3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mods and engine life

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mods and engine life

Lets here some opinions on mild,medium and heavy mods effect on total mileage you can get from a ctd. I am guessing the more mod the less life but am curious as to how much.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think thats a tough one to answer. More mods without supporting mods are bad, abusive driving with mild mods is worse than sane driving with heavy mods....so who knows...its all about the combination of driver, use of the vehicle, maintenance, mods and so on.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:10 PM

I bet you will wear out the truck long before the engine.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
I bet you will wear out the truck long before the engine.
Probably right!
Old 12-03-2006, 06:19 PM

I would stick my neck out to say that mild to medium/moderate mods plus sane driving equals no change in engine life. All engines are more capable than out the factory door. In fact, when engine tuning is to perfection and kept that way, maintenance is to perfection and kept that way, and the driver (who is the person going to all the trouble to do these things) operates/drives within the margins to keep perfection working correctly, those are the vehicles you see exceeding the averages. If you were to consider driving within certain ranges of rpm and sticking to them, you would add a considerable amount of lifespan over other average drivers. Add to that a really good maintenance program, again, you would add to the lifespan.

So, I agree with Hairtrigger and Smokeman, I bet you would wear out the rest of the truck long before the engine. I'm guessing that you could mod the engine to death but if you sanely drove the beast the rest of the truck would die first. You have to also mod all the components down line to keep up with what stresses your mods are making or you will tear the truck up very prematurely.

Big-time mods that take the engine to the limit and cross the line in most all cases usually also involve driving to the limit and crossing the line of the structural and suspension capabilities. Going beyond the design that far would probably decrease the lifespan equal to that of those on the other side of the scale who have increased it.

Look at all those who have become their own warranty station and ask how many crossed the line, by how much, and by doing what?

CD