3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need some help!! Got prolems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help!! Got prolems?

Was towing my 5th wheel with another trailer full of atvs behind it, pulling a pretty good grade with cruise on about 65mph. All of a sudden power loss on the top end and can not get EGT's higher than 1250*. Were before pulling that same hill before if I didnt back out of it I could burry my pyrometer. Also if I put auto in 2nd and run up to max boost it almost sounds like its surging for air. It almost feels like Im not getting enough fuel on the top end. Tried a few different things changed fuel filter, cleaned air filter, took boost fooler off put back on. pulled the trailer still the same thing. Going to try taking off the Smarty see if it still does it stock. Any ideas would be apperciated.

Thanks,Bill
Old 07-09-2007, 09:13 PM

you can tow a trailer with another trailer behind it?wow i dont know that was legal,how do u back that up with 2 pivot points?any codes come up?woder if thats limp mode for safty reasons,what was coolant temp up the hill?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:21 PM

how much boost are you able to hit? Does it struggle to get boost built?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by wimpy76
Was towing my 5th wheel with another trailer full of atvs behind it, pulling a pretty good grade with cruise on about 65mph. All of a sudden power loss on the top end and can not get EGT's higher than 1250*. Were before pulling that same hill before if I didnt back out of it I could burry my pyrometer. Also if I put auto in 2nd and run up to max boost it almost sounds like its surging for air. It almost feels like Im not getting enough fuel on the top end. Tried a few different things changed fuel filter, cleaned air filter, took boost fooler off put back on. pulled the trailer still the same thing. Going to try taking off the Smarty see if it still does it stock. Any ideas would be apperciated.

Thanks,Bill

Funny. I just experienced what I thought was a very similar thing. I was pulling my trailer South, up the Grapevine in CA. Very long & steep grade, water stops, signs about turning off AC, runaway truck ramps, 40 mph downhill speed for trucks, etc. Anyhow, Near the top of the hill, I felt like I was loosing power a tad. I kept the EGT's right at 1250 too. Then I stopped for a bit to for the wife to do some stuff with the baby. When I started again, I think it felt normal. Today I drove the truck w/and w/o the trailer. It all felt normal and sounded normal. All gauges were happy. I wonder if some of it was in my mind, I must say. I had been driving so long with kids screaming, I was in a trance.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:31 PM

in utah two trailers is ok as long as your under 65ft. NO codes. trouble building in OD wtih load. no load and it seems like flat lines.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:33 PM

jmccart.

i am from down your way drove grapevine many times. Where you at?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:40 PM

jmccart.

i am from down your way drove grapevine many times. Where you at?

Castaic (Northern part of Los Angeles County, in the desert), are you closer or in Utah as your box says?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:51 PM

Utah by way of cali. Diamond Bar east of LA. Anybody else with ideas.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:55 PM

Thanks,Bill

Does it feel any different w/o the trailer on? Still have the same old power or dies it feel slower?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:58 PM

runs good on the bottom end the top end feels flat though.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:16 PM

Sounds like you're running out of fuel. Maybe your lift pump is dying. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:22 PM

No gauge but that is something I havent thought of yet. How is Quads new rail gauge?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:25 PM

It looks good, nice and compact. If it works as wel as my Commander it will be a hit.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:41 PM

does the engine still sound the same when its in park as before this problem? or does it sound slugish?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:57 PM

Engine still sounds the same. When this happened I was pulling a grade and just lost power not all power(just top end) and no codes.

Quick Reply: Need some help!! Got prolems?