3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking for some powermax cr info

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for some powermax cr info

I am in the market for a fueling box and have some questions about the tst powermax. I want a box primarily for mileage. I have read their is a timing only setting for mileage and no extra fuel added is this true and what are expected gains? I will only use the other settings for pulling my atvs or small tractor, so always under 5000 lbs. I would also like to cut my passing times down on the highway and do so wihout the worry of slipping the stock clutch. I see some people post 4/4 is max on the h/o for stock cofiguration, so just what is the hp/torque #'s on this setting? One last question, what is max boost on 4/4? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:46 PM

Thumbs up

SC,

The PMCR is the most incredible computer box I have ever installed on a pickup. So far I have run only one tank of fuel through it, running mostly 4x4 settings some 3x3, it is unbelievable horsepower, the first tank of fuel was a little over 19 mpg. I'm currently running the box on 1x1 setting to see what type of fuel mileage I can get on that setting. Let me tell you what happened the first night after I got it connected, I live approx 2 miles off the highway on a country dirt road, so after the slow drive to the highway I got lined up and proceeded to go through the gears as always 2-4th was typical to moderate (I'm not a WOT operator), but I began to notice a very radical response after the turbo hit approx 20 psi. in 5th gear and then 6th I had more HP than I could keep on the ground (clutch or wheels began to break loose), I quickly set the remote to 3x3 setting for fear of breaking something.
You have to readjust your foot pressure to take full advantage of the HP and wild torque. These boxes are not for those who think they will run WOT with stock equipment, in other words it expects you to know how to use it, it is not dummyfied, I think it is the best thing I have ever seen for aftermarket diesels (and done with duration not pressure increase) I hope I'm still singing the same song 100,000 miles down the road, I have not had any codes thrown at this point. I have approx 31,000 on my 03 SRW LWB QC 4x4 6spd. Installation time is minimal, the biggest time was spent installing the pyro probe into the manifold. If you want to have the best box on the market then go with the PMCR it will put your money to work.

Chris
Old 04-13-2004, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the pmcr for about 2 weeks. My 2004 had a weird problem where it would not start on the first key cycle when the engine was cold. Turns out this was a known problem they had just fixed (I had gotten an old module by mistake). TST mailed me a new module with a pre-paid UPS return lable to send back the old module. This updated module works on the first ignition cycle. I haven't had any code problems.

I haven't gone beyond 3/3 yet. There's a bunch of punch with that setting. I'm currently doing some mpg comparisons on 1/1 and will see what/if any improvement there is. The first partial tank on 1/1 didn't show any improvements, but my driving conditions were not consistent with my baseline conditions (more city driving, hauling a load of wood into a headwind, etc.) Interestingly, on 1/1 my computer predicted mpg was within 0.2mpg of my hand-calculated mpg (my trip computer has always been accurate to within -0.1/+0.3 mpg from hand calculated).

So far I'm very happy with this box and with TST's customer service. Coming from a Dmax I'm very concerned with Injector issues (the Dmax forums seemed to be filled with injector problems), and am scared of the pressure type boxes (injector wear increases with pressure). I prefer timing/duration and TST fills the bill.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. Ram-Red where in sw mo do you live, I am 8 miles south of nevada. Small world I guess.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by TDIwyse
Interestingly, on 1/1 my computer predicted mpg was within 0.2mpg of my hand-calculated mpg
Which was??
Old 04-14-2004, 07:12 AM

"Which was ... " 18.6 mpg hand calculated and 18.8 mpg computer predicted.

This morning before work I filled up a partial tank at the same pump I've been using for the last two months and hand calculated 20.03 mpg (running on 1/1). This is 1 mpg better than my best previous PMCR average for similar driving conditions.

