3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Which Programmer, Chip, or Box Do You Recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Programmer, Chip, or Box Do You Recommend?

Hello All,

New to this forum. Just got a 04.5 Dodge Quad Cab Short Bed and couldn't be happier. I want to draw out some extra performance and mileage from it. What would you all recommend for a chip, programmer, or tuner? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Irwin
Old 05-07-2006, 04:11 PM

Let me be the first to welcome you to the site....If you buy a box buy one with the features that you like, not soley on mileage increases. Most people may get a little mileage increase if they keep their foot out of the throttle but find that hard to do. I guess what I am trying to say is buy a box based on your performance needs not mileage....I will be purchasing a edge juice when I upgrade...
Old 05-07-2006, 04:11 PM

I have the Edge J/A and the MP8 Ramifire on my '05. They are both good in their own way, but, I would recomment the Edge J/A to start. ITs a great box, no issues with it here, great milage, smooth power, perfect safety features, etc. Easy as can be to install.

My first mods were gauges, CAI, Dynomax Bullit muffler and Edge J/A. Since I have removed my cat, added the MP8, and did some trans mods. I am planing on a fuel pump upgrade next and then ride out the turbo until it gets tired, and get a better one. If I was doing it again, my list of mods would go as follows:

CAI, muffler, remove CAT, Edge J/A and maybe some guages if you want more then the edge can offer. If you use it sensibly, you will get many trouble free miles. If you punch it all the time and use the high settings, good luck!

Old 05-07-2006, 04:32 PM

Hello and welcome. As said already the Edge/Attitude is a good way to go as it gives you gauges and power all in one. I ran it for a while but switched to BullyDog's TripleDog since I already had seperate gauges. I like the TripleDog better but I am sure some would disagree. There are alot of options out there but these are the ones I have used. Which ever way you go I would suggest getting gauges to monitor whats going on under the hood. The power can be fun and safe if you are careful with it. As for a mileage increase, when you feel the power from the skinny pedal it is hard to stay off of it to see an increase. But it can be done, I think, maybe.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:53 PM

I have the Quadzilla Xzillaraider on my MegaCab and I'm very pleased with the results. Lots of power, easy install, no CEL's, and great customer service. I'll be adding their Commander as soon as it become available.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:04 PM

Edge Juice with Attitude... I WANT MINE!!! I cant wait for the big brown to show up and drop her off. Hopefully this week
Old 05-07-2006, 08:10 PM

With any modifications, what gauges are necessary/recommended? I assumed EGT, Boost? Any others? Sorry, I am sure this seems ignorant to even ask, it's just I have NO experience with modding diesels.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:34 PM

Without any modifications, an EGT gauge boost gauge, and either a fuel pressure gauge or if you have an auto tranny, I would get the transmission temp gauge over the fuel pressure.
But honestly, I don't see why they are neccessary on a completly stock new truck that is designed to tow over 15,000 pounds with ease. Just my opinion but they are cheap insurance and will only help out later when you mod it.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by 0425004x4
Without any modifications, an EGT gauge boost gauge, and either a fuel pressure gauge or if you have an auto tranny, I would get the transmission temp gauge over the fuel pressure.
I have a 6-speed so EGT, Boost, and Fuel Pressure would be the 3 to have ?
Old 05-07-2006, 08:37 PM

Those would be the best 3 to have.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:53 AM

Thank you for all the great information. I'm still in the planning process for what I'm going to do with my Dodge. Greatly appreciated.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by 0425004x4
Those would be the best 3 to have.
Those are the ones I hope to put in, I like the Di Pricols, I think they're the best match to the factory gauges. No one here sells them, I think I'll get an I-pillar kit from Diesel Manor.

Not sure about chips though, like to keep the factory warranty and I think if they see the chip they could void it..¿
(...Also hear it depends on the dealer, but there has been dealers that say it's not a problem until something happens, then they point at the chip and tell you you're outa luck).

This truck is a big investment for me, not sure if I want to risk it...
Old 05-11-2006, 10:09 AM

I think the Bullydog triple dog is tough to beat for price and features. I would also suggest getting the TS MP8 to stack with it as it really makes the Triple dog come alive. Other options are TST, Edge J/A, or Diablosport Predator.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
For the Money the Quad box std. is a great box. Half the price of an J/A with about the same performance. If you are not going to go crazy the Quad is the way to go hands down. Customer service is great also.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:52 AM

Hello All,

Just wondering where I can get the Di Pricols Gauges? I did a search but came up short

Thanks again,

Irwin

Quick Reply: Which Programmer, Chip, or Box Do You Recommend?