3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

MBRP vs. Straight pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBRP vs. Straight pipe

I recently straight piped my new rig and I love the sound of it but my girl friend hates all the noise (music as we all call it), and well I think I may have problems with the law too cuz she's really loud. So how would a MBRP turbo back system compare loudness wise. I want to keep the throaty big rig sound just a little bit quiter and with less droan.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never heard a straight piped 3rd Gen, but I have a hard time believing that a straight pipe sounds much different than an MBRP exhaust does. The MBRP muffler is basically a straight pipe. It just has some little twisty dimply things in it.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:19 AM

I have had 2 3rd gen trucks. THe first had a full MBRP turbo back system. I liked it a lot...relatively quiet considering the muffler is indeed just a 6" dia pipe with a wire mesh spiralled (1 layer) on the inside.

My truck I have now has Rip Rook's 'shorty exhaust' (exits in front of the rear wheel) and I bought it without a muffler. Rip said it would be OBNOXIOUS...I had an MBRP muffler laying here so when I had it welded up I wussed out and had it installed.

Noise wise...cruising down the highway it has a good rone...BUT 70+ MPH and the A/C or radio is enough to cancel it out. When I get on it hard it sounds like a semi and it sends a vibe throuhout the truck...you can literally feel it. But agin that's only under hard accelration.

My wife also doesn't like loud exhaust...and she has never complained out this.

Rip sells the diamond eye mufflers which are essentially the same as the MBRP...BUT the mesh inside is not spiralled..it is straight. Difference?????
Old 06-22-2005, 10:20 AM
Banned

CATSNOX900,

It will be considerably quieter, the MBRP muffler has a packing material of stainless steel wool and a ceramic blanket, it drops the sound level quite a bit over a straight pipe system. Give us a call if you have any questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 06-22-2005, 10:52 AM

Well, I love my Aeroturbine 4040-L. Compared to straight pipe, it lowers the pitch, but still lets out a pretty good growl when you get on it. However, it's never obnoxious while cruising down the highway, even towing my boat. But I'm the type of person that loves it when you get the occasional uphill music interruption... that turbo with the TT and the exhaust sing together so well!
Old 06-22-2005, 05:46 PM

A friend of mine had his 03 straight piped. It sounded great as long as you lived out in the country. When he moved into the city it was way too loud. So he put on a MRBP muffler, installed backwards. His truck really sounds good with the muffler installed that way.

Based on his results I installed a MRBP 4" SS exhaust on my truck (with the muffler the proper way). I was not happy with the results. I didn't like the sound of the exhaust at all. It was quieter than a straight pipe, but it sounded almost like a ricer with a fart can exhaust. I put on a muffled tip, in an attempt to quiet the sound a bit, but it really didn't help much. I ended up removing the MRBP muffler and put on a 42" Donaldson muffler, and I couldn't be happier. This muffler produces a deep throaty sound, without being obnoxious. Whenever I am in the city I find myself driving with the windows down just so I listen to exhaust and the sweet music of the turbo.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by 6 2 Carl
A friend of mine had his 03 straight piped. It sounded great as long as you lived out in the country. When he moved into the city it was way too loud. So he put on a MRBP muffler, installed backwards. His truck really sounds good with the muffler installed that way.

Based on his results I installed a MRBP 4" SS exhaust on my truck (with the muffler the proper way).
Which way is backwards/proper way ??

I have a shorty straight pipe 3.5" OEM exhaust on my 2nd Gen and it Drones to Beat Hell and back. I like the sound if it otherwise. Also, the wife HATES the drone and doesn't like riding in my truck because of it.

Will a 4" MRBP tame down my truck's drone but still keep the deep Semi sounding growl ??
Old 02-27-2006, 10:34 PM

I have heard SO MANY good things about the donaldson and nelson mufflers. Choose your size for your sound. I was going to get the 51" nelson or donaldson for my 03 since it didn't have a cat but traded it before i bought one. I have been curious about a shorter nelson or donaldson for my 05 and keep the cat in place to look for a nice big rig rumble, not too loud and no drone. so speaking of this... 6 2 Carl- do you still have your cat in place with that 42" donaldson?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:43 PM

i had a 5 inch straight pipe that was dumped under the bed...wow talk about loud! I love loud vehicles...all of my sports cars were very loud...but this took it to a new level. I ordered a Silverline 4in turbo back and i like it a lot...a bit quiet for my tastes but it will do for now. After listening to sound clips it souneded like the silverline was the louder of the two (Silverline v.MBRP) which i wanted the loudest...so thats what i got...not sure if it is or not..still just a lil quiet for me...my muffler my be falling off again before too long...Jason
Old 02-28-2006, 09:16 AM

Based on his results I installed a MRBP 4" SS exhaust on my truck (with the muffler the proper way). I was not happy with the results. I didn't like the sound of the exhaust at all. It was quieter than a straight pipe, but it sounded almost like a ricer with a fart can exhaust. I put on a muffled tip, in an attempt to quiet the sound a bit, but it really didn't help much. I ended up removing the MRBP muffler and put on a 42" Donaldson muffler, and I couldn't be happier. This muffler produces a deep throaty sound, without being obnoxious. Whenever I am in the city I find myself driving with the windows down just so I listen to exhaust and the sweet music of the turbo.

A ricer sound? That's not what I want to hear. Was it realy that bad.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I installed a MRBP 4" SS exhaust on my truck (with the muffler the proper way). I was not happy with the results. I didn't like the sound of the exhaust at all.
By "proper way" you mean you had the internal baffles facing FORWARDS as to "catch" the exhaust flow ??

Old 02-28-2006, 10:38 AM

I have had mine str8 piped for almost a year and I refuse to change it. The sound is really deep and kind of raspy on the upper rpms. With the exhaust being so long it is not loud in the cab at all. With the cat and and exhaust dumping under the bed it resembled a ricer. Other than that I will stay str8 pipe unless I am forced by emissions to put the kitty back in its place.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:45 AM

Is it possible to straight pipe a "cool dual" MBRP exaust? I see the muffler on the exaust in the pictures they have here in the ShopDTR section. I would just realy hate to spend $800 on a setup and have it sound like a fart can.