3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Killer B2 problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Killer B2 problem

First and foremeost I really do like allot about this turbo it is night and day better than the original HTB2 I had on here as far as holding my egt's in check. But with this said under medium throttle between 1700 and 2100 RPM this thing really starts to cavitate or stall the compressor, under full throttle there is no problem and under light accelleration you can kinda hear it but not bad. Anyone else have this same problem or know of anything that I could try to fix it. Thanks, Mike
Old 11-06-2004, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was another guy that posted on TDR about the same problem when he went to a HTT B2. He posted that when he took off the stock air box and went with a smooth intake tube the problem went away. Speculated that the stock tube created too much turbulence or restriction....something like that. I see that you already have an AFE and smooth intake tube, so it is hard to say. Let us know what you figure out or what HTT says about it. I know a lot of people are watching that turbo evolve and would like to know.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:54 PM

Here is the thread: http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...=108549&page=6

About half way down page 6 is where they start talking about the surge. Thru page 7 where he posts on what fixed it for him.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by AK RAM
Here is the thread: http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...=108549&page=6

About half way down page 6 is where they start talking about the surge. Thru page 7 where he posts on what fixed it for him.
Thanks AK I do appreciate it. This turbo is sweet though, it spools just a little slower than the original HTTB but with this turbo on level 5 or even 4 my egt's would hit 1700 and just keep climbing fast, but with the Killer B2-14 they spike at a little more than 1700 and then come back down to about 1500 on level 9x9 and on 5x5 they stay below 1300, and keep in mind that I tend to have a pretty heavy foot (go figure). If we could get this surging under control I think that we may have finally found a very good single charger for these 3rd gens. Mike
Old 11-07-2004, 05:01 PM

I have the exact same problem. Just bolted my Killer B2 on 3 days ago. On Friday I called up HTT and talked to Paul. He said alot of people have contacted him with this problem. Paul told me that the Killer B2 might have some how be out of its map? They have redesigned some new compressor wheels with Borg Warner and are going to be availible in a week or two. Paul said he would send me one as soon as they get them from Borg Warner. Or They would install it for me, since I am only about 3 hours from Salt Lake City. Besides the Surging, this Turbo Absoulutly ROCKS.....D: I am not able to go past 6/2 on my tst, with 100 hp of pressure becuse i just blows right on through my clutch. But that problem will be fixed in the near future with a double disk...
Old 11-07-2004, 07:02 PM

I have also had the same problem with the turbo although it's on an older truck. Paul said they should have a new compressor wheel to try out by Wednesday so maybe this will cure it.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by bearww
I have the exact same problem. Just bolted my Killer B2 on 3 days ago. On Friday I called up HTT and talked to Paul. He said alot of people have contacted him with this problem. Paul told me that the Killer B2 might have some how be out of its map? They have redesigned some new compressor wheels with Borg Warner and are going to be availible in a week or two. Paul said he would send me one as soon as they get them from Borg Warner. Or They would install it for me, since I am only about 3 hours from Salt Lake City. Besides the Surging, this Turbo Absoulutly ROCKS.....D: I am not able to go past 6/2 on my tst, with 100 hp of pressure becuse i just blows right on through my clutch. But that problem will be fixed in the near future with a double disk...
That is great to hear that they got this problem almost resolved because as I said before this turbo is awsome. Are they giving you the new compressor under warranty?
Old 11-07-2004, 09:18 PM

Mike S

From talking to Paul yes, they will stand behind this turbo as long as Im not using drugs on my truck(nitrous or propane). I specified all my mods to him over the phone, and they answered all my questions, and made me feel pretty good about purchasing this turbo. That it is a rock solid bullet proof turbo(I have heard all the same stuff from another company and thier turbo only lived a day an half on my truck with the Tst box alone, old version). They are salesmen too, besides building turbo's, so well see. Paul and Steve were very imformantive and were awsome to deal with so far. I think that they have to inspect the truck though. Wich I am making a trip over to see them within the next week or two. I really hate the Idea of taking this turbo back off and reinstalling it again. Since this was not the easiest turbo to install, compared to the stock ones. which my truck has totally fried a couple so far.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by bearww
I have heard all the same stuff from another company and thier turbo only lived a day an half on my truck with the Tst box alone, old version.
Can you tell us which turbo that was to save someone else the heartache and damage that usually comes along with it?
Old 11-08-2004, 10:38 AM

AK RAM, That turbo is no longer avalible. But it was a ATS Auroa, the big one, it also was not wastegated. The sales person that sold me this turbo said i would get 60 Psi out of it with my setup, and that i couldnot hurt it , that it was a rocksolid turbo. I babyed this turbo for almost 500 miles, had to make a 7hr round trip with it right after i bolted it up. When I got home I started to play. My very first WOT run on level 5/5 gernated it when i shifted form 5th to 6th. To make a long story short ATS did not stand behind this turbo, when I told them what I had on my truck and they told me this was the turbo I needed. ATS wanted another 800 dollars just to rebuild it. I was already into this turbo 1900 dollars counting shipping and everything. I really donot want to start anthing here it was just a bad exsperience for me. Althoght after a couple of weeks I called up VISA and explained what had happened, Visa said they would work with them to resolve this problem. Not Sure what happened but all I Know is about a month later 1900 dollars was credited back to my VISA card.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:46 AM

The surge is sometimes caused by no enough drive pressure...a slightly smaller ehaust housing can fiz that problem as well. High altitude will make matters worse. You may not have a surge at 5,000 ft....but have a huge one over 10,000 feet.

1900-2100 is where the TST really starts to hit and spool the turbo realy fast...it ussually occurs around 15 psi boost and does not clear up to 20 psi boost.

Please respond back with what you do to resolve. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:04 PM

Maybe twins will be the only solution? Anyone ever heard of twins surging?
Old 11-08-2004, 01:08 PM

Just talked to Paul at HTT and they do have a new compressor on the way that is supposed to cure the problem, and I would also like to add that their customer service is second to none, they genuinely care about customer satisfaction which is extremely hard to find now a day's, they are sending me a new turbo as soon as the new compressors are in and tested, I highly recommend these guy's to anyone looking to upgrade there turbo. Mike
Old 11-10-2004, 04:44 PM

Old 11-11-2004, 03:34 PM

Anyone get to try out that new compressor wheel yet?

Quick Reply: Killer B2 problem