3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jake brake prices?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jake brake prices?

Hi all, I’m considering having the Jacobs exh brake installed on my new 3500. The local dealer quoted $1350.00 for the kit and 5 hrs labor @ $100/per for the install (around $1850 plus tax out the door). I called Cummins in Sacramento (closest one) and the parts guy quoted $1077.69 for the kit, and the shop guy had to look up the install time and get back to me (he hasn’t yet, I’ll call tomorrow).

What have others paid? I’ll be towing from #8-12K about 50% of the time, how do you Jake Brake owners rate the system?....worth the cost? I'm thinking of the safety factor, and less wear on the truck and trailer brakes......

Thanks
Old 06-11-2006, 09:33 PM

I had one installed on my new truck (3 weeks ago) and was quoted $1325 for the brake and $400 (4 hours) for the install. Both dealers in town quoted the same price and the labor is out of the Dodge book.

Personal opinion is that it is worth the bucks if you tow.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:58 PM

i just got a quote from cummins up here in canada for my 03 and they quoted me 899 canadian. i can get it even cheaper from a friend who works for international. i can see what i can get u one for it ya want.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I think I gave like $1100 for mine from the dealer, who said it was below retail since I just bought the truck.

If you are at all mechanically inclined, the install is pretty straight forward with normal hand tools.

If you go over to jakebrake.com you can download the installation instructions as a PDF with photos and everything, and you can decide if you want to do it yourself...
Old 06-12-2006, 04:55 AM

I got it from my dealer for 1100.00,was going to do it myself(did my 03)but right now I have no time to do install.At that price for the brake and 4 hours labor I will have them do it. if my truck ever gets here
Old 06-12-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the Jake installed when the truck arrived at the dealer (~$1700)

Well worth the money!

Faster warm ups...If you turn on the jake when idling in the driveway, it will close the butterfly & turn the motor into a compressor to give it a load...The EGTS actually get up to 500-600F at idle (~750)!

City Braking...Leave it on all the time....Anticipate stops; I only hit the brakes when the jake disengages at 20MPH.

Freeway...I don't advocate this....Speed & not use the service brakes to come back to the posted limit without a "brake light" alert to the cops!

Loaded...The cruise control will engage the jake to keep your speed setpoint when going downhill. I have expereinced this even while towing my 3000lb boat! Yes, you can downshift to make more use of the jake. Higher RPM = more brake effort!

Sound...In the cab it sounds like a real jake throttling back! Outside, it sounds like a huge air leak. In the end, it's all about MY entertainment, right!?!?

Can't say it enough....WELL WORTH THE MONEY!

HTH

Tony
Old 06-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by packard8
Hi all, I’m considering having the Jacobs exh brake installed on my new 3500. The local dealer quoted $1350.00 for the kit and 5 hrs labor @ $100/per for the install (around $1850 plus tax out the door). I called Cummins in Sacramento (closest one) and the parts guy quoted $1077.69 for the kit, and the shop guy had to look up the install time and get back to me (he hasn’t yet, I’ll call tomorrow).

What have others paid? I’ll be towing from #8-12K about 50% of the time, how do you Jake Brake owners rate the system?....worth the cost? I'm thinking of the safety factor, and less wear on the truck and trailer brakes......

Thanks
Take a look at the PRXB that PacBrake manufactures, The New Brake has a Auxiliary Tank for instant Brake application and adapters,hose to Fill tires,Pac support and service one of the Best in the aftermarket world.It is 10/12% Better Braking than the Jake,Jake has factory authorization but that"s about it.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
That is one thing that I don't understand about the Jake setup...

The big, belt driven vacuum pump seems like overkill to close the little butterfly valve.

I'm not sure why they didn't use an electric solenoid (since they have a solenoid valve anyway), but if they wanted it pneumatically activated, why didn't they use air pressure instead of vacuum?

At least then the pump could provide compressed air that would be handy for a bunch of other stuff...
Old 06-12-2006, 06:16 PM

Sounds reasonable

I think mine was $1285 or so. I installed it myself. I understand that the price from Cummins is less. It comes in a Cummins box. If you install it yourself, be very careful with the gasket, I damaged mine and had to get a new one. They are $33 each. The instructions give you the wrong part number for the front clamp. It is the smaller one, the larger one goes on the rear of the brake. It took me all day, then had to do part of it over on the gasket re-install. But I am very cautious and read and re-read instructions. I could probably do it in a lot less time if I had another one to install.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've often wondered why they chose vacuum, too!

Regarding the size of the pump, they need need volume to make sure the jake closes quickly, on demand.

I've had thoughts of changing the jake over to pneumatic. In some parts books, I've seen the bill of materials. It wouldn't take too much. However, I'm more interested in the warranty & overall reliability of the vehicle, so I probablt won't change it!

Tony
Old 06-13-2006, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. I too wonder why not use compressed air rather than vacuum?...Perhaps because many MD trucks with the Cummins B use vacuum over hydraulic brakes on the trucks and on some trailers?

I’m sure that PacBrake and others make good units too, but I think I’ll stay with Jacobs mainly for the warranty issues……some MFG’s and dealers will look for any excuse to deny a claim.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:15 PM

Just picked up mine from cummins for 651.24 plus tax for my 03 3500. If you have the part number you need, let me know what it is.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:34 PM
DMH

Originally Posted by TonyB
City Braking...Leave it on all the time....Anticipate stops; I only hit the brakes when the jake disengages at 20MPH.
HTH

Tony
Question......How does your Jake Brake disengage at 20MPH? Mine doesn't shut off until the truck comes to a complete stop, and only when the water temps are up to operating temp.

Even the real Jake Brake on the big rig I drive will operate well below 20MPH. In fact, it is programed to shut off at 1000RPMs, regardless of truck speed.

DMH
Old 06-17-2006, 02:01 AM
Banned

I am giving right around $1300 installed from the dealer for my Jake. That includes the E' brake and installation.

I think one of the reasons Jacobs/Dodge went with the vacume set-up is it might be more of a fail safe set-up in case it fails. If the suk goes away, the valve will open. If the blo goes away, sure it will go back open but suk goes away faster than blo.

But then again, I might not really know what I am talking about.