3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

PML Trans & Diff Covers

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PML Trans & Diff Covers

Are there any 3rd gen owners using the PML Diff Covers in particular? I am pretty impressed with the design of their product. What's more, they have both the rear and the front's available for 3rd gens and their rear cover uses all 14 bolts.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Karl
Old 10-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Banned

PML Covers

1tuffdiesel,

We have sold 35-40 of the 3rd generation PML covers and everybody is very happy with the product. The 2004.5 has a different axle and is a different PML part number so you would need to know if you have a 2003/04 or a 2004.5 to make sure you get the right part for the correct truck. The 2004.5's have a 11.5 inch gear while the 2003-04's have a 10.5 in the rear and a 9.25 front gear. Give us a call if you have any questions on them we can probably save you some money and help with info too!

Mark @ DPPI
Old 10-04-2004, 01:41 PM

All HO from 03 on had a 11.5 inch rear...I believe.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:48 PM

Why does increased capacity reduce full OPERATING temperature? If you put a gallon of water on the stove and set the tempature constant, the water will take so many seconds to reach the ambient temp. If you do the experiment again with only more water, same stove temp, the time to reach the same temperature is only longer.

Also...another thought. Has anyone ever considered how brittle cast aluminum is while exposed to impact forces? One small backup into a rock could crack/break a cast cover which would only otherwise slight dent the OEM one.

Just thinking out loud...
Old 10-04-2004, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My question is , have they designed them specifically for the DODGE, or are they doing what MAGHYTEC is doing and just using their duramax cover? The problem is that the mag hytec rear cover is hitting the spare tire, and is requiring that it be moved/remounted. SOme guys have 'rigged' their tire so it doesn't hit, I prefer to get parts that fit.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Lightman
My question is , have they designed them specifically for the DODGE, or are they doing what MAGHYTEC is doing and just using their duramax cover?
This is specifically designed for the Dodge which is why I would rather go with it than the MAGHYTEC.

Mark, on the original door sticker from Dodge it say's I have the 11.5" rear axle. Therefore, I "assume" I have the 11.5" gear.

Karl
Old 10-04-2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by cquestad
Why does increased capacity reduce full OPERATING temperature? If you put a gallon of water on the stove and set the tempature constant, the water will take so many seconds to reach the ambient temp. If you do the experiment again with only more water, same stove temp, the time to reach the same temperature is only longer.

Also...another thought. Has anyone ever considered how brittle cast aluminum is while exposed to impact forces? One small backup into a rock could crack/break a cast cover which would only otherwise slight dent the OEM one.

Just thinking out loud...
All good questions as well. That's why I'm interested in getting some feedback from other users. I don't want to get caught up in the "buy it becuase I can or other's have it" syndrome. I don't like to second guess the mfr or their engineers but sometimes certain components can provide additional value over stock items (sometimes).
Old 10-04-2004, 05:30 PM

I dont know that the increased capacity itself will reduce the overall operating temp., but I do know that aluminum, specifically finned aluminum, dissapates heat very quickly and with that much fluid capacity it would take a very long time to reach the same temps as stock. Also look at the surface area of the covers, it is much larger than stock allowing for even more cooling.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:37 PM

I don't think the time to max temp matters that much...just maximum temp. I agree that the finned design will aid in cooler...just how much is the question?

And weather it is worth the tradeoffs of the additional cost, increased maintanence cost, clearance issues, and risk of fracture/brakeage faliure?

Has ther been any reported heat caused failured of our rear ends?
Old 10-04-2004, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think most people do this for looks and ease of changing fluids. I doubt there's any cost effective performance benefit.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:32 AM

I don't think clearance will be a problem even with my 285's but cquestad has certainly made me think twice in terms of durability of the cover itself. I'm certainly not in a rush since I'm only at 7,500 miles and I may just stay with the stock cover. Ease of changing fluids is the main reason for me wanting to go with something like the PML cover (and the look too). However, I guess it's not a bad thing that you have to pop the cover off to change the fluids as it forces you to look at the gears for any damage to the teeth.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Banned

cquestad,

Part of the equation to reduce temps is extra fluid, the other is the aluminum itself will radiate the heat out much faster than a stamped steel cover will. Now you add fins to increase surface area and the fluid temp reduction goes even lower. You will also notice the fin pattern on the PML covers is different on most part numbers. The object is to get the maximum number of inches in length for the fins as that represents more surface area which again lowers fluid temps faster than just straight lines that are actually shorter than the various patterns PML uses. Also the reason we do not sell the powder coated pans, powder coating is a VERY good insulater.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 10-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Banned

Lightman,

The covers are designed specifically for the 2003/04 and then for the 2-004.5 Dodges. The 2004.5's have different gears and that changes the part design. There haven't been any spare tire clearance issues to my knowledge fro the one we hhe sold. By now I would have thought someone would have compalined if there was a fit issue.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 10-05-2004, 11:59 AM
Banned

1tuffdiesel,

Yes if your door says 11.5 that should be what was installed by DC at the factory. I also got some new info from PML yesterday that says there is a sticker in the glove box that ID's the diff size too!

Mark @ DPPI
Old 10-05-2004, 01:55 PM

Mark,

I am well versed in thermo dynamics and the design of cooling fins. I am wondering if there are any hard numbers to prove the actual cooling effect of these covers? In my opinion, there are too few, too short fins to have a substantial effect. I agree that the aluminum alone will help, but to what degree?

At what temp to we consider the oil in the diff and or the diff's contents itself to be in trouble?
I would not think that 230ish degrees f and less would have adverse effects...

I agree they look nice, but...is it worth the above stated cons?

Quick Reply: PML Trans & Diff Covers