3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

which mini packs - Carli or Lorenz??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which mini packs - Carli or Lorenz??

I have 3" Carli coil springs up front and want to add a 5 leaf mini pack.
Carli would be the natural pick BUT... have heard and read that Lorenz may give a softer ride (and that's what I'm after).
Lorenz pack is rated to lift 1/2". Carli says theirs will lift 1"
I'm thinking with 3" coils up front I need a full inch to look leveled?

Anybody running Lorenz 2.0 kit or 2.5 kit with the mini packs? I know those kits have the 3" coils up front. Does the truck sit lower in the back?

I also like Lorenz's stuff and would like to support him where ever possible but of course want to do what's best for the ride.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:58 AM
Banned

go full leaf pack the extra dough is worth it
Old 02-14-2008, 01:02 AM

I was afraid someone was going to say that. Too spendy for me, I think a little improvement and I will be happy. Plus I have too many other toys I want to buy.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:14 AM

Mini Packs all sound like they are pretty rough. But you should really call Don Thuren at Thuren Fab. Hes on here look him up. All the Desert style racing guys on here have gotten some or all of there stuff from him. And he has experience with all the different kits the others offer.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by tristan21
Mini Packs all sound like they are pretty rough. But you should really call Don Thuren at Thuren Fab. Hes on here look him up. All the Desert style racing guys on here have gotten some or all of there stuff from him. And he has experience with all the different kits the others offer.
They all do better than stock when you encounter the big bumps on the ride. As for your normal road ride, you won't feel that much difference until you hit large bumps. Then you'll notice a little difference in the way the back end acts.

As for which one, I've been really happy with my Carli mini-packs however I have never had experience with the Lorenz ones. My guess is that they are all pretty similiar. I will add that Don uses Carli's springs in a lot of his kits. Call him and see what's best. He's a super cool guy.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:16 AM

I have the Lorenz 5100 system with Mini-packs. As far as Daily Driving, the front end works better, but can't say the rear springs with mini-packs is an improvement. Maybe out in the desert it might be, but in Iowa, we don't have deserts. I'm thinking of taking the mini-packs back out and put the stock overload back in. I was hoping sombody local around here had the DP springs so I could "test drive" and see if its worth spending money on. I don't want to spend $1K plus for two leaf springs that don't make more than a marginal improvement.

I have a road trip planned to Mesa, AZ in mid-march, so I might look up some shops while I'm there.

Good luck on your decision. However, my opinion is, don't want your time/money on mini-packs. Unless you have more time/money to spare.

Bob

Last edited by JeepManIowa; 02-14-2008 at 08:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-14-2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pull U 2
No matter what you put back there it'll only be as good as your shocks.

Call or email Don, he'll point you in the right direction and tell you what you can expect from both with your setup.
Good point. I didn't even think to mention that. There is supposedly a lot of difference in ride between mini-packs/Bilsteins and mini-packs/King 2.5's. My King's from Don should be here next week and I'll know for sure.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Banned

i changed my skyjacker add-a-leafs out for a set of carli mini-packs (through don), and without changing anything else, it made a HUGE difference. for now, i've still got the crappy skyjacker shocks out back.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:14 PM

I've got the Carli's in my truck. They ride much softer than stock, and softer than the KORE 4-leaf pack...

Got 'em from Don, too
Old 02-14-2008, 08:12 PM

all these guys get their leafs from the same guy.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Banned

Lorenz are not Deaver like Carli and KORE. I believe they are National.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:49 PM

Deaver does not make Carlis minipacks anymore.

Word of mouth is that Seans minipacks are 99.999999999999999999% similar to Carlis minipacks..

This is just word of mouth, but I have contacts..
Old 02-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by THURENfab.

This is just word of mouth, but I have contacts..
whatever dude!!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:53 AM

Ok Don im serious this time. In a few months im gonna stop this rediculous quest for more power and start on the suspension. I wanna run 3" kings, your bumps, and the airbag setup though so you tell me where to start.

Does alot need to be changed to run the 3 inchers? I havent found many good pics of that setup.

I suppose I'll have to wait till I get done with this job and then i'll give you a call.

Quick Reply: which mini packs - Carli or Lorenz??