3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New MBRP exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New MBRP exhaust

I have the 2003 Quad Cab Long box 2wd with a AIRAID air cleaner. In Canada the local manufacturer is MBRP. Will a 4 inch really increase HP torque and increase mileage? I have read MBRP "tune" their muffler for each application to reduce noise inside the cab, is this true? We travel with our 5th wheel twice a year and put on 20,000KM on each trip noise will be a big issue my wife would shoot me if the cab is unliveable with the new exhaust so anyone who has a MBRP I would really like to hear from
Old 05-27-2005, 07:27 AM

Since your truck is the 2003 you do not have a cat on it, so yes the aftermarket 4" exhaust will be a lot louder than stock. Your exhaust is 4" from the muffler back, the only thing that is 3-1/2" on your exhaust is the downpipe. If you are just looking for performance increase, I would just replace the muffler with a donaldson or something like that, they are free flowing and are not as loud as some of the smaller performance mufflers.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:52 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have MBRP systems on my 2500 and 3500 and I can tell you they are not much louder in the cab from stock......it does have a audible diesel rumble but the sound level is by no means intrusive. From the outside, it does have a deep big rig bark, though!!!
Old 05-27-2005, 09:08 AM

mine is not much louder also, but when you get aggressive with the go pedal then it really sings to you.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:57 AM

Where in Canada are you? I have the MBRP duals and they are a fair bit louder than stock. Not bad, but it may be more annoying when towing a trailer. The MBRP single a friend of mine has is definitley quieter than the duals.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the replys, I am a newby, this is my first truck & 5th wheel so can I ask what is a "cat" and "downpipe" and where are they located? One dealer in Calgary Canada told me MBRP have an 4 inch exhaust for the 2003 QC LB but nobody will show me on the truck where it starts & finishes & what performance gains, if any, I will see. I am particularlly interested in fuel gains.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:12 AM

downpipe = first part of the exhaust system after the turbo.

cat = catalytic converter connect close to the downpipe.

Performance gains small horsepower and torque gains and freer flowing exhaust = lower exhaust gas temps
Old 05-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Banned

hunterrj,

Take a look at our site, there are pics there that should help you with the "terminology" cat, down pipe etc. We also have sound bites that will get you a good idea what the truck will sound like. If you need a system we can have it sent from the factory to you to avoid import fees and tariffs etc as well. Call us if you have any questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 05-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: New MBRP exhaust

Originally posted by hunterrj
I have the 2003 Quad Cab Long box 2wd with a AIRAID air cleaner. In Canada the local manufacturer is MBRP. Will a 4 inch really increase HP torque and increase mileage? I have read MBRP "tune" their muffler for each application to reduce noise inside the cab, is this true? We travel with our 5th wheel twice a year and put on 20,000KM on each trip noise will be a big issue my wife would shoot me if the cab is unliveable with the new exhaust so anyone who has a MBRP I would really like to hear from
If you don't like noise, I don't recommend the MBRP exhaust. It is a lot louder than stock...especially while towing. Also, as far as I know, they use the same muffler for all applications.

That said, it's a good system. If you're going to buy MBRP I recommend buying it from DPPI. They've been good to me.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by hunterrj
I am particularlly interested in fuel gains.
IF you see any fuel gains, it won't be nearly enough to justify the cost of the system. You will find this to be the case with almost all performance mods.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:16 PM

hunterrj, since I live in Calgary too, shoot me a PM and I will give you all the information you need.

Jeff
Old 05-29-2005, 09:31 AM

power gains, i don't think so, mileage gains, there again i don't think so.
i just installed my 05 exhaust on my 03 truck. the factory exhaust was 3.5" from the turbo elbow, to the muffler, then out of the muffler , about an inch out , it then goes to a 4" pipe.
i have read that alot of people think that the exhaust is 4" from factory, but the measureometer don't lie!!!!
i installed my exhaust the same time as my Bully Dog down loader, so i can safely say that it is a bit louder at an idle, alot louder then stock on the highway, it does lower EGT's, looks good, will last longer then the stock crap.not too loud, is a good sound, anybody thats been in my truck hasn't said anything about the noise yet.
i haven't seen any gians in the mileage department, and as for power gains, i would say that if there was, you won't feel it anyway.if your buying it just to save you money in fuel, then save your money until your ready for it. get gauges, a trans pan, air intake, etc,
if your towing alot, i think it would be a good idea to have to lower the temps, but not a must have .

on a side not, if you decide to run the 05 MBRP exhaust, then you will need a factory 05 turbo elbow, with clamp for the down pipe, a factory down pipe, and a good 3-4 foot piece of stainless pipe, to connect it all together.the 05 exhaust is a cat back with you won't have, this is why you will need the length of pipe .
Old 06-01-2005, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hunterrj, Hoss is correct If what you say about your wife is true, you may be in some hot water, because I have the 4" mbrp on my 04 , and when stepping on it hard, or especially with a heavy load, it is a LOT louder than stock. Once up to cruising speed etc it's not much louder than stock at all. Going up long grades with a load it can be definitely annoying...crank up the tunes..

You will not see any noticeable horsepower or mileage gains ... these bigger exhausts on diesels for the most part serve the purpose of EGT reduction.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Muted User

Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
I can't hardly tell the difference between my MBRP exhaust sound and the stock exhaust sound. It's a good set up IMHO!!!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dorkweed, are you deaf? It's INFINITELY louder on my truck.. If I floor it and you're on the sidewalk its nearly deafening lol, hardly any different than straight pipe, just no brappapapaappp. Maybe it's the fact that 04.5+ have 4" exhaust already from the factory, and a CAT. Is the 600 series mbrp just a muffler and tailpipe?

Quick Reply: New MBRP exhaust