However, there are more variables involved than just the PMCR. This is because I've just recently changed my front and rear differential fluid, the fuel stations are starting to change their fuel to more of a summer blend, and my truck has 2780 miles on it and is still breaking in. These other variables may be conspiring to improve the fuel mileage as well, so the improvement may or may not have anything to do with the PMCR.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:19 PM

This box is sounding good but, I am hard to convince, maybe because I am from missouri. I have read some posts where guys have found fuel in their oil. I can see why it would happen in the higher settings with more fuel in than it can efficiently use so here is my question. Do you guys feel the box keeps the timing and duration in safe parameters on the settings below 4/4 for everyday driving? I want some power but not to the point where fuel is in the oil and heat is really hard to manage. I want to know what the breakover settings are for the drivability and longevity, to the smoke blowing, tire spinning, walk all over the furdturds and shoveachevy settings.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:07 PM

5x5 slipped my 6 spd right away, 4x4 driving up slight grade if I stomp on it the clutch will slip at about 1900 rpm,I have tried 9x3 while passing -didnt floor it totally lots of smoke, clutch held hit over 100 mph very quik,started to defuel because of egts. Unreal power. I have tried ez,predator,quadzilla 100 hp at 4x4 this tst feels way stonger than the rest by far.Fuel milage down a bit due to right foot. Next week will be installing a new clutch.

Make sure you get the most recent box - bought mine last week throws codes- there shipping out another module. Bought a code reader- and erased the codes - so far there gone.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:51 AM

Cool

SC,

I live south of Joplin 5-6 miles, I have enjoyed the box very much, in fact I have had a few Ford owners now wanting to trade there FPJ in on a New Cummins. I'm still trying to get a good read on the fuel mileage, but every time I get close to getting a good 1x1 average someone want s to feel the difference in this little 359 cube six cylinder, I think If you are getting this strictly for fuel mileage, you best not, It is simply to hard to resist the temptation to use the additional power to eat someones lunch. If you keep your foot out of it I think you can maintain the same fuel mileage or maybe a little better even set on a 3x3 setting. 4x4 causes my clutch to slip with the explosive torque @ 30 psi and higher.

I hope this helps, which TST offers a 30 day window if you don't like it. I would try it if I were you, what do you have to loose? I will warn you this is not for the weak of heart it will truly impress!
Old 04-20-2004, 11:07 AM

OK, so it's true that setting 1x1 on the PMCR is timing only, no extra fuel? Is there a perceptible difference in power on 1x1?
Old 04-20-2004, 11:31 AM

I think 1x0 is timing only (according to the email response I received from TST). By going to 1x1 you are adding additional fuel at the low rpms. I've noticed a lot of people tend to keep the hp and torque settings about equal (i.e. 1x1, 2x2, 3x3, etc.). This will give you a big torque bump at lower rpms (good for towing) as opposed to a flat torque curve (the torque curve on the website at 9x9 has a huge peak at 1700 rpms but falls off at higher rpms, a 9x0 would have more of a flat torque response). It is neat to feel how the response changes with different settings.

I've been extremely pleased with the product so far. Took awhile to get a response from TST to my email questions, but they did finally answer all of them.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by RadRam
Make sure you get the most recent box - bought mine last week throws codes- there shipping out another module. Bought a code reader- and erased the codes - so far there gone.
RadRam,

Where did you find a code reader and what did it set you back?
Old 04-20-2004, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the info Ram-Red. One last question, can you use your existing gauges alongside the tst's gauges, will they just hook up to the existing connections on the pyro? I do not want the extra gauges, but I want to be able to set my defuel at 1100 deg., so I guess I have to buy the gauges and controller too.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:22 PM

Gypsyman - canadian tire - Innova 3100 249.00 cdn.
Just do a search on code readers - seen them advertized for 149.00 US. - Works awesome.

This is in the manual - Caution :when the code readers erase function is used to erase the dtc,s from the vehicles on-board computer, Freeze Frame data and manufactures specific enhanced data are also eraced, and the I/M readiness monitor status for all vehicle monitors is reset to not run or Complete status.

If the codes are erased, valuable information that might help the technician troubleshoot the problem will also be erased.

hope this helps.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the info RadRam.

Quick Reply: Looking for some powermax cr info