3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New Smarty JR software weak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AH64ID
The difference is maybe .25 mpg for me.
I think I'll give it a try then...this should also (in theory anyway) spool the turbo faster right?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Adaminak
I think I'll give it a try then...this should also (in theory anyway) spool the turbo faster right?
Slower actually. As timing increases spool decreases. Stock timing spools the fastest of all the timing settings.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Slower actually. As timing increases spool decreases. Stock timing spools the fastest of all the timing settings.
Right...so going from TM4 to TM 2 should spool a bit faster as well as reduce smoke. Or am I backwards (again)?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:53 AM

Right...so going from TM4 to TM 2 should spool a bit faster as well as reduce smoke. Or am I backwards (again)?

Yes, sorry.. I was reading your timing change backwords.. Was thinking TM2 to TM4, but you are already at TM4.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:18 AM

Changed my mind...I'm going to leave things as they are for awhile. I've been driving a little differently, and when I roll into the throttle, the truck takes off like a rocket; probably faster overall than the way it used to hit hard and shove me into the seat with a wide-open stomp at 1500rpm.

Curious though; why would it feel boggy with a full-throttle mash at 1500 rpm, but a fast roll-on from 1100 runs great?
Old 08-02-2011, 01:01 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
I just updated my dad's Smarty Jr. earlier today. I happened to check MADS Electronics website and the only description they give for the software update is "Improved DTC management." I'd like to think that if they made any changes to the tunes themselves, they'd mention something about that.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Guys, Getting ready for a road trip and need to update to the newer version... I've followed all the directions on mads site. However, do I need to return my truck back to stock before I update the new version?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 AM

Changed my mind...I'm going to leave things as they are for awhile. I've been driving a little differently, and when I roll into the throttle, the truck takes off like a rocket; probably faster overall than the way it used to hit hard and shove me into the seat with a wide-open stomp at 1500rpm.

Curious though; why would it feel boggy with a full-throttle mash at 1500 rpm, but a fast roll-on from 1100 runs great?
I honestly think it's perception. The more I drive it the more I like it, much smoother power. I don't think there is any loss of power, just smooth increase which has a lower effect on the seat. Rolling from 1100 you are fueling less than the pedal position (Tq management) so it's maxed out sooner is my guess.

Originally Posted by CLS LLC
Hey Guys, Getting ready for a road trip and need to update to the newer version... I've followed all the directions on mads site. However, do I need to return my truck back to stock before I update the new version?
No need to.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:01 PM

So can I just upload the new version to my Smarty Jr, and then plug right back up to my truck?

Sorry this may be a dumb question , just dont want to F* anything up.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:02 PM

I did it that way just last week.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by CLS LLC
So can I just upload the new version to my Smarty Jr, and then plug right back up to my truck?

Sorry this may be a dumb question , just dont want to F* anything up.
I actually asked AH64ID that same question...

Yeah, what he said!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Sounds good . He is the man when it comes to answering questions!
Old 08-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Another confirmation that you do not need to take your truck back to stock first.

I just updated my Smarty Sunday and will update the truck today and I still have the old version SW3 on my ECM.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:54 PM

Just upgraded from version 18 to 19 last night. Can't tell much yet, except it does fill like it's soften up my trans shifts. I always run with Tow-Haul turned on my 07 5.9 and this morning it shifted like it would before with tow haul turned off (doesn't slip). Not sure about this yet. Just feels softer, hope this isn't going to be a negative. I run SW3, TM 4, TQ 2 but never beat on it, don't think that I have ever opened her up. LOL too old for that any more and don't need it. Besides trans is stock and shifts fine, but not sure about this "Softer shift" feel. That was why I always use Tow-Haul because it gave me more of a crisp firm shift... Will eventually get around to installing a shift kit.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:44 PM

Yeah...I'm a big fan of this newer tune!
Further, if you really want to appreciate your Smarty, take your truck back to stock for the day like I had to when getting some electrical work done yesterday. WOW...couldn't wait to get home and dial her back in!

Quick Reply: New Smarty JR software weak?