3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OEM Cab light Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also had one catch spin freely and that's the one that won't let my center light sit exactly smooth
I ditched those POS keepers and used "well nut" threaded inserts instead. The rubber expands in the hole as it's tightened down giving a good seal and solid attachment for the cab-lights.

http://oemfasteningsystems.thomasnet...rts?&forward=1
Old 01-07-2007, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
I got mine from dodgeparts.com, THere is also moparparts.com, ebay,
You can also get them from the dealer.. I called them and they had the same price as dodgeparts.com but they were atleast a week to get the. Had mine in two days...

Shane
Well, I found the lenses, bulbs and nuts on dodgeparts.com and i thought it was kind of sucks you have to buy each piece separate. I guess that's what you get from a collision body parts catalogue. One more question where is the template at. Thanks, Shane
Old 01-07-2007, 09:05 AM

You shouldn't be looking in the collision parts. You need to look in the aftermarket accessories section. There's a kit in there that comes with everything including wiring and the template.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by t-boe
You shouldn't be looking in the collision parts. You need to look in the aftermarket accessories section. There's a kit in there that comes with everything including wiring and the template.
Right here is what you need...

https://www.dodgeparts.com/product_i...92472e3f45799a
Old 01-07-2007, 11:36 AM

I did mine as soon as I bought the truck. I used the Mopar kit. Drilling 15 holes in the roof is not for the faint of heart. Just line up the template carefully, move slowly and carefully and don't let your wife see what you're doing!

I spliced my wire into the left marker light. The instructions tell you to take the fuse box apart but that seemed like way too much work. Haven't had a problem with leaks but I'm going to pop them off in the spring and see if the holes are corroding
Old 01-07-2007, 12:14 PM

Thanks guys....
Old 01-07-2007, 09:28 PM

Thank you very much. This helps alot.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Luvnacummins for the excellent write up. I printed it out and used it step by step and the cab lights turned out great. The only thing I did different is wiring mine into the prewired plug in the passenger piller . It's been about a week with 3 or 4 days of rain and no leaks yet.
Thanks again, Scott
Old 01-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by toolaidback
Thanks Luvnacummins for the excellent write up. I printed it out and used it step by step and the cab lights turned out great. The only thing I did different is wiring mine into the prewired plug in the passenger piller . It's been about a week with 3 or 4 days of rain and no leaks yet.
Thanks again, Scott
Awesome, Glad I could help out...

Shane
Old 03-03-2007, 04:14 PM

Went to order a set after reading post and getting the guts to drill my roof......darn it I have a sun roof and they won't work
Old 03-03-2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by kwpatton
where can I get these cab lights and template?

It comes with the kit!!!!!!

Great detailed thread I did mine over 2 years ago, the first week I had the truck. Mine is holding up great and still NOT leaking

The hardest part for me was drilling all of the holes after spending $40 K on the truck. Better me than the "techs" at the dealer!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by P_Talley
Went to order a set after reading post and getting the guts to drill my roof......darn it I have a sun roof and they won't work
Yes, you can.. My 05 had a sunroof and had the lights also....

Shane
Old 03-04-2007, 02:17 PM

My dealership only charged me $90 for the install. They did an awesome job, my dealer doesn't typically go by the hours in there computer. Still, great write up, and I think for $189 I would have attempted it myself too!
Old 03-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by powerchokeater
My dealership only charged me $90 for the install. They did an awesome job, my dealer doesn't typically go by the hours in there computer. Still, great write up, and I think for $189 I would have attempted it myself too!
Wow, $90 that's a good deal!!!

Shane
Old 03-04-2007, 08:24 PM

Ok .. so my attempt at this has turned horribly wrong. The holes I drilled are ok (one might be a bit off) .. but I am having some problems. So, I've been working on this all day and as it turns out the harness from the kit seems to be defective. I didn't test it prior to drilling holes so now my truck must live in the garage until I get another kit. *sigh* It appears that one of the bulb sockets is grounded (only 2 fuses to figure that out!). I verified that it wasn't a cable grounding inside the truck by completely removing the harness and testing .. no visible spots where the wires themselves are grounded, so that leaves the sockets.

I do have a couple of questions though .. I did not remove the headliner, only lowered it a bit. How did everyone get the metal shavings out from there? I did put some towels up there stop it but when I can still feel some shavings up there .. and the shop vac won't reach up in there without really bending the headliner down.

Things like this would be so much easier if I wasn't so **** about everything. I hate to see the crease form in the headliner by bending it down, but then I don't want to take the whole headliner out because I would have to mess with all those plastic pieces.

Anyway .. my main question is one of silicone. Did everyone put a layer of silicone on the gasket when they installed theirs? I did this first time around but now I have a complete mess on top of my truck since I had to remove them. Once it dries it should come off just fine, but they will be a pain to remove if a bulb ever goes out .. so I was thinking about not putting a layer of silicone on the gasket, but putting a fair amount of silicone around the holes. For the 7/8" hole, did you guys completely fill that with silicone after the bulb attaches to the lens, or just a little bit?

I should've never started this project .. I've had the truck a week and I have 15 holes in it!

Quick Reply: OEM Cab light Install