3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

K&N Air Filters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make the Leap to a Cold Air Intake

Make the Leap to a Cold Air Intake. AFE/S&B/Volant are the better ones. I'm sure the other fellas will throw some more suggestion to ya.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:46 AM

I just ordered AEM 's brute force intake because of what i had read about the oil into the turbo. AEM is a dry media fitler and is supposed to filter down to 1 micron , the website is aempower.com if you want to check it out
Old 12-07-2006, 10:31 AM

There is nothing wrong with oiled filter elements. The issue is with over-oiling the element which of course is a user error.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K&N is good. BHAF isn't that good for performance because it is very restrictive. I use a $38 Spectre filter from Autozone! It's an oiled filter and there's nothing wrong with it. There's no dirt or oil in my tube or turbo. Some of these guys probably put way to much oil on it or not enough.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cowboy 6
There is nothing wrong with oiled filter elements. The issue is with over-oiling the element which of course is a user error.
Originally Posted by drolex
K&N is good. BHAF isn't that good for performance because it is very restrictive. I use a $38 Spectre filter from Autozone! It's an oiled filter and there's nothing wrong with it. There's no dirt or oil in my tube or turbo. Some of these guys probably put way to much oil on it or not enough.
It probably is user error! I know after I recharged my K&N following their instructions.... my airbox and tube behind the filter were dusty and oily....I didn't like it. Granted that wasn't on my 3rd gen CTD, but i am assuming all K&N products to be the same.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:01 AM

we all know what happens when you go assuming 97 you make an *** out of u and.......ming? i guess it works better when you say assume......haha
Old 12-07-2006, 11:03 AM

I had a K&N on my truck,, and I am very careful as to how I oil it (right to the factory specs) My filter got a little wet, and with the stock turbo it sucked itself into about half its size. That was enough for me, I am running the afe now,, no similar problems, been wonderful

Kevin
Old 12-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigredBCS
we all know what happens when you go assuming 97 you make an a$$ out of u and.......ming? i guess it works better when you say assume......haha
You'll get an infraction for that statement. make it ***. i already got that warning today

and no it didn't make an *** out of anyone....my experience reflects my opinion of K&N and heck its my opinion! you can't change it.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:08 AM

haha thanks for the heads up i changed it cant afford two in oen day
Old 12-07-2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by bigredBCS
what do you base its suckiness on? ive had k&ns on my last two diesels, never had any problems, jsut clean it off every once in a while which consists of me wiping it down with a shop rag... my 99 had one on it for over 250,000 miles never saw anything in the tube that would make me think the filter wasnt doing its job, dad has always run em on his diesels and we run the xstreams on our drag trucks and cant complain( those thing are pretty darn cool!) now im not in now way hating on any othe brand filters, id love to have an afe setup but my money isnt aloowing me to by one right now( havnt given my monthly plasma doantions! haha) but for the guy who jsut wants a better than stock filter and cant throw down a couple hundred bucks on a intake and filter, i think k&n is the way to go....jsut my two cents

K&N is good But i personaly feel that For an Awesomely made vehical like Dodge Cummins needs the best and the best i feel is the AFE Stage2. Just
my 2Centados
Old 12-11-2006, 07:16 PM

Anyone seen the AEM WorkHorse? What a dillema, had $400 for a new tattoo, or I can get the intake....
Old 12-11-2006, 07:46 PM

AEM Workhorse

I have seen them for $269 for the 94-02 trucks, and $299 for the 03-05trucks with free shipping.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by drolex
BHAF isn't that good for performance because it is very restrictive.

Hows that possible, could you elaborate? The BHAF on my truck is roughly x4 the surface area of the stocker that was in there before. There was a k&n on mine when I bought it. the intake pipe was dirty behind it. it went straight into the trash.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:58 PM

I use K&N oil on my AFE all the time. Even put it back together wet. And have never had oil or dust on anything past the filter. And I mean nothing. Because I always check.

Question. How could a more free flowing drop in get sucked in when the stock filter, which is more restictive, stay in place?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Texan
So what filter is of good quality to put in truck?
i have an 05 and went with the AFE stage 2 with the pro guard 7. the afe may be a little more expensive, but from what i've seen and read about them they move the most air when your going to start playing with perfromance boxes (bully dog, TST, etc...) and the PG 7 does an awesome job in keeping dirt out. you still have to clean it now and then but i like it alot. i also noticed a drop of around 200 degrees in my EGT's while towing with the afe and MBRP muffler delete kit. i was told by more experienced people than me that K&N doesn't work well with diesels so i never even considered it. just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filters?