3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New truck....now what mods??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New truck....now what mods??

Just picked up an 07 5.9L Quad Cab. VERY excited and love it. Already changed out the wheels tires and added a Carli starter kit...very happy again. Now the fun stuff. I don't want to go all out...quite yet. Exhaust and air intake, gauges and programmer is my plans....turbo and tranny later. My main thing is I LIKE how quite it is stock and don't want it super loud like my last truck. I was considering leaving on the CAT and putting on a Hushpower muffler with an S&B air intake system. Lastly, BD X monitor and a Smarty(that I will keep turned down below 100hp). Question is......S&B and Hushpower seem like a good choice....and what Smarty should I get??? I will change the tranny and turbo, etc in the next year, but not yet.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I can't really help you on the exhaust... I had a silverline muffler on with no cat, and it was too quiet for me. It sounded good, tho... I like it loud, tho...

Get the regular smarty, you could go for the PoD if you want adjustment on the fly. I see that you said you'll keep it turned down... hope you keep to that statement. Turn it up, and watch the tranny take a poo... Make sure that you are watching you EGT's and fuel pressure at a minimum.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:31 PM

if you dont remove your silencer ring, I would get an AFE stage 2 as it will flow great and be all the air you will ever need. If you want more spool noise you can always remove silencer ring. It makes a BIG diff. If you gonna run a built tranny and turbo I assume your going for big power. I'd get the Smart Sr so6. I don't like the POD but I'm 6'8" and my leg is in the way of the obd 2 port it plugs into so maybe the POD. On an 07 (like mine cut your cat off and get a queit muffler...once again its gonna flow almost a good as a full replacement does on some of the older 3rd gens. All of that will make waaayyyy more power that you can use till you get your tranny so keep it turned down if you anything like me. I had a sr. on my 05 and could not stay out of the higher settings so I got a Jr. till i get my tranny and turbo...and sticks, cam,injectors and springs.LOL. You can sell it for almost what you pay for it when you go bigger and save a few hundred for the intake now. The Jr also makes over 100 hp on the highest setting and when your truck breaths better with no cat and an intake with a high flow muffler,well, it feels like more than a hundred to me.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:43 PM

On the exhaust. . . I will have to agree with MadHat. I had a 6" almost turbo back on my '05 and it was loud and Deep. I loved the way it sounded. I was then given a 4" dual turbo back from silverline and it quieted the truck down "a lot". I know my neighbors were excited when I did that. I personally would remove the cat and install the muffler of your choice. I was using an AEM workhorse and loved it.

I wish you luck when you say you will keep under a 100hp tune on your truck. I said that as well and a flexplate and a tranny later I just upgraded it all.

Congrats on the new truck
Old 11-06-2008, 08:55 AM

Cut that cat off and replace with a cat delete pipe, then cut that muffler out and put on a 41" Donaldson...sounds good on the outside and no drone in the cab & I can hear myself think.

I like the AFE stage 2 intake on mine of course there are others. If you are going to get a programmer go with Smarty, it will give you more to play with down the road. As the guys have already stated don't get to crazy with it or your tranny isnt going to like you very much.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:42 AM

Is the Cat delete neccessary....and how does that affect the sound inside the cab? what performance gains are noticed from this? Hard to find a shop to do it?