3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Losing the stacks

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesbfishin
The guys that have removed stacks and gone back to a conventional setup, what do you do with the hole in the bed?
Cover it with an auxiliary fuel tank / tool box combo.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Cover it with an auxiliary fuel tank / tool box combo.
Buy a small magnet sheet and cut it about 2" larger than the diameter of the hole. Maybe even spray paint it to match the bed.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
Buy a small magnet sheet and cut it about 2" larger than the diameter of the hole. Maybe even spray paint it to match the bed.
Wont sit flat due to the bed ridges. Not a bad idea though.

If you saved the original cut out you could weld it back in place.

Or leave it as is, makes for one heck of a bed drain.

I just covered mine with the fuel tank as mentioned.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prlsnpsdodge
So??? how was the weekend with the new exhaust?? likes/ Dislikes (stacks vs. non-stacks).... Notice any MPG variances???
Well good and bad. Sounds great, but a little quieter than i expected lol. Spool up time is quicker, egts are about the same maybe a tad lower. MPG so far is up about .5 mpg nothing to call home about...

Like the new setup for sure, but my ONLY dislike is......the stacks sounded better.

Then my turbo to elbow clamp broke, $80 and a couple of headaches getting it on but the truck is back up and running since being down on Sunday. ( headache in itself)
Old 10-05-2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by jamesbfishin
Is only fo decoration He's funny

There's a Ford 6.0 around here that sounds like that

The guys that have removed stacks and gone back to a conventional setup, what do you do with the hole in the bed?

WELL.... it makes a good black hole

and inspection hole...

and it got covered up with the toolbox....
Old 10-06-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by rip 112
Well good and bad. Sounds great, but a little quieter than i expected lol. Spool up time is quicker, egts are about the same maybe a tad lower. MPG so far is up about .5 mpg nothing to call home about...

Like the new setup for sure, but my ONLY dislike is......the stacks sounded better.

Then my turbo to elbow clamp broke, $80 and a couple of headaches getting it on but the truck is back up and running since being down on Sunday. ( headache in itself)
That's Good info Did your clamp break from being worn out, or was it from just trying to make sure it was tight enough, and then the dreaded sound of breaking metal????
Old 10-06-2010, 09:03 AM

I believe it broke from age, but the way it looks is crazy. It is missing a chunk of it now that we have it off and could look closer. It really looked like it was ripped more than snapped, like maybe it was broke for some time?

Blake and Colo River Ram or anyone who may know this, I have a couple of concerns about the new clamp, we got everything lined up well and the clamp seemed to go on fine. But if you look on top of the clamp on the flange it doesnt seem to have fit in the groove of the clamp all the way. Its tight and it aint moving. But should i expect that clamp to seat down fully? Its not leaking or anything either.

And guys that have to buy this clamp in the future, buy the nut with it, its a separate part number. I had heck last night because I had the bright idea to just reuse my original nut. Clamp looked exactly the same, the threads were a size of from the broke one, the nut wouldnt fit!!!! Had to go scroungin around for a nut that would work, ended up with 2 and doubled them on the threads.

Name:  DSCF0753.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  130.9 KB
Name:  DSCF0754.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  139.3 KB
Old 10-06-2010, 09:06 AM

Rick

If it aint leaking, give it a little time to settle in, retighten and then check it.

But it should be ok.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:10 AM

Ok cool thats what I'm thinking.

I get nervous about that thing now, after paying that much for a clamp I sure want this new one to last.

Thanks !!!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:13 AM

Even though its stainless, and is post turbo, it will see enough heat that it will soften up some and "mold" into place. Technically it will gain ductility.

Id say run it for a couple of days and then take a look at it.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:47 AM

Ight guys and gals here she be!

Notes for you to take into consideration:

Some of you may think the tailpipe is too low; however, this is how the kit came, I'm sure this is more suited for the 4wd as is. For the moment I like it how it is, mainly because I would have to drive 80 miles round trip just to get that 5" bended up some. The fitment is right on par, but the pipe cant be adjusted anymore without hitting the axle.

The truck nutz are welded on (a gag by some friends, I just havent got around to grinding the wire off). They did a wonderful job.

Also notice the new headlights with clear side lenses and foglights, I think eliminating that orange lense helped alot.

Name:  DSCF0755.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  257.2 KB
Name:  DSCF0756.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  189.5 KB
Name:  DSCF0757.jpg
Size:  210.8 KB
Name:  DSCF0758.jpg
Size:  149.4 KB
Old 10-08-2010, 01:49 PM

Very nice..... How much were those lenses???
Old 10-08-2010, 07:17 PM

You can rotate it at that last bend a little to get it angled back up some, I didnt like the look so I made my own "tip". Its 6" pipe and the transition is back by the rear end so you cant see the transition and I welded it at a slight angle back up so it would tuck up more to the bumper....
mine was the same way
Name:  clean007.jpg
Size:  73.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5013.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  132.4 KB
Name:  6intip005.jpg
Size:  56.8 KB
Old 10-08-2010, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by prlsnpsdodge
Very nice..... How much were those lenses???
Got the whole set, fog lights and headlights for $180 shipped. Couldnt be happier....

Pooter, yep looks like we are on the same page. Undecided on a tip, but I know the pipe will have to come up some. We got it adjusted as high as possible without changing the angle of the tail, dont want it to look like its not level and still want good drainage when I get water in there... so in order for me to get it raised I'm gonna have to get it bent or do a tip.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:40 PM

when I took the stack out of mine it was a relief for me, I could run it thru the carwash and not worry about it. I got soot in the interior a few times and that really made me mad when you have khaki interior its almost impossible to get the stains out

Quick Reply: Losing the stacks