3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Irritated

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Irritated

Okay I have changed vp44 and lift pump on my 2002 ram 2500 5 speed because it was having dead pedal issues from time to time, got only about 6 months of it running like it suppose to and now started doing the same thing but seems to be more often then before. While I am driving I can switch key of and then back on it will take of like it shot out of a gun! Irritated with it is understatement.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:21 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Have you considered that the TPS could be the problem?
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (11-21-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 02:32 PM

Received 2,401 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Have you checked for any codes?
Or are you just chucking parts at it?

If I am just going to throw parts randomly at a problem, I never start with the MOST expensive part first.
nonrev (11-21-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
That was gonna be my next part to change but wondering if I am still gonna have to replace vp44 and lift pump again.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:55 AM

Received 341 Likes on 240 Posts
My understanding of the vp44 is it either works or it doesn't so I would assume that would not be the problem Member KATOOM wrote::There is many years of accumulated misguiding info out there but if you search long enough you'll find that the best fuel pressure for the VP is no less than 14-16 at WOT. Whatever it takes to achieve this psi from the idle to WOT pressure drop is what the idle psi needs to be. Most aftermarket fuel pumps equipped with aftermarket fuel lines will result in around a 3-5 psi drop from idle to WOT. Stock lines and less than adequate fuel pumps will have a larger pressure drop. Pressure over 20(ish) isnt a problem but isnt necessary unless you cant keep the WOT pressures at 14-16.
That said it sounds to me like an intermittent electrical problem
Old 11-22-2021, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by nonrev
My understanding of the vp44 is it either works or it doesn't so I would assume that would not be the problem Member KATOOM wrote::There is many years of accumulated misguiding info out there but if you search long enough you'll find that the best fuel pressure for the VP is no less than 14-16 at WOT. Whatever it takes to achieve this psi from the idle to WOT pressure drop is what the idle psi needs to be. Most aftermarket fuel pumps equipped with aftermarket fuel lines will result in around a 3-5 psi drop from idle to WOT. Stock lines and less than adequate fuel pumps will have a larger pressure drop. Pressure over 20(ish) isnt a problem but isnt necessary unless you cant keep the WOT pressures at 14-16.
That said it sounds to me like an intermittent electrical problem
That's kinda what I been thinking but not sure where to start to find the problem lol. Thank yall for the info all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:45 PM

On a rig that new...I would check to see if it is throwing some codes.
nonrev (11-23-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
okay changedchanged the tps didn't fix it!!!
Old 12-04-2021, 04:31 PM

Codes

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Have you checked for any codes?
Or are you just chucking parts at it?

If I am just going to throw parts randomly at a problem, I never start with the MOST expensive part first.
p 1693
P0216
? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:51 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Go to Blue Chip like suggested in here: Code P0216 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums
Old 12-29-2021, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by James M Goodwin
p 1693
P0216
? Thanks in advance for any help.
ok I went to blue chip done some of the check list no where near all of it, I ordered the pressure light that connects to main supply line on injector pump it says if light come while accelerating to changed fuel filter done that light still comes on under load says to check lift pump next what do I check or maybe how do I check it? Thanks for any help.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:22 AM

I am assuming that light comes on when there is very little to almost no fuel pressure. If replacing the fuel filter is not improving the fuel flow enough. Your LP is not moving enough fuel.

Do you have a programmer of any sort on your truck?
Old 12-30-2021, 06:59 PM

I am assuming that light comes on when there is very little to almost no fuel pressure. If replacing the fuel filter is not improving the fuel flow enough. Your LP is not moving enough fuel.

Do you have a programmer of any sort on your truck?
no sir everything is stock.
Old 12-31-2021, 07:31 AM

I know the stock LP can not keep up many programmers. My old '01 could pull the fuel pressure down to close to 0 PSI with even a short [1 or 2 seconds] WOT throttle blast.
After the first test drive when I discovered that I did not use the programmer till my after market Airdog LP was installed. After that I couldn't pull it under 20 PSI ever at WOT unless the filter was getting dirt and flowing less.

If you are not getting enough fuel PSI with a stock motor, I am guessing you have a partially clogged or blocked fuel line issue, or your stock LP is weak.
nothingbutdarts (12-31-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 08:48 PM

I know the stock LP can not keep up many programmers. My old '01 could pull the fuel pressure down to close to 0 PSI with even a short [1 or 2 seconds] WOT throttle blast.
After the first test drive when I discovered that I did not use the programmer till my after market Airdog LP was installed. After that I couldn't pull it under 20 PSI ever at WOT unless the filter was getting dirt and flowing less.

If you are not getting enough fuel PSI with a stock motor, I am guessing you have a partially clogged or blocked fuel line issue, or your stock LP is weak.
I'm sorry for saying all stock meant nothing extra to boost power, however I changed the vp 44 and lift pump last December ran perfect for about six months and started same stuff again I am just about ready to light a match lol.

Quick Reply: Irritated