3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New muffler, too quiet.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New muffler, too quiet.

I recently installed a 4 inch turbo back banks monster exhaust system on my 2004 Dodge Ram ( I know it's a banks, but I got it for a goood price). Before, I was running a flo-pro muffler with the stock 3.5 inch pipe from the turbo. After installing the system, I assumed it would sound good, but to my surprise I can't even hear it. The flo-pro I had was much nicer! Anyway, I am looking for a muffler to replace the banks with. I am fairly new to diesels and any advice anyone can give me will be grealy appreciated. I am looking for something with a deep and throaty sound. I even considered doing a muffler delete pipe, but being in VA. that may not be such a good idea. Any suggestions??
Old 09-20-2006, 11:41 PM

I like my mbrp, 4" inside diameter, straight through, sounds much better when packed full of soot
Old 09-20-2006, 11:44 PM

Cool

Happy with the RokkTech here.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just ditch the muffler!!
The following users liked this post:
Earl Moses (01-17-2021)
Old 09-21-2006, 07:42 PM
wap

What does VA have to do with it, cut that bih off.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:37 PM

The only thing keeping me from taking the muffler off and putting on a muffler delete pipe is the cops around here. The state police are strict on loud exhaust systems, and if I pull the muffler off, I am sure I will get stopped for it sooner or later. I would like to here an 04 straight piped to see how loud it is. Ah well, one disadvantage of living in VA I guess...
Old 09-22-2006, 07:24 PM

The 3rd gens aren't that loud straight piped. Especially if you leave the cat and only remove the muffler. As long as the cop isn't sitting with the window down next to to your exhaust tip as you stomp on it when the light changes you'll prolly be fine. They aren't really loud unless you get in it hard. As with anything - don't be stupid about it (unless you look around first
Old 09-23-2006, 11:02 AM

Where my truck is an early 2004 model, it doesn't have a cat. converter on it. That is one more reason I am hesitant to run a straight pipe. I have been told that the converter will take the edge off of a straight piped truck. I suppose it wouldn't hurt anything to try a muffler delete pipe.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:37 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I live in norther VA and got popped in fairfax for my truck being too loud. This was before my twins, I run a silverline 4" turbo back with 6" tips and got nailed. If you straight pipe in VA be prepared to get popped, I got popped with the silverline muffler on. I was at a light saw the cop a few cars back so I took off slow and still blue lights. In the commonwealth of VA any aftermarket parts that make you vehicle louder than stock are a no-no. Trust me after installing my twins my truck is patheticly quiet, but I cant straight pipe it for fear of a ton of tickets.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:55 AM

I have had no muffler on my truck for a year and I live really close to the city, in NOVA. I'm not easy on the throttle either. Cops haven't bothered me yet.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:33 PM

Well dont head into fairfax city, it cost me $89.00. The cop gave me a book with all the laws for the commonwealth of VA and asked me to read it while he was kind enough to write my ticket. I would love to straight pipe my truck but dont feel the need to be pulled over for dumb crap. Good luck to everyone who has a great sounding truck, wish I could.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:56 PM

RyeThomas, who gave you the ticket, was it a State Trooper or a town cop? Down here in Southwest, VA. where I am located, the Troopers are the ones you have to watch out for. For the most part the town cops wont bother you unless you are extremely loud or doing something stupid. At one time I was looking at the ANSA Silverline exhaust systems, glad now I didn't get one I suppose. I went to a local diesel shop this evening and picked up an MBRP muffler for a sweeet price. A customer had ordered a new system and decided to run the straight pipe instead of the muffler, so the muffler was disgarded. I may try to put it on sometime this week in place of the Banks Monster and see how it sounds.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:05 AM

It was a county of Fairfax cop, not a state boy. Their are a few roads I avoid towing on due to the state boys always setting up thier side of the road truck checks for fear they will look under the truck and see something missing!!!
But the silverline exhaust is by far my favorite, and i wouldnt change it. I think this cop would have pulled me over no matter what aftermarket muffler I had.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Oilburner04
RyeThomas, who gave you the ticket, was it a State Trooper or a town cop? Down here in Southwest, VA. where I am located, the Troopers are the ones you have to watch out for. For the most part the town cops wont bother you unless you are extremely loud or doing something stupid. At one time I was looking at the ANSA Silverline exhaust systems, glad now I didn't get one I suppose. I went to a local diesel shop this evening and picked up an MBRP muffler for a sweeet price. A customer had ordered a new system and decided to run the straight pipe instead of the muffler, so the muffler was disgarded. I may try to put it on sometime this week in place of the Banks Monster and see how it sounds.

I live in SW VA too. That is too true...the town and county are usually pretty cool about it all, but the state boys are pretty tuff on a fella about mufflers, window tint, ride height, seems like almost anything gets you pulled now, lol. I mean look at my sig. lol, I have two (2) mufflers now...
The following users liked this post:
railroaderone (04-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Oilburner04
I recently installed a 4 inch turbo back banks monster exhaust system on my 2004 Dodge Ram ( I know it's a banks, but I got it for a goood price). Before, I was running a flo-pro muffler with the stock 3.5 inch pipe from the turbo. After installing the system, I assumed it would sound good, but to my surprise I can't even hear it. The flo-pro I had was much nicer! Anyway, I am looking for a muffler to replace the banks with. I am fairly new to diesels and any advice anyone can give me will be grealy appreciated. I am looking for something with a deep and throaty sound. I even considered doing a muffler delete pipe, but being in VA. that may not be such a good idea. Any suggestions??
Oilburner,

Would you like to sell the Banks muffler? I just put a 4 inch straight piped exhaust on my 95 and it is way too loud. I just need the muffler, not the whole exhaust, and I want something relatively quiet.

Thanks,
Jeff

Quick Reply: New muffler, too quiet.