3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Pics of Sound Deadening My Truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics of Sound Deadening My Truck

I had sound deadening material call Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro applied to my truck floor and doors today. F/X Audio in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada did the work, and did a fantastic job.

In this first post are picutures of the job Certified Radio in Edmonton Alberta had done when I asked them to dynomat my doors. The slapped on a couple of pieces and crushed my rear floor vent tube! I couldn't believe it!
Attached Thumbnails Pics of Sound Deadening My Truck-certified-radios-idea-dynomatting-door.jpg   Pics of Sound Deadening My Truck-certified-radios-idea-dynomatting-door-2-.jpg   Pics of Sound Deadening My Truck-certified-radio-crushed-my-rear-floor-heat-tube.jpg  
Old 02-12-2010, 10:03 PM

And here are some pics of the new install, properly done. It took them 26 man-hours. The silver material is the Damplifier Pro and the grey material is the Luxury Liner Pro.

It really killed the road noise and made a huge difference in the sound of the stereo. I can hear more music detail and the stereo sounds much warmer.

As for the engine noise, it's only slightly muffled, but not much. But then what would I expect with having no catalytic converter and a louder performance muffler (Aero).
Attached Thumbnails Pics of Sound Deadening My Truck-stripped-out-back.jpg   Pics of Sound Deadening My Truck-luxury-liner-pro-floor.jpg   Pics of Sound Deadening My Truck-passenger-damplifier.jpg   Pics of Sound Deadening My Truck-passenger-llp2.jpg   Pics of Sound Deadening My Truck-spray-adhesive-apply-luxury-liner-pro.jpg  

Old 02-13-2010, 02:49 AM

How far up the firewall, behind the dash, did you go with it?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:14 AM

There was a rubber pad that started at about the gas pedals and went up under the dash. They lifted it as and snuck it in to about where the steering column goes through the firewall. To go past this, they'd have had to have removed the dash.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:31 AM

What kind of cash did that cost? It didn't help with exhaust noise thou, that's what I was hoping that it would help with. I have stacks and like the sound but with my skid unit in it is loud. Was hoping that would work.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:50 AM

The dampening materials were about $1000, and I have some left over, which I might do the hood with.

I guess in terms of cost, would I recommend sound dampening? Yes, I think it is worth the money. The truck feels much more like a luxury vehicle because of the sound inside the vehicle. It feels solid because it sounds solid. I've always disliked how cheap the interior of 3rd gen Dodges seemed. Would I pay someone to install the sound deadening material again? No. I'd try to find space in a shop and do it myself since it's not that difficult. It's just time consuming.

I'm also going to go check out a company here in Edmonton to see if they would apply "Spectrum" from SecondSkinAudio.com as an undercoating if I brought it to them.

But I think the biggest thing for quietness will be changing my exhaust system, which should happen here in the next few weeks. I'm customizing a turbo-back Magnaflow exhaust system...but that's a whole other future post...

Last edited by EdmontonCanada; 02-13-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Add extra info
Old 02-14-2010, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good!
Absolutely the best stuff going, I did the same treatment to mine but in the front doors I used their SPL tiles for dampener ( I didn't want to take it all apart again if my 8" mid basses found any loose spots) also have a layer of LLP inside the door on the outer skin. Incredible how heavy that LLP is LOL
Old 02-14-2010, 03:31 PM

Yes! Very heavy. The guys who installed it said they wouldn't want to do doors again with it. Took two of them to put the door panel in place - one to push on the panel and the other to move it into position.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:21 PM

Hmm...in retrospect I think I would have coated all interior panels with this:

http://www.quietcoat.com/html/technology_overview.html

Looks like it works really well for those low frequencies. My RTA tells me most of the diesel engine noise centers around 85 Hz.

