3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Just dropped truck of at performance shop their exhaust recommendation surprised me!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just dropped truck of at performance shop their exhaust recommendation surprised me!

I decided to upgrade my exhaust on my California early year 2004. The performance shop recommended 4-inch turbo back and Cat delete. The shop that will remain un-named for obvious reasons indicated that my truck has the really small restrictive Cat instead of the high flow one. I told them I wanted to keep the Cat incase we start smoging here is CA. I went with the MagnaFlow exhaust system and high flow muffler + tip. The system was fairly pricy at about $950 installed but they say its a good system. I am hoping that the noise level won’t be too loud when towing.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:02 PM

i know where there is a system that you could have got from a site vendor for $300 and some change. It is aluminzed though, which if you don't have snow and salt like up north, then you don't really need stainless..
Old 05-29-2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by thxman
I decided to upgrade my exhaust on my California early year 2004. The performance shop recommended 4-inch turbo back and Cat delete. The shop that will remain un-named for obvious reasons indicated that my truck has the really small restrictive Cat instead of the high flow one. I told them I wanted to keep the Cat incase we start smoging here is CA. I went with the MagnaFlow exhaust system and high flow muffler + tip. The system was fairly pricy at about $950 installed but they say its a good system. I am hoping that the noise level won’t be too loud when towing.
That exhaust when towing is real real loud........
The Silverline system I got was the most quiet system and with a trailer is OK but compared to the Magnaflow system is like stock!!!
Old 05-29-2007, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by K5KRAZIE
That exhaust when towing is real real loud........
The Silverline system I got was the most quiet system and with a trailer is OK but compared to the Magnaflow system is like stock!!!
K5 - where are you located? I'm considering the Silverline from Randy's, but would love to hear one first.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:52 PM

That exhaust when towing is real real loud........[
Just returned from the shop, the Magna flow is very quiet when idling or just cruising on the freeway but put your foot down and holy cow patties talk about shock and awe! I don’t know if I’ll every get used to that low loud rumble but I can say I will be driving like a granny until I do if ever.
The truck does seem to cruise down the road a little better but that could just be placebo effect or justification for spending almost a grand on exhaust.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:30 PM

Ok heres my 2 cents worth I have a 06 and put a 30 inch magna-flow,well it had the worst drone I have ever herd and pulling my toy hauler it created so much noise pulling even the slightest hill and it hurt my ears also seemed like it created tension in the cab with the wife and kids also turning up the radio did nothing to the drone sound.this was the worst muffler for pulling any kind of load empty was pretty bad to.The answer for me was a 52 inch Donaldson thank to all the good imput from this forum no drone nice sound and free flowing= very happy customer.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I decided to upgrade my exhaust on my California early year 2004. The performance shop recommended 4-inch turbo back and Cat delete. The shop that will remain un-named for obvious reasons indicated that my truck has the really small restrictive Cat instead of the high flow one. I told them I wanted to keep the Cat incase we start smoging here is CA.
I TIG header collector flanges/gaskets onto the SS exhaust, mufflers and cats so conversion to & from "off-road" operation is a snap!

... makes emissions-testing time a breeze too
Old 05-29-2007, 10:29 PM

If you put a 4" system on and payed 950, you should probably feel like you just dropped the soap in prison. The stock system is already 4". A replacement muffler, tip, and labor should be like 200 at most!

I was told i could get a dual 5" MBRP system for less than a grand installed.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:06 AM

The stock system is already 4
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the early 2004 is 3-1/2-inch from the turbo to the cat. The exhaust system looks very nice but I will most likely replace the MagnaFlow if I can’t get used to it hauling my TH. I looked online at this exhaust kit and the cheapest I could find with the tip I wanted was about $625+ shipping and then I would need to find a shop to install it. I probably could have saved a few bucks but now I know where to take it if I ever have trouble.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:33 AM

QUOTE]The stock system is already 4
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the early 2004 is 3-1/2-inch from the turbo to the cat. The exhaust system looks very nice but I will most likely replace the MagnaFlow if I can’t get used to it hauling my TH. I looked online at this exhaust kit and the cheapest I could find with the tip I wanted was about $625+ shipping and then I would need to find a shop to install it. I probably could have saved a few bucks but now I know where to take it if I ever have trouble.[/QUOTE]

why change the whole system??? change just the muffler. Pipe is pipe, doesn't matter what pipe name brand you have (unless you live where corrosion is a problem) the thing that makes a difference in sound is the muffler. Give Rip Rook at Source Automotive a call for a replacemement muffler that is not obnoxious. It is called a Diamond Eye muffler, and it sounds great. http://www.sourceautomotive.biz/
Old 05-30-2007, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Early 04's didn't have cat I thought....only when the 600/610's came out did they add the cats.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:12 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Smkn600CTD
Early 04's didn't have cat I thought....only when the 600/610's came out did they add the cats.
I have an early 2004... engine/truck manufactured Oct. '03... it has a cat. But then again, it is CA emissions motor.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:16 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyGA
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the early 2004 is 3-1/2-inch from the turbo to the cat.
My early 2004, with cat, has 4" throughout. Although, the pipe from turbo to cat appears to neck down to about 3 1/2" right as it enters the cat.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:52 AM

My early 2004, with cat, has 4" throughout. Although, the pipe from turbo to cat appears to neck down to about 3 1/2" right as it enters the cat.
You are correct the down pipe from the turbo to the cat is 3-1/2 inches. Early 2004 CA emmision trucks have a cat.

Quick Reply: Just dropped truck of at performance shop their exhaust recommendation surprised me!