3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

PIAA Replacement Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 10:56 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up PIAA is top drawer

I've had a set of PIAA Dual 900's on my 98, then my 2001 and after I get new lens' I am putting them on the 04 in between the lover and upper bumper area.
The wiring harness, housings etc are all real nice hihg quality stuff.
The lens assembly is 156.00 per side in Canuck bucks.
Dunno if thats high or low. At first I thought it was a bit rich for the glass. Maybe not.

Even though the lens on the left lights is smashed and open to the elements, the lights still work.
I think I'll get new bulbs too. Plus the replacement ones for our factory lights.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what does changing out to those 9007 bulbs really do? Is it a higher wattage output? what is stock output? Just curious why changing the bulb makes that much difference. It definitely looks like a bluer/cooler color temp of 3800K compared to stock.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes..it bumps them from55-60w to 100-110w of light...just go to the PIAA sight to see the difference....
Old 01-04-2004, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know the specs for the headlamps and fog lights are 9007(QL) and 9006(LL) respectively. What are the two letters for? Will any 9006/7 series lamp do?
Old 01-04-2004, 03:09 PM

This is in regard to upgrading to higher wattage bulbs ...I did that in my last truck and ended up burning off the wiring connector at the bulb base twice ..and was told that i was lucky I didnt toast my headlight shell....the dealer actually fixed it both times under warranty...but the second time was alot less understanding..just a bit of warning from my own exper. also I have had Piaa light in the past and they are a HOT running light to start with..hope you dont have the same troubles i had..it took about a month to break it down enough so that it would melt so keep a close eye on the connectors
Old 01-04-2004, 04:27 PM

Exclamation

Originally posted by vernl
Not sure if this is breaking the thread but for extra lighting I went to 4 ( 2 switches and relays) KC Hilites that are 6 inch and 150watt..I had a set of Piaa 1000 (2 lites) on my last truck and while I wasnt disapointed I didnt know what Light was till i got this set up..I have the outside 2 pointed along each ditch and the middle 2 set down the middle of the road.. I have them aimed for 400yards and figure if i cant stop by then I'm going wayyyy to fast and at that distance I can see evey little detail perfectly..these lights are a sealed beam unit and are only 15 bucks each to replace them if they burn out...i put in all 4 for the price of the 2 small PIAA lights and for my uses I cant go back
I like your style Vernl. I run 150 watt aviation marine lights on a separate switch hooked to the high beams and have for years. Best light for the buck but only where its ok to use them. I will be trying a set of these PIAA's for highway though. The stock lights are poor enough to keep the speed down in Moose country. These will burn out if you have them on while your parked.

Old 01-06-2004, 12:41 PM

I've got the PIAA 580's mounted on the grill guard and hooked up thru the high beam switch. I also have a switch in the cab that controls the power to the PIAA's so when the high beams are on, I have the option to have the PIAA's on or off. A good idea if you have to flash your lights at someone and don't want to switch the PIAA's on and off.
Got the 'pencil beam' version - out in the country I need to see far ahead on the back roads so I don't hit a moose....these things light up the road easily a mile ahead !

Question for you guys that replaced the stock 55/60's with PIAA's - do you find that they are too bright on low beam setting for on-coming traffic ?
Old 01-06-2004, 12:49 PM

Location: Dead Center in the Middle of TN. 20 miles from Jack Daniels, 10 miles from George Dickle and .8 mi from the liquor store at I-24 Exit 114
The PIAA replacement bulbs are not that intrusive. They are what the lights should have been from the factory.

I still need a driving light to reach on out and see that moose.

I think we are mixing two subjects here and causing some confusion. The PIAA repalacement bulbs I have are not airplane lights, thay are a real good normal lighting package with the upgrade. I do still see the need for a set of driving lights to address the issue of further lighting needs and see a set of the 520's for that. Jim
Old 01-06-2004, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is anyone worried about side effects of the increased output of the replacement 9007 bulbs? Some have suggested increased heat burning things up etc....
Old 01-06-2004, 06:32 PM

Location: Dead Center in the Middle of TN. 20 miles from Jack Daniels, 10 miles from George Dickle and .8 mi from the liquor store at I-24 Exit 114
5 minutes, really?????

OK maybe six or seven, and I'm not counting finding the tools now, jus' the replacement! Jim
Old 01-06-2004, 08:00 PM

ok I am a bit confused (as usual) The piaa site lists these as DOT legal. so, unless my memory is incorrect they can't be rated for more then 55/60. So is the difference gained by using a different color balance? If so would that mean they draw more amperage? Finally, did anyone measure the difference in amp draw to make sure they wouldn't burn out the factory switch?

I have 90/100w bulbs in my jeep and couldn't run them on high beam until I installed an aftermarket harness. maybe someone that has done the switch could takes some amp draws for us? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:25 PM

I just installed a set of the PIAA 9007 Xtreme White Plus Bulb HB5 12v 65/55w > 120/110W for a 2004 2500 Ram.

There's a sticker to mount under the hood that says "PIAA HEALIGHT BUBLS ARE FMVss108 COMPLIANT" and the side of the container says DOT approved. So, who knows....

I'll keep an eye on the wiring harness for next couple of days and make sure not to use highbeams unless truck is moving....

Oh, got them for $66 including shipping from AutoPerfection in Rocky Mount NC, off the web...

Next...waiting for my bushwacker flares to arrive YIPPIE
Old 01-07-2004, 06:46 PM

I put piaa's on mine also, big improvement
Old 01-07-2004, 08:09 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by rjweiss
Sounds like PIAA is the way to go...

Thanks guys

Ron W.
What IS PIAA anyways? I hear about it all the time, but never bothered to research it.

Quick Reply: PIAA Replacement Bulbs