3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New law in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 04:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I had my single stack installed on my 06 Mega, the performance shop guys wanted to get rid of the cat and straight pipe it. I said no way. Keep the cat, and fit in some kind of muffler, because I have kids to drive around, and neighbors. I didn't want to deal with any kind of drone, and I just knew laws like this were around the corner.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got mine inspected.... I have the mbrp muffler but no cat, they didnt even look, they just pulled it in the garage and made sure the lights worked. Put on the sticker for the money and I left..... I like it like that.....
Old 05-09-2009, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it's like anything else, you're going to have them that take it out of control. Some people just aint got no common sense.

I would love to have stacks to but i also have children. And a side note as i have a straight piped truck..

You CAN creep through a neighborhood "considerately". I live on base and if there was any fussin', i'd hear about it, that's for sure. You just gotta KNOW when to play..
Old 05-09-2009, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by moorepower
This is happening because guys and gals with straight pipes, like to listen to them so much in residential areas. There is a guy a few blocks from me that likes to slowly wind his truck to about 3000 rpm"just a guess" starting in first gear every time and drives down our street in 3rd gear, 2-3 times per evening from 8-11 pm and on the weekends more. I have to say, with me getting up for work at 3am this gets real old. Every person in the area would like to choke the guy. It really gives us diesel guys a bad rap, just as smoking out every intersection where we start from does. There is no way Texas, would pass a law like that, unless lots of people are not happy about it, just like the fart can Honda's. Something to think about as you are driving through a residential neighborhood with your straight piped truck.

EXACTLY if more folks thought like this silly laws like this probably would never be seen...
Old 05-09-2009, 12:44 PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Alright. Enough. Texas or even Cali wasn't the first to do the muffler thing. Federal regulations do not allow the "exhaust system" to be tampered with. If it came from the factory with a muffler, it has to have one.

There is no difference between the guy rollin through the subdivision at 3000 rpm with his cummins versus a rice grinder at 14000 rpm. We went through all this in the late eighties with loud stereos. Everyone started enforcing noise ordinances. Same as today with outlawing the usage of exhaust breaks in cities. That includes PXRB equipped pickups. It's all about the noise. Kids cry when young and when they get older, they boom and cut the mufflers out. It's all in the name of noise.

I like the way my truck sounds. I like it loud. But I also stay out of it around homes and after hours. Disturbing the peace is a blanket complaint that will always get you a ticket.

If you want to drive a quiet truck, fine. But really, most of us have had some sort of hot rod. When was the last time you thought a blown 454 sounded better all stopped up.

Caution: Age Check ahead.
If you know what a Cherry Bomb (not the firecracker) is, then you can't whine about noise.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:45 PM

I had a 70 340 Cuda from age 16 to 22, and ran bracket racers and stock eliminator for years. Every vehicle I have owned up until this truck has had aftermarket exhaust, so ya I enjoy noise on occasion, but the straight piped guys that run around town as loudly as they can are no better than the ricer crowd or the kids and there million watt subs rattleing houses as they go buy, none. These are the guys that are causing the problem.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:44 PM

Being that this is a law im probably just going to hollow my cat out and throw a hushpower or banks muffler on
Old 05-10-2009, 05:47 AM

**** tree huggers
Old 05-10-2009, 02:48 PM

They dont check anything on mine. not even my insurance. of course in my neigbornood 90% dont have insurance or a drivers license.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:39 PM

Cline

PM me the name/address of the shop you get inspected at. I'm in Watauga just north of FW and may need an understanding inspection shop if TX is going this way

Thanks,
Ken
Old 05-11-2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainKelley
If you know what a Cherry Bomb (not the firecracker) is, then you can't whine about noise.
Well put.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainKelley
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I feel old now
Old 05-11-2009, 12:55 PM

Nothing better than a Chevy 6 with a split manifold and dual Cherry bombs.(unless it's a flathead Ford). Lake pipes sound pretty good too.
Now who's old!!!!!!!!
Jay
Old 05-12-2009, 06:31 AM

....And they want to complain about our "straight pipe"
Old 05-12-2009, 07:29 PM

Not to side line the thread but anyone else shove the garden hose in there to break up the "glass"?

WOW Lake pipes. Those were going out as I was starting to learn about cars.
But if you had 'em, you were truly committed to the old school. My crowd ran cutouts. And once in a while you had to impress the ladies after tuning and take a spin 'round the block.

Quick Reply: New law in Texas?