm on POD 30 with software #9.

But when I punch in 99, all bet are off... So far I have been able to conserve.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:00 AM

Probably a very good benefit of the Smarty POD. I am seriously considering, but already use my ODB port for information for my Bully Dog. I don't want to have to keep pluggin and unplugging the other. Decisions, Decisions....
Old 11-06-2008, 06:39 AM

Smarty gave me 2 to 3 mpg, not overhead either, highway and farm. Not all trucks are the same on mpg gains either, my truck was pretty bad on fuel stock.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:27 AM
KKB

My Smarty beta 4.4 is definately better on MPG's than it was stock. But the overhead is way off with it. I got 22.9 MPG's a year ago driving 58 mph and the overhead said 29 something. That same trip without the Smarty I would have been lucky to get 20. Both the bullydog and Smarty I have owned will give better mileage hand figured, but the Smarty on beta 4.4 has done the best for me.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:05 AM

I have been told the overhead goes crazy, becuase it doesn't know about the extra fuel being added.

With my quad chip my overhead is usually within .5 of actual and I see maybe an extra 1 mpG,

My brothers 06 dually stock, his overhead reads 27MPG or more It gets around 18-19 actually.

A guy that put Bully Dog on his pickup was bragging saying he was getting 26MPG now over the 18 it was before and he was even giving it hell..... His hand calculation made him very sad when it was 14 (he had been giving it hell)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Programmer MPG increase - true or false?