3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Long term and every day use of fuel pressure boxes on a 305/555

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long term and every day use of fuel pressure boxes on a 305/555

Heres my situation im not a dealership "dodgetech" anymore there for if i tear up my truck its going to be a little harder for me to fanagel parts if you know what i mean. and its making me alittle more careful about how i run my truck. my new job requires the use of my truck all day long it pretty much doesnt shut off its basicly my office. Right now i have the EDGE EZ box set on level 2 but im having trouble NOT turning it up to 4. I drive pretty conservitive most of the time but sometimes i like to lay into it a little. So do i turn it all the way up or be safe and leave it on 2. i was just trying to see what everyone else is doing?I have alot of experience with these motors in there stock form but you guys on this board have done more R&D then i could ever imagine with performance parts so thats why i welcome your opinions and past experiences

Thanks Russ
Old 09-11-2005, 12:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Russ....
Hock your EZ and buy the new 305/555 Juice w/Attitiude.
I've had my Juice w/Attitude since last Thursday, and the in-cab adjustability is great. I, too, previously owned an EZ....for what it's worth, I had over 24k miles of use on #4 with no check engine light and no problems whatsoever. EDGE makes a very nice product.....from what little problems I've heard of, EDGE backs their products with quick service too, in the event there is a problem.
Greg
Old 09-11-2005, 12:34 PM
JAF

Almost 120,000 miles of towing 10,000 to 26,000 lbs. with the EZ on #4. I burnt the torque converter at the 100,000 mile mark. That's it.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:54 PM

I think it depends on how long you plan on keeping your truck. 80hp and up with advanced fuel pressure only is tough on the rail. Its my belief that less pressure and some duration and timing is easier on the rail than straight pressure alone esp. at higher levels.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by bigman
I think it depends on how long you plan on keeping your truck. 80hp and up with advanced fuel pressure only is tough on the rail. Its my belief that less pressure and some duration and timing is easier on the rail than straight pressure alone esp. at higher levels.

Thats the kinda things ive reading about on here but with pressure boxes is the higher then normal fuel pressures sustained on normal driving? Or just when you run it hard
Old 09-11-2005, 01:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I keep hearing that with the pressure, your injectors will go early. What is defined as early? I have seen where there are bunches of folks that are modded out and really have not heard of rail or injector problems. Granted, most only have 50 - 70k of miles on with these boxes. I guess we will have to see when we get to over 100k and if people start replacing rails and injectors. Just curious on these presumptions...
Old 09-11-2005, 08:04 PM

I've had my EZ for 2 years on #4. I don't baby my truck but at the same time, I don't abuse the #ell out of it. No issues. I couldn't afford not to run this thing. An extra 2 mpg is worth it at these prices.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:18 PM

The way I see it is, the EZ is not a bad module. I also want to get the juice w/attitude, but, why not get the EZ for now (all I want is leve 1-2), and then get the juice w/attitude later and stack them.

Makes sence to me.

I also use my truck for work, and, if its down... I am down, and loose a LOT of money and potential clients.

However, give then fact that I sometimes "need" the extra power and milage, I might just go that route.

Although everyone is saying the the juice w/attiude, I might just go with the EZ for now. Like I said..all I want is a tiny bit more...
Old 09-11-2005, 10:38 PM

i heard about recent injector problems associated with running the ez on level 4. Some people have problems at 20-30k, mine was on level 4 for maybe 15k. I now run it on level 1. when my warranty is up i am going to get BD power pup downloader.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a really good thread started by Don M on some of the damage he has found from long term pressure box use while changing tips on our injectors. Some good pictures, explanations, causes, symptoms, and what he considers safe pressure. In a nut shell, power and mileage will go down as the injectors become scuffed, but it isn't going to "break" anything to the point that you have to replace parts. Good read: http://www.nwbombers.com/forum/index...pic=13895&st=0
Old 09-11-2005, 11:22 PM

That is a good thread.

It makes a guy think. But it really is tough to decide what "box" to use. I would like a bit more fuel pressure, maybe level 1 or 2. Its gonna be a tough decision.

