3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Performance Accessories Body Lift?

Old 03-09-2006, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Accessories Body Lift?

Thinking of getting a Performance Accessories 3" Body Lift to get the truck up a bit higher (already have a 3/2" suspension lift). If anyone has one...how do you like it....and if you installed it yourself...how difficult was it to install?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:10 PM

every truck Ive been in that had a body lift felt horrible goin down the road.Most of them were removed after a few thousand miles. Some people like em. I dont.Just my opinion.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:12 PM

I had one in my F-150 for about 280,000 kms it was flawless. But I don't think I would use one in this caliber of truck, you may end up seeing alot of frame anyway.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jennis2613
Thinking of getting a Performance Accessories 3" Body Lift to get the truck up a bit higher (already have a 3/2" suspension lift). If anyone has one...how do you like it....and if you installed it yourself...how difficult was it to install?

Body lift bad. It is bad to body lift anything, especially our trucks. besides the weight and everything else, you would have the intercooler tubing to deal with as well. if I were you I would just look into a 4.5 to 6" suspension lift. Just my .02
Old 03-10-2006, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by BlackSunShyne
Body lift bad. It is bad to body lift anything, especially our trucks. besides the weight and everything else, you would have the intercooler tubing to deal with as well. if I were you I would just look into a 4.5 to 6" suspension lift. Just my .02
He's right. Body lifts are cheap, but it is on of the worst mods you can do. Especially with a heavy cummins up front. If you read Patterson 4wheel and Off Road and look in the reader's rides section they have a worst mod for each ride. At least 80% that have body lifts list it as their worst mod. They break, ride stiff, and look bad (depends on taste, and if you want your frame sticking out under your truck). You'll have to buy intercooler hoses, fender shields to block water from getting to your engine, bumper relocation brackets (won't be towing with your bumper anymore). Fabtech sells a 5" lift for under $1000. That's your best bet.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:43 AM

i have had 5 lifted trucks and 4 of them had body lifts 1 was a 1 ton ford with the v-10 and another was an 01 3/4 ton ram with the cummins my friend did all of them and i never had a problem with any of the body lifts on any of the trucks but i also never kept any of them more then a few years.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:44 AM

Thanks for the input...I'm still not sure which way I'm going to go...bigger suspension lift or body...I'm concerned about the drive live angles, especially on a short bed, if I go higher suspension.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go with suspension if you do anything offroad. If you dont go offroad and you dont mind how ugly that space looks under your truck than go for the body lift. I have had 3 different body lifts and they all failed on different trucks. But I used to offroad my trucks at least 3 times a week. suspension is the only way to go. Body lift will also give yo ua little more body roll because you are offsetting your center of gravity a little differently than you do with your suspension lifts. To me body lift = wasted money and time
Old 03-11-2006, 09:29 AM

The drive lines are fine with a 4-4.5" lift.

The dealership I bought my truck from will install lifts this size as an option when you buy the truck new. They told me the warranty is just fine or they would not be doing it. They are a Dodge and a Ford dealer.

At any given time they have a few of each with lifts and bigger tires on the lot brand new for sale. The only stipulation they have is that they will not increase the tires size more then one size larger unless the truck has the optional lower axle ratio from the factory. I asked him about changing the ring and pinions and he said you don't want to go there with the dealership doing the work ($$$$)and if you get that done anyplace else you will void the warranty.

They have a Ford F150 there right now with 4" lift 35X1250's that is just fantastic looking, brand new and full warranty. They installed a high end JL audio system, DVD, full suspension upgrade, tires, sun roof, keyless entry, LineX bedliner, they did a whole lot to this truck. It's gonna be nice for somebody!
Old 03-11-2006, 10:16 AM

We jsut Did a 3 inch body on a 2004 1500 and it was a long day! It took about 6 hours and then PA sent us the wrong steering knuckle so we had to wait for another 4 days to ge tthe truck out of the shop. I guess the knuckle that comes in the kit is the wrong one. We had SO many problem with the kit not fitting correctly on the truck that the company told the customer that if he ever wanted to do a body lift again on ANY other vehicle it would be free... In other words, just because I have installed one, I would totally NOT get one!
THats my .02