3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

OEM Cab light Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jasnic02
How did everyone get the metal shavings out from there? I did put some towels up there stop it but when I can still feel some shavings up there .. and the shop vac won't reach up in there without really bending the headliner down.

Anyway .. my main question is one of silicone. Did everyone put a layer of silicone on the gasket when they installed theirs?
I used a shop vac also and just sucked up what I could and called it good!!! I must have gotten enough out cause there are no rattles or anoying sounds from up in the roof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm assuming you put the silicone on the "foamy" gaskets???????????????????????

I did not and would not suggest it, that is why there is a gasket there!!!!!!! Mine has yet to put up a fuss or leak.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:11 PM

That's good news .. once I clean up all the leftover silicone I will begin round 2. Where did you put the silicone? I put quite a bit on the 1/4" holes with the plastic bits (those might be fun to get out tomorrow!). Did you put any anywhere else?
Old 05-13-2007, 08:01 AM

Use a UNIBIT also known as a step drill to make all holes in sheet metal. After 20 years of mangling metal I was introduced to these amazing tools. Try one and you'll be amazed how you lived without it!

CP
Old 05-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Banned

Nice job!

I don't have the gonads to do mine, but appreciate someone whoe does...
Old 05-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Banned

It's really not that hard at all.. It harder to drill and tap an egt guage!!!
Old 05-13-2007, 01:06 PM

I used a GreenLee cutter to make clean perfectly round 7/8 center holes for my cab ligts. I can't imagine how some guys ever got a decent hole cut in there with a hole saw or regular twist drill. My 1/4 twist drill holes for the plastic screw holders looked bad enough as it was. I used no silicone on anything and have been through several downpours with no leaks. I've got a couple of cool night time shots I need to get uploaded.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Banned

Once again more wonderful info!!!
Old 05-13-2007, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by DiEseLjunKy
I used a GreenLee cutter to make clean perfectly round 7/8 center holes for my cab ligts. I can't imagine how some guys ever got a decent hole cut in there with a hole saw or regular twist drill. My 1/4 twist drill holes for the plastic screw holders looked bad enough as it was. I used no silicone on anything and have been through several downpours with no leaks. I've got a couple of cool night time shots I need to get uploaded.

Its a shame those greenlee tools are SOOO dang expensive...

I heard about someone else using them for their lights, researched where to buy them, and I dont think I can pony up the cash for a set...
They work great though, from what ive seen and what you posted, no snagging the metal or jagged edges
Old 05-20-2007, 04:35 AM

OEM Cab light Install

Instead of using the hole cut out saw. I would use a small drill bit then use a step up drill bit, you can make it any size hole you want. Just my 2 cents. My wife wants them lights on her truck, but I see has less than 2000 miles. I will wait until I know I can do it.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:15 AM

I'm convinced that all of these lights will leak after a couple of years of weather and with a sideways rain or snow. I siliconed mine as good as anybody could and there were no mistakes with holes or alignment or anything. Now they will leak if I spray water at em or during a sideways rain or snow. The water then runs over the top of the apparently waterproof headliner and then down the front pillars. (has a plastic layer on top) Bonus eh? It makes me wonder if they were really worth the trouble or not.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tbone
I'm convinced that all of these lights will leak after a couple of years of weather and with a sideways rain or snow. I siliconed mine as good as anybody could and there were no mistakes with holes or alignment or anything. Now they will leak if I spray water at em or during a sideways rain or snow. The water then runs over the top of the apparently waterproof headliner and then down the front pillars. (has a plastic layer on top) Bonus eh? It makes me wonder if they were really worth the trouble or not.
We've has some hurendous sidways storms here and not leaks yet and it's almost been a year since I've done this???

Shane
Old 05-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Banned

ANOTHER thanks for the write-up and pics! My install is next weekend, my lights were just smoked by my body guy....and we'll use his shop. I like the idea of the Greenlee tool....I remember those from my years as an electrician (MANY years ago). I am printing page 2 and will post pics in a couple weeks.

Oh...my 07 did not have the lights and I bought the RECON Smoked kit, but I didn't have the harness. So, I bought the OEM kit and gave the lights to Brian to smoke. We're gonna see which ones I like best and install from there. I'll end up with at least one set of spare smoked lights.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SCVipermad
ANOTHER thanks for the write-up and pics! My install is next weekend, my lights were just smoked by my body guy....and we'll use his shop. I like the idea of the Greenlee tool....I remember those from my years as an electrician (MANY years ago). I am printing page 2 and will post pics in a couple weeks.

Oh...my 07 did not have the lights and I bought the RECON Smoked kit, but I didn't have the harness. So, I bought the OEM kit and gave the lights to Brian to smoke. We're gonna see which ones I like best and install from there. I'll end up with at least one set of spare smoked lights.
Hey post pic's when done I might be interested in the smoke lights!!!

Shane
Old 05-20-2007, 11:36 AM

Finally found the greenlee cutter for sale by itself...

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/greenlee/31962/

Now, do I buy the $30 greenlee or the $30 stepbit?
Either of which ill probably only use once...
Old 05-22-2007, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i went to harbor freight today and got a metal knock out punch set 1/2 to 1 1/4 on sale for only $15.99, there just like the greenlee. i tried it out on some tin roof out back and they worked pretty well, my lights should be here tomorrow and ill try it out on my truck. not a bad idea if this is all you will probably use it for. i saw them online but had trouble finding them in store, they were in the section with the metal punches.

Quick Reply: OEM Cab light Install