Also, if I wanted to get a fuel pressure gauge, what range of fuel pressure am I looking for (for the gauge), and, where can I plug it in? I want an electric gauge for sure, for the ease of install.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:58 AM

Don...Great Thread!

I count heavily on the knowlege shared by individuals such as you, and loving this truck as I do, appreciate the sharing of said knowlege more than I can tell you.
Do you have any imput on any injector wear brought on in an 04.5 by using the Ramifier box? I usually cruise with the box off, but do like to play with it at times. Because of the altitude I am often at (live at 8500 ft.), I rarely exceed going past 50% rotation of the "Fun ****".
Thanks again,
Mike
Old 09-12-2005, 01:38 PM

I'm running the Xzillaraider box on the 60hp setting. If I recall correctly a bit of the hp comes from timing and some comes from pressure. I sure don't want injector failure and need my truck to last, so the question is, does the Xzillaraider box on the 60hp setting have lower rail pressure than the EZ box on level 4?

I went with the Xzillaraider because of how smooth it is, and how gental it is with the factory turbo.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:59 PM

Here is the way you need to look at adding pressure and how it can or can't damage your injectors. I will use my product as an example as I know the ins and outs of how we make it work.

First you need to realize that even on the highest setting say 26,500 psi max pressure you will only reach this point when you are hammering it. What you need to look at is the amount of time spent at higher than stock pressures. The only way you will damage the injectors if you spend time at higher than stock pressures. So say you average 14-20K average everyday driving pressures, as long as you stay within those parameters you are really not changing the wear and tear on the injectors at all. So how can that be possible? Simple, just because you are adding pressure does not necessarily mean you are using max pressure. If you are at 14K stock then we may raise it in that area to 15k. SUre it is more pressure at a given point, but no more than any average truck would normally see.

Now with our products we create maps and tables based on all sorts of information ie. boost, load etc. With my product if you drive like an average guy you will rarely see the pressure higher than 23k. The only time you will see max pressure is wide open above 20spi of boost. The way we map it we can actually make more power at earlier rpm without increasing the pressure at all. We can just simply bring it in faster and alter the stock curve. So unless you are just trashing your truck on an everyday basis you should never really stress the injectors any more than stock. Actually in some testing we did we actually saw less peak pressure with our module on than we did stock because we changed the curve and increased torque and therefore less fuel was needed to maintain the tasks we were doing.

Now how can you hurt the injector and why is pressure considered by some to be harmful? That is a fairly simple answer. We have also done some testing with competitors products which will remain nameless.

Another way to add pressure and make power is simply by using resistance on the line to pull the signal down. This is a cheaper and eaiser way to do this, but the resolution and drivability usually suffer somewhat. These companies build a resistor matrix with multiple resistor values. Then based upon boost or the actual voltage of the sensor they choose a resistance value and allow it to pull the signal down. Doing this causes the truck to compensate and increase the pressure. This is not a wrong way to do it and if done properly it can work fine. The problem then lies in how they choose to use the resistors. In one instance I know that we were using cruise control and were seeing pressures of around 25K. Now this is not too much pressure, but it is too much sustained pressure. In other words you don't want to be crusing at 60mph with those pressure. The reasons this happens is that they don't have the resolution to constantly change the pressure based on the situation. The are limited to a few different values and thats it. This is how you can damage injectors. With the same load and the same speed the stock truck ran 16K and we ran 17k.

Hope that helps and is not confusing, if it is let me know and I will try and clarify. I am by no means bashing any pressure box, just honestly telling you how 2 similar things can be drastically different.

Quad
Old 09-12-2005, 03:49 PM

Excellent info Quad. and also one more reason why I stay on the 60hp setting of my race box. I tend to have a lead foot and accelerate "briskly" from a stop. I'm afraid that my driving style on the 100hp setting on a daily basis my be detrimental to my engine's health...

Quick Reply: Long term and every day use of fuel pressure boxes on a 305/555