3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Losing the stacks

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Losing the stacks

Guys I think its been a good run. The stacks have been awesome, sounds great, looks great, but the downsides are apparent. Stuff melts if it gets close, soot gets blown all over my equipment, and all over the bed just after I washed it. And then i have this little part in me that wants to hear more of the turbo and less of the exhaust.

So I'm thinking of going with a 5" full exhaust and finally get the 04.5-07 4" cast elbow, probably will get the budget exhaust from Rollinsmokediesel.

Those of you that have had both, what sound are you preferring??? Stacks? or out the back?

It would be weird to see the truck without stacks again lol.

Name:  DSCF0450.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  155.4 KB
Old 09-20-2010, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rick, I have a friend with one of those elbows for sale. PM me if interested. (No downpipe clamp though)

As for the stacks, I kind of like them but then sometimes I don't. I've seen many that are way overkill and just look dumb. Yours do look good but I'd get tired of cleaning soot off the truck. Get yourself a nice set of duals if you get rid of the stacks. They look great too....
Old 09-20-2010, 06:44 PM

Will PM on the elbow, thanks!

Duals would be nice, but not sure on price or if I can fit 5" duals or what on a 2wd. Most dual kits are for 4wds. I think I will like a full 5" with a good tip or rough.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:31 PM

Like a boat, the two best days with stacks are the day you put them on and the day you get rid of them

I love the sound, but got tired real fast of the soot all over the bed/back no matter what, and worse when it rains.

Pick up a expandit kit, same thing from RSD cheap and works great. I installed a 17" FTE resonator too when I got tired of the drone at "that" speed on the highway, and still sounds great too....
Old 09-20-2010, 08:41 PM

Thanks pooter, you catch my drift pretty well. Not to say I wont miss the stacks, and the tailgate checking lol.

Prob will go with the muffler mia, when it becomes an issue i will put a 5" flo pro twister on it.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I know cbrahs (Chris) took his stacks off and went with a 5" kit. Sounds really good. Maybe he will chime in here with more details.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:20 PM

I've got stacks in my 99 dually , but the chummins crewcab that I'm building won't have em'. I think I'm gonna go with dual custom side pipes , 4" with built in steps . Something different , but still the same sound just my .02
Old 09-22-2010, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had them for a few months before ripping them out also. It wasn't because the soot but of the nasty drone. My eyeballs would roll in my skull from the drone right at 1950 when towing heavy. Sounded great around town but on the highway........my rearview mirror would vibrate at that magic rpm. I've tried everything from rubber between stack mount and bed, dual mufflers (donaldson and flowmaster hush I think it was called) but no good.

I now have a simple 4" MBRP (I had the cool duals before the stacks which had a little drone but was nothing like the stacks) with their open flow muffler and its gotta be 1/4 the sound and NO DRONE when towing compared to stacks.

To each their own.....
Attached Thumbnails Losing the stacks-dsc02077.jpg  
Old 09-22-2010, 10:33 PM

Yea I get that same drone, the truck picks up in pitch after that and sounds like a biplane lol Makes ppl snap their heads. I agree it can be obnoxious, especially with a load behind.

Thanks for sharing, and sweet looking rig man.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:15 PM

You might consider some kind of muffler unless you have a good buddy that does state inspections. The last time I had mine done the guy crawled under the truck to check for a muffler and went up, down and all around checking everything. Then didn't pass it because window tint was to dark. Same tint was on it the last four times he passed it. Maybe he got busted over his inspections or was having a bad day but I went across town and they passed it without a problem.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:22 PM

Had a little trouble with that this year, the dealership wouldnt inspect me but my buddy in Round Top took care of me. They are cracking down on it somewhat. They have DOT officers coming in to do random checks and whatnot now days.

Half the cops around here still say a turbo is a muffler, the younger ones know better though.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:16 AM

I only have a single 5" stack and I have a muffler. I also installed Dynamat extreme all in the back of the cab and on the roof. The drone is not really bad till you put a big load on then I can handle it just fine for about 4-5 hours and then have to put in the ear plugs. Plus I think the kids will really like being able to hear the radio. I am also going to be ditching the stack and going to be building a custom exaust tip side exit. Really going to miss the tailgating repellant. It will really cut down on the costs at the carwash too (WHITE TRUCK + soot = zebra stripes after rain)
Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RVPro
(WHITE TRUCK + soot = zebra stripes after rain)
Is it a black truck with white stripes or white truck with black stripes?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:50 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I drove my friends 06 for a while that had your same stacks... they drove me crazy! I greatly prefer my MBRP 5" for the best compromise of sound and ability to put up with the noise in the cab.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
I drove my friends 06 for a while that had your same stacks... they drove me crazy! I greatly prefer my MBRP 5" for the best compromise of sound and ability to put up with the noise in the cab.

I'm thinking on the same lines as you. I dont want my truck by any means to be quiet, I just dont want the noise so close to the cab anymore.

And I'm lucky my truck is blue, the soot is all over it right now.

Quick Reply: Losing the stacks