3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mud Flap Tickets!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mud Flap Tickets!!!!!

I've been pulled over twice now for my mud flaps not being big enough. Wouldn't you think they had something better to do? I have only recieved warnings so far but I guess I need to do something about it. Does anyone have any good ideas that look good on a dually with 35x12.50's? Also I am fixing to get some 22.5's with ST 908's. Do they stick out as far? Any input would be helpful. Please post pics if you have any of big mud flaps. Thanks
Old 11-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Muted User

http://www.duraflap.com/
Old 11-12-2008, 01:12 PM

Sounds like probable cause for a stop. Probably just confirming your truck is not stolen. You would be surprised at the number of vehicles that are stolen and the owner doesn't even know their vehicle has been taken. Traffic stops often produce quality arrests. But if your smooth they usually let you go with a verbal warning.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:49 PM

The best thing I've found is to get a big-rig mudflap from bout any truck stop. You can cut it down to how ever you want and make it any size/shape you need. I did that on my old dually. Cheap way to get the law off your tail and you can make it look as good as you want
Old 11-12-2008, 01:59 PM

I only have mine on my truck when I'm hauling (25-30% of time) and Never been pulled over for it. Is this a law in Tx? I know it is on class8 trucks ( can't be more than 4" from ground) Just curious. I also agree on the rig shops. They usually got a good selection for decent prices, just cut to fit.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:04 PM

As far as I know they are only required on Duallys here in Texas. I donth think there's a size requirement as long as they cover the tires with wise. Is there a hight restriction too robertc82?
Old 11-12-2008, 02:14 PM

547.606. SAFETY GUARDS OR FLAPS REQUIRED. (a) A road
tractor, truck, trailer, truck-tractor in combination with a
semitrailer, or semitrailer in combination with a towing vehicle
that has at least four tires on the rearmost axle of the vehicle or
the rearmost vehicle in the combination shall be equipped with
safety guards or flaps that:
(1) are of a type prescribed by the department; and
(2) are located and suspended behind the rearmost
wheels of the vehicle or the rearmost vehicle in the combination
within eight inches of the surface of the highway.

Thats what the Transportation Code says. Light truck is defined in that chapter as anything that can carry less than 2k. A dually falls into what DPS defines as truck.

No opinion either way, just showing you the actual language.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:53 PM

It is 8". I stand corrected. Thanks oldmikegraham.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:10 PM

that's what the officer told me. It had to be 8" from the ground and cover the full width of the tire. The guy was polite and it was no big deal. I was only about 2 miles from my house. I think he's the same dps officer that pulled me over before. I know this was just an excuse to pull me over. I have an ice chest that sticks out of my truck too. Maybe he was checking for DUI? Who knows he was just doing his job. I just can't picture the big flaps looking good but I gotta obey the law.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:13 PM

That's funny state inspection law requires no more than 12" from the highway surface.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by 87BRGN
It is 8". I stand corrected. Thanks oldmikegraham.
No problem. After growing up around mud flaps on duallies it looks odd when I see one without them.

The law may be overkill on pickups. What we need is more common sense definitions...Big rigs need flaps, pickups don't!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:56 PM

Think about the other people on the road, and please use flaps. It cuts down on rain spray, and rocks thrown. I wish it was enforced more in the Seattle area, rains 1/3 of the year.

A local dealer will not sell a truck without flaps due to state law and a new customer getting a ticket on the way home. They payed the ticket.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are two options.

http://powerstore.cummins.com/defaul...ct_name=CI3724

http://powerstore.cummins.com/defaul...ct_name=CI3723
Old 11-12-2008, 05:08 PM

I have mud flaps on my truck. They are just the originals that came in the truck. With 25" of tire plus the 2" spacer in the middle they are not wide enough. They are supposed to be 8" from the ground and mine are 14" with the lift and tires. I have had one dually that I bought used and it didn't have mud flaps. I was pulled over for it too right after I got it. I went and put some on that day. Honestly it looked funny without them. What I don't understand is a law having to have them but you can run 44's on a Srw without them.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:16 PM

since im a pa state inspector i would go to a local garage that you know well that inspects cars and trucks. ask them to see there inspection book that they use if there are any questions concerning whats legal. read what it says about mud flaps and inspection.

r u using this as a commercial vehicle? if so maybe thats the problem

Quick Reply: Mud Flap Tickets!!!!!