3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

K&N Air Filters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Air Filters?

I have heard K&N air filters are not good to use on diesel engine becaue of oil sprayed on filter. Is this true? What filters are you guys using? Please help!!!!!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Texan
I have heard K&N air filters are not good to use on diesel engine becaue of oil sprayed on filter. Is this true? What filters are you guys using? Please help!!!!!
partially....

AFE ProGuard 7 is my choice...and i love it!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by 973604x4
partially....
Whats this 'partially' for? Can you elaborate a little? I have been running a K&N for about a year now. Looking to go to a BHAF soon, but K&N will do for time being-
Old 12-06-2006, 10:03 PM

I've seen and heard crazy things that happen to aftermarket filters when they're put into the stock airbox. I've personally seen a Fram filter get partially sucked into the air tube and damaged the turbo. Warranty voided, of course. The only way an aftermarket filter is going on my truck is a full cold air intake system.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:06 PM

So what filter

So what filter is of good quality to put in truck?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Muted User

The filter on a 1st gen is about 8-10" OD and the outlet of the airbox is only about 4". I dont think there is any way it could get sucked through. Well I could think of one, just not on my truck.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NukleusX
Whats this 'partially' for? Can you elaborate a little? I have been running a K&N for about a year now. Looking to go to a BHAF soon, but K&N will do for time being-
Certainly.

The whole oiled filter thing isn't good...and its been noted that after some filter "recharges" that the K&N doesn't filter well. Look for dust and dirt on the intake tube. Whipe it with a cloth before and after running and K&N and see what you get.

Some oil isn't too bad....dust and oil is bad.

Sometimes at 25 pounds of boost or more, the turbo will suck the oil out of the filter. Search K&N filters and read responses....there are mixed reviews but K&N has the reputation of being one of the lesser "oiled" filters.

On diesels, its best to stick with a paper filter IMO....but i have an oiled AFE ProGuard 7 (because i wanted the stage II intake)....and i love it.

i have used K&N products before and feel that the argument is reasonable based on my observations.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Texan
So what filter is of good quality to put in truck?
Until you put a different intake system on a K&N is ok. I personally haven't seen enough difference in mileage or performance to make up for the cost. A good ol' factory Dodge filter will work just fine. Plus they can't get you for warranty issues.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by NukleusX
The filter on a 1st gen is about 8-10" OD and the outlet of the airbox is only about 4". I dont think there is any way it could get sucked through. Well I could think of one, just not on my truck.
I guess "sucked in" wasn't a good way to put it. It was "sucked down" and blocked it off.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Muted User

Thanks for the info 97360.

As I said before, I am planning on running a BHAF soon enough here, have not had any problems with the K&N yet. I am oddly running 25lbs boost stock on my non-ic first gen (I dont know how, or if the gauge is off, or what...)

Guess I should take some caution when I get injectors and a turbo upgrade. All in all by everything I have read I am not worried really though.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by t-boe
I guess "sucked in" wasn't a good way to put it. It was "sucked down" and blocked it off.
Are you speaking of on a 2nd gen? I could see such a thing happening there as thier stock filters are flat, right?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can tell you volants get crushed like a pop can with 55 PSI of boost!!
Old 12-06-2006, 11:04 PM

K&N Pretty much sucks. AFE is the best i love it
Old 12-07-2006, 12:37 AM

what do you base its suckiness on? ive had k&ns on my last two diesels, never had any problems, jsut clean it off every once in a while which consists of me wiping it down with a shop rag... my 99 had one on it for over 250,000 miles never saw anything in the tube that would make me think the filter wasnt doing its job, dad has always run em on his diesels and we run the xstreams on our drag trucks and cant complain( those thing are pretty darn cool!) now im not in now way hating on any othe brand filters, id love to have an afe setup but my money isnt aloowing me to by one right now( havnt given my monthly plasma doantions! haha) but for the guy who jsut wants a better than stock filter and cant throw down a couple hundred bucks on a intake and filter, i think k&n is the way to go....jsut my two cents
Old 12-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Muted User

Originally Posted by DinosDiesel
K&N Pretty much sucks. AFE is the best i love it
When you go and find me an aFe that works with my first gen, let me know. Until then look at what I am driving and see that my choices are limited a BHAF, K&N, and stock filter.

Must be a 2nd or 3rd genner goin and sayin that straight up

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filters?