3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Painted Taillights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painted Taillights?

Well guys i was going to go with some black led taillights I had off of my 03 truck but the connectors didnt match up to the ones on my 07 truck so that was a no go. Im kinda tired of the smoked recon third light with stock red 07 taillight I saw some tonight on a 06 truck that had just been painted with 3 coats of Black and Cleared and their third light was also done this way and all I can say is wow and they were still functional amazingle a little dim but nothing like I would have expected. Has anyone else done this any pictures out their work involved, etc?
Old 06-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CReed
Well guys i was going to go with some black led taillights I had off of my 03 truck but the connectors didnt match up to the ones on my 07 truck so that was a no go. Im kinda tired of the smoked recon third light with stock red 07 taillight I saw some tonight on a 06 truck that had just been painted with 3 coats of Black and Cleared and their third light was also done this way and all I can say is wow and they were still functional amazingle a little dim but nothing like I would have expected. Has anyone else done this any pictures out their work involved, etc?
Man you need to get some pic's... I talked to Heath and they are coming out with smoked taillights but not for a while!!! I too want mine that way!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 10:37 PM

this is the way i did mine when i was stuck out of town for work.........done in the hotel parking lot with no more than a scotch brite pad, some adhesion promoter, then a couple layers of duplicolor paint(its the paint that somebody ised on here to make black chromed wheels, look up the thread), and then i cleared them.....if i can get some pix of'em ill post up....they look goooooooddddddd!!!!!
Adam
Old 06-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I would be interested in painting the main body of mine and leaving the circle red. My truck is too tall and I would just get rear ended by some low rider with 13 in daytons on it!!! LOL!! And the cops around here would have me pulled over in a hear beat without clearly visable lights.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:06 PM

what about the vht nite shade stuff. isn't it made for that sorta thing. i was wanting black tail lights but i dunno whats gonna look the best.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:09 PM

If anyone needs an extra set of tailights I've got a set of OEM tailights layin around in the garage I would be willing to sell. I might try it myself and see how I like them compared to my depo led's.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Banned

They are suprisingly visible thats the only reason i havent looked into it further until he showed me how bright they actually were and i was amazed. I dont think i would be harrased by cops and believe me i get pulled over alot the last thing i want to do is give them something else to give me a ticket for
Drasko if you got pics that would be awesome. It was dtr member Black-O-Mega whos truck it was and boy does it look good.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Banned

Yeah Pic's please!!! I remember the thread about the black chrome painted caps!! Looks good!!
Old 06-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Banned

Townsend600 I had depos on my 03 truck and sold them to BigredBCS and he was parked right next to Black-O-Mega and boy do the painted ones look better and cost is way less also. I have my factory third light i may try it first and see how it goes. I also found some headlight tint on ebay sweet!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Spray...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-24-2007, 11:32 PM

Hey Creed I just talked back to my painter buddy to double check what I told you eariler.

He said just take you a regular glass coffee cup and put in 2 tbl spoons of black paint and then fill it up with clear. Mix it real good and then shoot it on the taillight. He said don't use any thinner. The more coats you put the darker it will get.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Banned

Nathan that sounds about right to me 2. I think im going to play around with my factor third light tommorow a buddy of mine has a PPG color match machine im either going to do them black or maybe mineral gray to match the truck which do yall think would look better? Im probably gonna let him spray em im sure id have runs everywhere and orangepeel like a champ.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:17 AM

I blacked mine out on my 06 the taillights as well as the third brake light I will try to get some pics up
Old 06-25-2007, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by CReed
Nathan that sounds about right to me 2. I think im going to play around with my factor third light tommorow a buddy of mine has a PPG color match machine im either going to do them black or maybe mineral gray to match the truck which do yall think would look better? Im probably gonna let him spray em im sure id have runs everywhere and orangepeel like a champ.

Man I would really like to know how the grey would look! It would give it that shaved look vs the black sticking out. I just wonder how the light will come through the grey?
Old 06-25-2007, 09:21 AM

3 coats of VHT

wonder if I should of only used 2
Old 06-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Banned

Alright guys i did a little researching and took some ideas from part of this thread and a few other and the advice of a few local painters. I took my stock third light that i had laying around due to installing a smoked recon awhile back and scuffed it up a little with a scotch brite pad. then i took just some grease remover/paint prep to the surface and let dry. I then took some bulldog adhesion promoter found at walmart b/c autozone didnt have any and then picked up some regular ultra black aerosal paint from autozone and a can of clear also then went down to the local ppg paint place and got a can matched to my paint code PDM Mineral Grey Metalic and came home and taped up on side and sprayed on the adhesion promoter two coats on coat waited 5 minutes then another coat and let it dry for about ten minutes. Then I sprayed the ultra black on the left side 3 light to mild coats about 1 and a half apart. then I applied two coats of clear and am letting dry currently and will go back out later tonight and do a little wet sanding with some 1500 grit sand paper and do a little wetsanding on it. But so far it is looking good just not sure how the black will look on my grey truck so im doing half black and half truck color just to see which one looks better.

Quick Reply: Painted Taillights?