3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

need help with program and heat problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help with program and heat problems

alright guys so here is the deal i did some work for a buddy of mine, i just installed what he bought for his 04 dodge 2500, I did everything thinking it would all work never thought into it because he said he talked to someone, here is what i did, FASS fuel system, tst power max box, intake, exhuast, and snow II water meth, and tranny stuff, and a bigger turbo from turbonetics ( pretty big single ). now the truck runs pretty quick, but not like it did when i had a banks chip and propane, it seems to fuel and fuel and get to hot and shut off. so whats the deal here? seems like to much fuel.

the owner of the truck calls someone that says thats all he does is tunnes diesels, and he says its the wrong set up and we are fueling for twins and cant ever really change that, he says that we should change to a BD chip and put a 4 stage propane system on and it should be around 450-500 hp.

any thoughts?

the truck is a 2004, dodge 2500, quad cab, long bed, lifted 6 inches on 37's, automatic that is built.

i just dont want me friend to be taken again like he was the first time with the guy who sold him everything. thanks guys.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:31 AM

anyone????
Old 12-02-2006, 02:41 AM
Chapter President

I believe you can make this work. There are alot of big hp guys running single turbos. I would start with a smaller exhaust housing. To burn up some of the excess fuel early in the rpm range. Sounds like to me the turbo is too big to build boost and burn the fuel you have.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:46 AM

I wonder how big that turbo is,,, sounds like you have serious turbo lag. Also what settings on the tst? have to watch that you dont go too high on the snow stuff too

Kevin
Old 12-03-2006, 04:13 AM

its not that big of a turbo, spools pretty good, its cut off at about 35psi right now at the waste gate. and for the snow system i have a big jet i believe is a 0.625, and a small one set at 0.325 or something close to that, and i run about 40 meth/60 water. my problem is the temps skyrocket and then the chip shuts down, cause i have it set to shut off at 1400. the same guy told me the FASS system wasent needed, and twins where my only way to fix all this heat stuff. the truck moves pretty good, but it just gets hot fast. we are looking for a good not hot easy going 475-500hp. this other guy we are talkin to says that it can be done, if we change to a BD chip, and 4 stage propane system.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Banned

wow loads of issues here.

First off, the updated TST R49 has different programs....early twins, late twins, standard and maybe economy...but don't quote me on the economy part. Is it an R49? is it upgraded sufficiently? what program are you running?

04? 04.5?

Big turbo stops at 35psi? 04.5+ needs a boost fooler on the turbo to make the ECM happy. Or is it waste gated at 35? you need more air!

What settings are the TST on?

Thats a load of BS and a salesman trying to get you to go a BD chip with 4 stage propane set up....these trucks don't need those drugs for the power you are talking. Water/meth isn't a bad idea, its good for EGT's...but should not be used excessively.

475-500hp is easily accomplishable...some trucks can do that without a bigger turbo!
Old 12-03-2006, 12:47 PM

alright i went and looked under his hood, date of man. is 1/04 so its a 2004, the chips is a powermax-cr-f9 that says boost limit and cool down 5379, and i recall when i took the old turbo off i put on a loop for part of the wiring of the old turbo, i think thats the boost fooler right? and as for all the numbers i could find on the turbo i saw 105848 TCC and i believe a 055 DC. i know the waste gate is set at 35. and the same guy who sold us this said we can adjust it buy turning the lever on the gate( something like every one turn is one pound of boost ) and the water meth isnt used that much again we have one small jet and one large. the only thing i can think of is crank the boost up and see if it burn the fuel any better. im just not set on by the fact of changing a chip and adding that much propane it will fix everything. i mean 500 hp can be done with a stock turbo but your going to not have that turbo very long, we cranked 50 psi out of the stock one before, with the banks 6gun and propane.

any thought? if u can give me other ppls set ups. i mean its just not makin sence, got the tranny turbo single good size chip, intake, exhuast, FASS, and water meth and its not workin that great.......

thanks guys.

( this is why i own a 12v hahaha JKJK )
Old 12-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4doogie
alright i went and looked under his hood, date of man. is 1/04 so its a 2004, the chips is a powermax-cr-f9 that says boost limit and cool down 5379, and i recall when i took the old turbo off i put on a loop for part of the wiring of the old turbo, i think thats the boost fooler right? and as for all the numbers i could find on the turbo i saw 105848 TCC and i believe a 055 DC. i know the waste gate is set at 35. and the same guy who sold us this said we can adjust it buy turning the lever on the gate( something like every one turn is one pound of boost ) and the water meth isnt used that much again we have one small jet and one large. the only thing i can think of is crank the boost up and see if it burn the fuel any better. im just not set on by the fact of changing a chip and adding that much propane it will fix everything. i mean 500 hp can be done with a stock turbo but your going to not have that turbo very long, we cranked 50 psi out of the stock one before, with the banks 6gun and propane.

any thought? if u can give me other ppls set ups. i mean its just not makin sence, got the tranny turbo single good size chip, intake, exhuast, FASS, and water meth and its not workin that great.......

thanks guys.

( this is why i own a 12v hahaha JKJK )
Crank the boost up. Its an 04.5 since it was built after 1/1 04. Not sure from your description about the boost fooler or not

Theres a guy there in cali that dynoed over 500hp and 1000 ft pounds with a TST/EZ stack, Airdog fuel system, and a 62/12 turbo...but he was atleast in the mid to upper 40psi range! he now has twins though....

Crank the boost up...waste gate it at 50 or so....then report back.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:31 PM

the plug is for the elc. waste gate or it will kick codes. The TST has a high limit for boost at 40 psi and defuel when it hits that so you will have to turn off the high setting but first before you do that get a gauge on the truck (Boost) Reason why I say a gauge is because the TST will only read up to 40 PSI. like said before turn up the boost get it to hit at least 40 psi and see if the temps cool off leave the water/meth off at first set the EGT temp at 1450 (in the TST) 04.5 can run that hot for short time 10 15 sec. Then start sneaking up on the boost but you will have to turn off the Boost defuel when you want to go above 40 psi. your trying to tune to much at one time. what do you have the TST set for? just keep in mind more air cools EGTs off but dont go over 50 psi with high EGTs or you will put head gaskets in the truck. Hope you understand what I am trying to say. I was to cool for school and english was not my best sub.