3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My Smarty Jr. Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Smarty Jr. Experience

Ok guys, I've had my Smarty Jr. on my truck for about 2 months now. I started with the Economy setting and noticed right away the truck was smoother. Also, I hand calculated the MPG and went from 17.9 mpg to 19.3 MPG on a mixed driving tank. I then switched to the Towing setting and ran 3 or 4 tanks of fuel. It really pulls hard on 70hp from 1400 RPM up, and makes a ton of smoke. After some friendly stoplight races against a PowerSmoke or two, I started to feel the clutch slip ever so slightly when the clutch is hot......So, I went back to Economy and will start saving some jack for a new clutch. Any suggestions on a better than stock clutch for my truck?
Old 02-27-2008, 06:47 PM

if you're not going too crazy with your mods, sb con ofe is a good way to go.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:52 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MikesB12
Ok guys, I've had my Smarty Jr. on my truck for about 2 months now. I started with the Economy setting and noticed right away the truck was smoother. Also, I hand calculated the MPG and went from 17.9 mpg to 19.3 MPG on a mixed driving tank. I then switched to the Towing setting and ran 3 or 4 tanks of fuel. It really pulls hard on 70hp from 1400 RPM up, and makes a ton of smoke. After some friendly stoplight races against a PowerSmoke or two, I started to feel the clutch slip ever so slightly when the clutch is hot......So, I went back to Economy and will start saving some jack for a new clutch. Any suggestions on a better than stock clutch for my truck?
Good question. I hear varying reports of superior holding power,but nobody has a replacement clutch as quiet and driveable as our stock ones. I only need another 100 hp holding power in a quiet single mass flywheel. The SBC guys chime in with various noise impressions of their OFE's on up. I've heard a SBC DD clutch up close and life is too short for that racket.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:35 PM

That's one thing that's always bothered me too. Been told before I wouldn't know an OFE from stock if I didn't know what it was. I dunno you always hear different stories about that. I'm still upgrading though cause I want a clutch I can play with and not have to think about it...
Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by DiEseLjunKy
That's one thing that's always bothered me too. Been told before I wouldn't know an OFE from stock if I didn't know what it was. I dunno you always hear different stories about that. I'm still upgrading though cause I want a clutch I can play with and not have to think about it...
That's where I'm at now. Since the stock clutch has slipped a couple of times, it makes me leary of it. I want the stronger clutch, just not the price tag.....
Old 02-28-2008, 03:37 AM

I have the OFE and it is a bit harder to depress the pedal but it takes a good bit more to hold it in while I'm sitting in traffic. Mine held 450hp just fine but my legs get tired after a while. I have never noticed any noise unless I'm just idling forward without depressing the accelerator pedal. Then there is a little noise but not much...
Old 02-28-2008, 08:18 AM

more on the SMARTY JR

I was wondering if anyone could possibly tell me what or where to find out more about the Smarty / Smarty JR. I have been leaning more toward the JR because I am just getting started in the Diesel Power Performance area and it sounds more user friendly. If anyone has any recomendations for information, product capability, or just good old fashioned hands on please, feedback would be obliged. thanks.

Clint
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO
Old 02-28-2008, 08:30 AM

Do a search on here. You will find enough reading here for the rest of the week. I went with the Jr. and I loved it so much that I sold it after my tranny crapped out. I had 122k miles and it was time anyway. Now I have the Smarty on order. If you have an addictive personality like myself, just get the Sr. You can always run the lower settings until you have the supporting mods to really let her rip.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered the SBC con ofe. I expect it'll hold 500 easy, and I'm constantly changing gears so pedal pressure/ shift ease are priority. There's alot of info on the SBC clutches and their second to none reputation (no whiners), you should find what you need...
Old 02-28-2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bowser50
I was wondering if anyone could possibly tell me what or where to find out more about the Smarty / Smarty JR. I have been leaning more toward the JR because I am just getting started in the Diesel Power Performance area and it sounds more user friendly. If anyone has any recomendations for information, product capability, or just good old fashioned hands on please, feedback would be obliged. thanks.

Clint
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO
Check FAQ's and Products. http://www.madselectronics.com/ A search will give you a ton of info but there's also a lot of useless smarty threads to wade through.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:37 AM

BOWSER50- Get smarty senior theres more room to grow with it. I have the JR and love it but want to order smarty SR now cause the power is addicting and I want more of it. LOL
Old 02-28-2008, 10:55 AM

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. Just remember with Sr you'll need supporting mods - at a minimum gauges and fuel system upgrades.