3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interesting note about Smarty and "undetecability"

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marco

Good news is, the DC tools do not display FF if the code(s) have been cleared.

Marco
Okay so that is good news. So if there is no code present then the tech won't even bother to pull freeze-frame data? I guess barring any kind of major failure they probably wouldn't dig into it anyways... However... Major failure I would think they would investigate a little further.

Does anybody know how to clear the freeze frame data without disconnecting the batteries?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:58 AM

So if there is no code present then the tech won't even bother to pull freeze-frame data?
Nope, not bother... He can't pull freeze frames with DC tools if there's no code present. In other words, once a code has been cleared the DC tools do not display the freeze frames. Shhhhh.....

Marco
Old 12-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Banned

This is probably a stupid question but does Chrysler Corp. have more advanced computers than the dealer to scan codes or figure out if a truck has been modified?
Old 12-12-2006, 11:06 AM

Ever think the code was there on the stock software first? Hmmmmm.

BTW.... GOOOOOOOOOO SMARTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God I love it!
Old 12-12-2006, 11:43 AM

cquestad,

Just out of curiosity, Have you ever had the crazy larry on your truck?
Old 12-12-2006, 12:05 PM

I can't...it is an 04 HO. I have tried the regular Tow through Extreme BDDL.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
I can't...it is an 04 HO. I have tried the regular Tow through Extreme BDDL.
Me too!

I got a P0602 code last time I loaded #9. The FF and the code should be gone now because I had the batteries disconnected to install headlight bulbs.

I love my Smarty.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:16 PM

well if the freeze frame is shot during a stock/normal programmed ecm... the variables it stored would be that of normal driving conditions. so DC would have no way to prove it had operated outside of normal driving parameters. but, if they get smart and come into the aftermarket forums, they would know that the smarty can set the p0602 code even when returned back to stock.... am i just being paranoid?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your not... I am sure that word will spread very quickly about this code and it will be red flagged. Or am I being paranoid too?

I don't have a Smarty yet but have been waiting to see how they worked for a while before I got one for reasons just like this.

I am sure Marco will be able to take care of it but I would like to see the bugs worked out first and to me this is a roach...
Old 12-12-2006, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every programmer out there, to include the Superchips, Predator, BullyDog, Smarty, etc., can all set that code when using them. I have seen them do it on many trucks. What is a mystery is why they don't do it every time. Sometimes I get it on my rig when returning to stock and sometimes I don't. Either way, that code is synonymous with programmers and will definitely peek a dealer's interest. It is kind of like a 2nd Gen truck coming into the dealer with an engine problem, the first thing they are going to look for is a tapped pump wire…..busted. When they see that code on a 3rd Gen, they know what's up. Programmers have been around for several years now, and the dealers' learning curve is not that wide. Whether they can get sufficient data to back it up and prove it is a different story, but don’t think your fooling them. Food for thought.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:52 PM

i think im just gonna have to hang the smarty up for the time being. my warranty is most important, i will have stick to exhaust and intake for now.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Banned

so you are concerned with the drivetrain warranty since your suspension and steering warranty are void right? not flaming you, dont get upset please.

with any product there are bound to be glitches or irregularities. One truck that is acting slightly different that the others that have a product installed is not justification to bail. so folks bomb their trucks, mildly or wildly, some have great luck with never a problem, and some only have problems with no success.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
so you are concerned with the drivetrain warranty since your suspension and steering warranty are void right? not flaming you, dont get upset please.

with any product there are bound to be glitches or irregularities. One truck that is acting slightly different that the others that have a product installed is not justification to bail. so folks bomb their trucks, mildly or wildly, some have great luck with never a problem, and some only have problems with no success.
Obviously he isn't worried about the suspension or steering warranty because parts are CHEAP compared to the drivetrain issues like engine, tranny etc....

I do agree that ALL products have glitches... Sometimes the manufacturer of a product just doesn't want to accept that. Which isn't a suprise to anyone.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Banned

i agree with user name, if you are worried about the warranty, leave it completely stock. then you have no worries.

i also agree with marco. sometimes, things just dont go right. how many smarties, quads, juices, etc have been sold? how many problems have there been? probably less than 1%.

I will take my chances bombing my rig with intelligent choices, and if i break it, i pay for it.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ronc
This is probably a stupid question but does Chrysler Corp. have more advanced computers than the dealer to scan codes or figure out if a truck has been modified?
I can almost guarantee you that they do...the problem is that it is only usually used for extreme cases. It usually involves an engineering team coming out to the dealership or the ECM being sent off to the engineering department. There are many things recorded that is very in depth. I don't work for Dodge but I do work for Honda and I have seen this happen first hand for warranty denial on a blown engine that the customer cleared DTC's for. Turns out that all data was recovered form the ECM by the engineering team during the incident. Mental note don't downshift from 6th to 2nd at 65MPH and expect the engine to not seize at 14,500rpm (rod through the side of the block). The engineers were able to recreate the entire event prior to the grenading and then voided his warranty. Afterwards he admitted to it and said he was trying to speed shift from 6th to 4th but accidently hit 2nd... Bad thing was it only had 300km (180 miles) on it at the time!

Just because the star scan dealer only tool can't see the info doesn't mean that more elaborate tools used by the engineering department can't!

Quick Reply: Interesting note about Smarty and "undetecability"