3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Performance on a budget - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance on a budget - Help!

My first post...looks like a wealth of information and knowledge here.

I just bought an 07 Ram 3500 with the 5.9 Cummins - love it!(had 2 powersmokes before and I really like the way this cummins runs)

Here's the deal - I'm on a tight budget - we just had a baby and I'm building a house, but I think I can sneak in a few goodies, with your help.

Looks like exhaust, more air flow and a good tuner are key.

Exhaust
-------

I'm thinking that rather than swap the whole system, just install a good stainless muffler for improved flow. I think MBRP model # Mk96116 is a direct bolt-on replacement?

Air Flow
-------

What's the best one available, given my tight budget?

Tuner
------

Looks the Diablosport Predator is in my budget - is it any good? What others in a similar price range exist? Will it take into account my increased airflow and exhaust, or does it base it's settings on a stock truck?

Lastly, at some point in time, I'm gonna need guages and I'm concerned about any possible engine damamge in running too hot of a setting.

Should I be? What's a good safe setting ? I won't be doing much towing with it yet.

Sorry for all the newbie questions, and I do appreciate your opinions and help.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not positive about the exhaust, you can make yourself a BHAF(big honking air filter) for about 20 dollars, or you can dril big holes in your air box and get a good drop in filter. You can also get a Quadzilla standard box(65HP one setting) for less then 300, it would all be safe.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:57 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heres the deal.

Your truck already has a full 4" exhaust. Ditching the muffler and replacing it with plain old 4" tubing will help keep everything cool and flowing (SOUNDING) real nice.

The stock air box is reported to be absolutely fine for mild modifications. You can do a search on "Stock Air Box" or "Air Box mods" and get some good tips/pictures on how to modify the stock box and tube for some more flow and better turbo whistle. Might as well search "silencer ring removal" while your at it.
If you insist on a new intake set up, I have found S&B to the cheapest by far and still a quality system. Expect to spend about $185.00 shipped for that unit with the filter, ready to go.

Tuner= SMARTY.

Gauges: As gay as it sounds, I would (and did) do them FIRST. It will give you a baseline on your readings, you'll know what is considered "normal" or within stock parameters for your truck. A lot of us have analog gauges, more and more are going with the monitor (LCD) style all in one set up. They both have their pro's and con's. Expect to drop about $400 on a good set of analog gauges and the related hardware, the same or maybe even less on a monitor type.

Good Luck.

Use the search button, it's your friend.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:59 AM
P.J
Banned

Fill in your signature (in "user cp") this way people can see what kind of truck you are talking about i.e: Auto/Manual, etc.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:59 AM

IMHO, I would think about doing gauges to keep tabs on everything else you plan to do.
If your truck is an auto, Id go with EGT, Tranny temp and Fuel Pressure. Maybe consider a boost also.
Better safe than sorry.
The MBRP your considering is a direct replacement.
Dont appologize for the newbie questions.
We have all been there and thats how we learn.
Good luck with your truck.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:02 AM

you can do a homemade intake like mine it's pretty cheap to set-up...and it sounds awesome flows more air then you would need too!!
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=129265
Old 03-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Banned

My sig. line is not showing up yet - I'll figure it out.

The truck is a 3500 SLT 4X4 6 spd.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2007, 09:07 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by walker
My sig. line is not showing up yet - I'll figure it out.

The truck is a 3500 SLT 4X4 6 spd.

Thanks!
Ahhhhh, wise fellow, going with the G-56!

Now were talkin, you can at least be assured you won't have to drop 4 G's on a new performance auto.

I like the mineral too, I sometimes wish I had waited and went with that color.

Nice.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Banned

Yea, I didn't want to take a chance on an auto with all the torque this motor has on tap.

I was going to get the Inferno Red, then at the last minute changed my mind - this mineral gray is absolutely stunning in the daylight.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by P.J
Heres the deal.

Your truck already has a full 4" exhaust. Ditching the muffler and replacing it with plain old 4" tubing will help keep everything cool and flowing (SOUNDING) real nice.

The stock air box is reported to be absolutely fine for mild modifications. You can do a search on "Stock Air Box" or "Air Box mods" and get some good tips/pictures on how to modify the stock box and tube for some more flow and better turbo whistle. Might as well search "silencer ring removal" while your at it.
If you insist on a new intake set up, I have found S&B to the cheapest by far and still a quality system. Expect to spend about $185.00 shipped for that unit with the filter, ready to go.

Tuner= SMARTY.

Gauges: As gay as it sounds, I would (and did) do them FIRST. It will give you a baseline on your readings, you'll know what is considered "normal" or within stock parameters for your truck. A lot of us have analog gauges, more and more are going with the monitor (LCD) style all in one set up. They both have their pro's and con's. Expect to drop about $400 on a good set of analog gauges and the related hardware, the same or maybe even less on a monitor type.

Good Luck.

Use the search button, it's your friend.
This guy wants to go cheap i dont think hes looking for a Smarty.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:14 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by acook
This guy wants to go cheap i dont think hes looking for a Smarty.
Well, I saved him $400 in the first sentence by telling him the stock exhaust and air box it just fine, so he's ahead of the game in my mind.
What's $685.00? He just signed on to a $40,000 truck!
Old 03-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Banned

Yea, the Smarty's kinda too much for my budget right now...believe me, with 2 sport bikes and a bunch of nice trucks, I've dropped a ton of money on mods in my day and it's killin' me having to be a tight wad right now !
Old 03-16-2007, 09:23 AM

Diablo Puck

Tow mod $165 at http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/diablo/power-puck.htm
Old 03-16-2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
you can do a homemade intake like mine it's pretty cheap to set-up...and it sounds awesome flows more air then you would need too!!
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=129265
Totally awesome being an amsoil dealer, and working for a tractor dealership i built if for less than 110 bucks. Just finished it last night and is way better than my K&N.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:02 AM

I would have to agree with P.J. Save the money on the exhaust just replace the muffler and mod your air box and add a filter. Take the money you saved there and get a smarty. I believe you would be saving more money in the long run going that route.

Quick Reply: Performance on a budget - Help!