3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

K&N No Good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N No Good?

nobody really likes the K&N intakes. My buddy's got one and he hasnt had any prob with it. All i want is the whistle really. I want the afe stage II but dont want to spend $420. Any advice would help. thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 02:43 PM

You could save a couple hundred dollars and try the stage I AFE.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Banned

I have ran this same K&N filter in my '99 and then moved it to my '02 when I bought it. I haven't had any problems, but then again, I'm not all hopped up on chips and large turbos and I'm not sucking enough air to make 700 hp either. I'm mainly stock with a few mods that don't do much, see sig. I think folk's main concern is the fact that K&Ns have the ability to let more dirt through. To cure this, take the time to keep them clean and lubricated. Others have stated that they deposit oil residue on intake components and other stuff. Horse hocky. If folks are running used engine oil through the fuel tanks in low quantities as well as all the other that stuff folks are shoving through these trucks to save a buck, a little "clean" oil in the air shouldn't hurt, just in my opinion of course. I'm an electrical engineer, not a diesel mechanic! But like I said, my truck isn't on crack like most on this site. One thing is for sure, you can really hear my turbo sing without the ring using the K&N. I pulled 30 #350 steers (#10,500 plus the trailer weight) across Oklahoma last Friday and it really sings when loaded!

I forgot to post...I have just the K&N filter in the factory box, not the K&N intake. Sorry. It just came to me what you were talking about.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:17 PM

get a UNI filter... I spent like $60 for the filter and outer filter. Scotty intakes uses them. I have had mine for 40k miles and never any dirt inside the tube.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:42 PM

I would get a AFE over a K & N, just my opinion
Old 05-22-2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by WUnderwood
I would get a AFE over a K & N, just my opinion
the stage 1 orII thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 06:33 PM

Get the Tru-Flow Intake system. $160 and you get a replacement FOAM=Thick Filter and a Canister replacement. This will greatly improve the Turbo Whistle and also helps on the MPG. These are tested and proven to flow better and Filter better than the K&N.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:49 PM

Take the slincer ring out. Take out the plastic cross in the stock intake and drill 3/4" holes in the bottom of the stock air box. This is all free mods and you get a pretty good whistle out of it.
Kory
Old 05-23-2006, 11:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
my turbo was a wee bit dirty from the K&N in my gallery,

but it's dang near too loud. i think I want a BHAF to put on my K&N tube.

search some more, you can build the tube for ~$30 or so, put a BHAF on it, be good.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:56 PM

Check Out The Quadzilla Intake......

Larry sells them from the Diesel Truck Resource STORE......
Old 05-23-2006, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the K&N FIPK for a while and I kept it clean and appropriately oiled and never noticed any residue on the inside of the tube or any excess oil on the turbine blades. However, for towing, or up hills when under load, the whistle was too earsplitting, so I switched to a BHAF for the time being. But it did sound killer when going through the gears with the aftermarket kit on there.

I mounted the BHAF to the old air tube to the turbo. I had a hard time getting it to fit with the K&N tube.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 05-23-2006, 09:07 PM

I installed the k&n a couple of months ago.I love the whistle.I had one on my gas truck before I went diesel.I have never had any problems with the k&n.She sounds like a jet airplane.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Banned

35" 05',

Let's not call brand names here, ANY 4 layer non cross stacked element gauze filter will pass a LOT of dirt thru a diesel with zero or major mods!! All the 4 layer filters (other than AFE) take a stack 4 layers of oiled gauze so the holes in the gauze are lined up like a tunnell! The AFE cross stacks them to force the air to turn as it passes thru, which catches tons more dirt as it exposes the dirt and air to more filter media surface area!

Now consider the AFE Pro Guard 7, 5 layers of cross stacked gauze and 2 layers of a synthetic media. In tests on the Duramax site it fitered with in 1/2 of 1% (that's nearly nothing 1/2 of 1%) as well as the stock AC Delco filter, yet it almost kept up with the 4 layer filters air flow rate at the same time!

Now I knwo you're saying so what I don't see any dirt in my tube, you're right and you won't as dirt will not stick to a smooth clean surface that has a air tornado in it all day long. I just got back from a Ford rally and it never fails there is someone there that says their brand X filter doesn't pass any dirt! I always ask them if they have a thick skin and if they want to really see about the real deal on their truck. You see the Ford's have a crankcase vent just prior to the turbo, it lets a little oil mist collect there and approx 1-2% of the dirt that gets past the filter will colect in the stick oily residue. Sure enough they always say "come on show me"! We remove the accordion hose and I take their finger and run it thru the oily residue, then ask them to rub their fingers together, sure enough on the two trucks we did this on it's like rubbing sand paper together. Now we look at their turbo blades and depending on how many miles they have run a 4 layer filter the blades will just start to have a nice polished leading edge. We even did this on a poorly serivced truck with a foam filter on it, the dirt wasovr a 1/16th of an inch thick!!!!!!! Dodges don't have a vent, so you won't see any dirt collect, if you really want to know get some heavy axle grease and smear it really thin in a 6 inch square area, drive 10,000 miles and then do the finger rub test, you'll be surprised!!!!

Mark @ DPPI