3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New muffler, too quiet.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muffler?

Dont need no stinking muffler!
Old 09-26-2006, 02:08 PM

I'm actually looking into a device that increases the decibles to something like a cross between a lunar rocket and a steamship. Yea, that's the ticket.

But seriously, when your stealthy and quiet and 4 car lengths in front of the guy that was only moments ago, reving up his kazoo sounding ricer, doesn't that make up for it?
Old 09-26-2006, 05:21 PM

will the banks be louder after it burns in , Ive had flowmasters before and they were alot louder after a couple weeks,
Old 09-26-2006, 09:08 PM

Cotton, I plan on putting the MBRP muffler on tomorrow (if time permits). If I like the sound of the MBRP, I will sell the Banks Muffler. As 03whitedually mentioned, the Banks may get louder as it burns in and gets some soot in it, I have experienced this in the past with other mufflers. It is a nice muffler, well constructed, but it is just too quite for me. I must say, I do like the sound of it better now (on the outside of the truck) than I did when I first installed the system. On the inside of the truck, it is nice and quite, no drone whatsoever. Nontheless, if I decide to sell it, I will PM you and let you know.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:23 PM

For what it's worth, I think the sound of my stock system has changed since I bought it 17k miles ago.

The Fruitman
Old 09-28-2006, 08:27 PM

Well, I finally got my new MBRP muffler installed yesterday in place of the Banks Monster muffler. Due to time constraints, I had to take it to a local muffler shop and have them switch out the mufflers for me. Only charged me $20 though. After the swap was done and they fired the engine up, it sounded sooo sweeeet! I drove home with all four windows down listening to the sweet sound of my cummins making power. I am very pleased with the sound, however I think they installed the muffler with the lover openings facing the front of the truck instead of facing the rear like most everyone on here runs theirs. Can any damage result with running the muffler with the louvers facing the wrong way? I absolutely love the sound of it, no drone inside the truck and loud and aggresive on the outside. Just wander if I need to have the muffler flipped around...
Old 10-23-2006, 11:04 AM

Isn't there a flow arrow on every muffler?
I would wonder if you are getting the maximum flow through, or
Max EGT reduction. "Damage" and Performance should be your
concerns. Heck, wouldn't that suck if it was actually increasing
the EGT's (but I doubt it).
Fruitman
Old 10-23-2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by RyeThomas
It was a county of Fairfax cop, not a state boy. Their are a few roads I avoid towing on due to the state boys always setting up thier side of the road truck checks for fear they will look under the truck and see something missing!!!
But the silverline exhaust is by far my favorite, and i wouldnt change it. I think this cop would have pulled me over no matter what aftermarket muffler I had.
Geez, and I thought living in California sucked...
Old 10-23-2006, 12:30 PM

^^^No kidding!^^^
Old 10-23-2006, 01:36 PM

Having the openings facing the engine probably doesnt do anything but make it slightly QUIETER. If you feel you need just a little more volume, just have the muffler shop flip the muffler.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Oilburner04
Well, I finally got my new MBRP muffler installed yesterday in place of the Banks Monster muffler. Due to time constraints, I had to take it to a local muffler shop and have them switch out the mufflers for me. Only charged me $20 though. After the swap was done and they fired the engine up, it sounded sooo sweeeet! I drove home with all four windows down listening to the sweet sound of my cummins making power. I am very pleased with the sound, however I think they installed the muffler with the lover openings facing the front of the truck instead of facing the rear like most everyone on here runs theirs. Can any damage result with running the muffler with the louvers facing the wrong way? I absolutely love the sound of it, no drone inside the truck and loud and aggresive on the outside. Just wander if I need to have the muffler flipped around...

With the MBRP muffler, mine came with three stainless steel hanger rods welded to the muffler for the stock rubber isolator locations. The inside louvers faced out so I can't see how they could reverse it unless the muffler didn't come with hangers? I got mine from Pier's Diesel and Harry said MBRP are not making anymore turbo back pro series 304 stainless systems for the 2003-2004 305/555 motors. I got the last one they had in stock Chucked the supplied cheap u-bolt clamps and used 4" band clamps made from 304 stainless. No drone and the best part is my mileage has gone up.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:31 PM

I have the same problem on my 99 ram 24 valve

I recently installed a 4 inch turbo back banks monster exhaust system on my 2004 Dodge Ram ( I know it's a banks, but I got it for a goood price). Before, I was running a flo-pro muffler with the stock 3.5 inch pipe from the turbo. After installing the system, I assumed it would sound good, but to my surprise I can't even hear it. The flo-pro I had was much nicer! Anyway, I am looking for a muffler to replace the banks with. I am fairly new to diesels and any advice anyone can give me will be grealy appreciated. I am looking for something with a deep and throaty sound. I even considered doing a muffler delete pipe, but being in VA. that may not be such a good idea. Any suggestions??
I put 4" stacks and straight pipe on my 99 ram 24 valve Cummings and it was way to loud for the neighborhood. I put the monster muffler in the system and now I can barely hear the stacks. What did you end up doing to get the sound you wanted?
Old 01-24-2020, 05:41 AM

Hey just read your info is your truck a 3rd gen Cummins? Did you just change your muffler and leave everything else stock in it like the cat and the resignator? I have a 3rd gen stock with a smarty tuner amd a afe intake.