3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Gauges! the fuel pressure has me stumped

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Gauges! the fuel pressure has me stumped

I got new gauges for christmas but I don't know where or how I need to go about putting in the fuel pressure sender. It is made by glowshift is a 100 psi gauge the sender has a 1/8 NPT on one end and leads for the wires on the other end I just need to know where I can place this bad boy and if I am going to need some kind of tap for the lines, the instructions said something about the rail but is the gauge up for rail pressure? I wouldn't think so but I may be wrong ne help is good help. I know where and how to hook up the boost and EGT just kind of at a loss for where to install the fuel pressure gauge.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:07 PM
KKB

Typically need a banjo bolt that goes on the fuel filter canister. I know diesel manor sells them. If it is 100 psi it is for lift pump pressure, not CP3 injection pump pressure. If it was me I would trade it for a 40 psi guage unless you are going for a ton of power.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:14 PM

Bowser i have the exact same guages and have been having a tough time getting mine to work also. it is just pegged out at 30psi (because that's as high as mine goes). i called glowshift and they said that there is a spring inside the sending unit and it may have to be mounted on the firewall and run a braided line from the lift pump area to the guage. I just think my sending unit may be bad but i'm not certain on how to check them. hopefully someone may be able to help both of us out.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:45 PM

pegged out as in stuck at 30psi? I will look into this one more.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:10 PM

I just wanted to know where to install it and get it to hook up to the fuel system with a 1/8 NPT I don't know where to tap into the fuel system at.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:46 PM

yeah my guage is max at 30psi. whenever the power turns on it jumps to 30 and does not move. i hooked up all the wires like it said and put my sending unit in the right place (i think) and it is still at 30. when i turn the truck off it goes back to zero like it should. there is a picture on the forum of the banjo bolt that the sending unit screws into. if you look at your pump, there are two banjo bolts that are facing up. there is one towards the front of the truck and one in the middle. i was told to screw the sending unit into the middle banjo bolt. but i'm not positive about this either since mine isn't working. i know its not much help but maybe you'll have better luck
Old 12-24-2009, 10:54 PM

I've been searching and reading and alot of people apparently have used a hose to go from there to the sending units, apparently the glowshift sending units do not like vibration that could be a problem maybe your ground isn't good enough?
Old 12-24-2009, 10:55 PM

they usually mount them somewhere out of the way and in a not so vibration prone area like on the firewall or fenderwell apparently. hopefully that helps.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:39 PM

thanks, that probably is my problem. now i just have to find some pics of someone who mounted the sending unit elsewhere and see how they did that. the ground is good, goes directly to the (-) battery terminal. hopefully you will have better luck
Old 12-25-2009, 10:10 AM

Yeah I think I won't run in to too many problems, did you say you hooked your's up to the fuel pump? and if so maybe you could get a pic of it so I kind of know where to tap into. did you have to use a banjo bolt to or did you just thread it right in Im kinda lost as to how to go about this.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bowser50
Yeah I think I won't run in to too many problems, did you say you hooked your's up to the fuel pump? and if so maybe you could get a pic of it so I kind of know where to tap into. did you have to use a banjo bolt to or did you just thread it right in Im kinda lost as to how to go about this.
do you have a aftermwrket fuel system??If so there is going to be a plug on the main pump. I f you are still running a stock system then you will barely see the pressure gauge move. stock is usually under 10 psi .My glacier system hooks to the back of the fuel silter canister and there is a plug on the top of it. that is where I have mine hooked up.40 psi at idle and 35 at wot
Old 12-25-2009, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by jcmoyer2004
yeah my guage is max at 30psi. whenever the power turns on it jumps to 30 and does not move. i hooked up all the wires like it said and put my sending unit in the right place (i think) and it is still at 30. when i turn the truck off it goes back to zero like it should. there is a picture on the forum of the banjo bolt that the sending unit screws into. if you look at your pump, there are two banjo bolts that are facing up. there is one towards the front of the truck and one in the middle. i was told to screw the sending unit into the middle banjo bolt. but i'm not positive about this either since mine isn't working. i know its not much help but maybe you'll have better luck
I had the same problem as you I called them about it and they sent me a new sending unit and it has worked fine ever since. Call them if it still under the 1 year warranty.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:32 AM

Take a trip to Diesel Manors website, they have excellent gauge install pics in their gauge install instructions, this will get you on the right track.

I installed a 'T' in the fuel line just before the CP3. It was easy to install the 'T' because I have an additional 2-mic filter setup. You can get a banjo bolt that comes off you stock filter canister that will give you a place to takeoff for the gauge, or a banjo that goes before/at the CP3.

CD
Old 12-25-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by CD in NM
Take a trip to Diesel Manors website, they have excellent gauge install pics in their gauge install instructions, this will get you on the right track.

I installed a 'T' in the fuel line just before the CP3. It was easy to install the 'T' because I have an additional 2-mic filter setup. You can get a banjo bolt that comes off you stock filter canister that will give you a place to takeoff for the gauge, or a banjo that goes before/at the CP3.

CD
If you go this route remember the fuel sending unit from glowshift has to be grounded so you have to run a wire from the unit to a ground
Old 12-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use a tapped banjo bolt on the CP-3 inlet. Either mount the sending unit directly to it or add a 18-24" grease gun hose for isolation and zip tie it to ther battery case or other handy mounting place.

Quick Reply: New Gauges! the fuel pressure has me stumped