I think I'll try it for undercoating the vehicle and doing the truck hood, instead of the "Spectrum".
Old 02-15-2010, 05:52 PM

Have you read Rudy's showdown on these different products (not sure if the one in the link is tested)?
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
The LLP you used IMO is about the best product you could have used as a noise barrier, it needs to be applied correctly as all products do but the MLV has some of the most mass (1lb/sqft) of all the products used and mass is the only thing that stops noise.
One really large area of engine noise is the dash, hence the rubber/MLV pad Dodge used. If you spent the time removing the dash and treating it and the cowl area you would see large gains. As you mentioned the other big source of engine noise is thru the hood and front windshield, unfortunately were stuck with the glass LOL
I also noticed a difference from pulling the front inner wheel liner and gluing pieces of LLP to the areas I could get to.
Ideally if the engine and trans were out you could completely blanket the entire firewall and floor pan in MLV or even better thin lead sheet.
I treated the roof with a layer of CLD and then two large pieces of LLP where the headliner would allow but it was probably only 70% coverage, this helped out allot with my midbass killing road noise.
My issues were around 200hz
Old 02-15-2010, 08:12 PM

Cool. Thanks for the link!

So I think my next gameplan is this: undercoat the vehicle as thick is allowed with sound damping material, since you can't really apply sheets here. I'll also spray the fender wells and hood, but in addition to this, I'll use the LLP sheets.

I guess someday when the engine and tranny get rebuilt, I'll use the extra LLP I have on the firewall.

Would be nice to remove the dash...but...doesn't sound like much fun to me!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 AM

Heres a pretty good pictorial of a ram deadening job including the dash, he used dynaliner instead of LLP but it gives you a good idea of the work involved.
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-quad-cab.html
The Spectrum and Sludge are great products
Old 02-17-2010, 07:26 AM

If you guys want to save some money try out RAAMaudio. Its an individual that keeps his prices reasonable. I was able to do the cab with two to three layers of his stuff (BXT) and some closed foam material (ensolite) for under $300 if I remember right. I had the same issue, still some engine noise, but the road noise is completely gone. When just sitting there it sounds like you are in a gun safe, haha. It was nice to buy from a small guy, and we were able to talk on phone and chat about what I was wanting to do.

http://www.raamaudio.com/
Old 02-18-2010, 02:37 PM

I have used Ricks BXT (not the newest one but last years stuff) great guy to deal with.
It is a good CLD for the $ but it would take 1.5 layers of it to be as effective as one layer of Damplifier pro so if you need 1.5x more dampening the BXT isnt any cheaper.
Ensolite and LLP are two different animals with different purposes, however the LLP has the foam isolator built in so it eliminates the need of the foam.
I guess the question is when/who/where needs a CLD or barrier of that ability...................that would be your call?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:11 PM

I've got the QuietCar spary on deadener on order and it should be here next week. I wanted to get the truck undercoated anyway, so why not use a product made for sound deadening purposes?

I came originally came across the QuietCar site looking for home audio sound deadening products: http://www.quietsolution.com/index.html They had what appears to be top-notch stuff, so I figured the QuietCar product of theirs might be just as good...and some guys on a car audio forum said it was unmatched...

So I went to a detailing shop yesterday and they said they'd spray it on my truck hood, fender wells, and underbody for $250. It'll be interesting to see how/if that makes a difference to the noise. But again, people hype up their products so much...at least I'll get an undercoating out of it if nothing else.

I also got my Magnaflow exhaust system today (stainless turbo back five inch to muffler, splitting to dual four inch with five inch tips), but I'm awaiting a custom resonator to have a shop weld in for me before installing.

In another thread I asked about exhaust system design questions, and a guy gave me the following link for taming the loud Cummins engine. I might go this route too...I wonder how much it costs...I'm going to call tomorrow if I can remember:

http://www.atpwrap.com/html/dodgecummins.html

Who knows, maybe in the end my truck will end up sounding like a hybrid. Ha! Fat chance!

The goal is to get it as quiet as possible, without sacrificing too much of performance. I spent a lot of $$$ installing an awesome sound system with navigation. Also, I want my customers to be able to hear me on bluetooth as well. The audio guys are tuning my sound system next week (Audiocontrol DQXS) to competition quality sound...and that...

...will take THREE DAYS!

Quick Reply: Pics of Sound Deadening My Truck