3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Intake=Whistling Turbo??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have ran the stock, a k&n, and now the afe,, and the afe is definately the loudest by a large margin. I thought the k&n was loud til i put in the afe. And with the bigger turbo it actually is so loud that it becomes really annoying. But at some point I will put a bunch of noise deading in and hopefully fix that situation to a point

Kevin
Old 12-10-2006, 10:07 PM

not trying to hijack, but was wondering if there are any guys that have used the scotty and have changed to the afe or the pro guard, or vice versa. ive heard that the pro guard is pretty loud. i dont mind the turbo sound. can anyone give any input to which is louder?
jimmy
Old 12-10-2006, 10:18 PM

I've got the S&B, it was cheap, it supposedly has great filtration, and it did make my turbo a lot louder! Especially since I took the turbo silencer out it's got a nice high pitched hiss and whooshing sound too! That and the MEK it sounds kind of like the F-18's flying around all day! I believe if you search the S&B intake you'll find that many others believe this is one of the loudest intakes. The AFE is $$$, and the scotty looks kinda cheap. (those who have the scotty no offense, I've never seen one in person so I really can't say that for sure)
Old 12-11-2006, 03:18 AM

the AEM in my 3rd gen is twice as loud ithan my afe in the 2nd gen, but we are talking different tubos in this situation!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:22 AM

I run the AFE Stage II and the ATS manifold, and the turbo sounds like a 3406 Cat coming down the highway. Its loud, but not obnoxious loud.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:30 AM

Thanks again guys
Old 12-11-2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by CDoskocil9
What Intake will produce the most turbo noise????? I had a diesel power magazine with a test on this but lost it.......
Thanks for any help
Do you have any idea what turbo noise will do to your hearing? For your own health, look into it. I mean, does the noise make the truck faster or pull harder anyway? Last time I checked, being deaf isn't cool, and it's permanent unlike your desire for superficial cool points via a noise box.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cowboy 6
Do you have any idea what turbo noise will do to your hearing? For your own health, look into it. I mean, does the noise make the truck faster or pull harder anyway? Last time I checked, being deaf isn't cool, and it's permanent unlike your desire for superficial cool points via a noise box.
Real good point Cowboy! Back when I was a kid with a first car we opted for a glass pack muffler to suggest we had a modified setup under the hood instead of the six cylinder poker that was really there. That's sort of what all these little cars with those BIG stupid mufflers are trying to pull off. Noise for the sake of being noisy is....well... kids stuff. The real performance mods that happens to also yield a changing sound profile is the real stuff of Hot Rodding....IMHO.

Bob
Old 12-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Banned

AFE Stage II works for me. I second the "jet engine" sound that comes from my Phat Shaft. I love it.

JWB
Old 12-11-2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cowboy 6
it isnt that loud!....i imagine a stock exhaust would do more damage! it doesnt matter with me tho, my ears are already gone thanks to my stereos in my last three trucks!......i love the bump!
Old 12-11-2006, 05:20 PM

i wouldn't get a S&B intake b4wheeler on here had one and he switched to a BHAF and we whipped the oil from the filter out of the turbo. and his is only a 2000 i'm sure the newer turbos pull even more air which means pulling the oil out of the filter even faster.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:23 PM

I dont think that turbo noise from an Intake will make you deaf........But I've been wrong................
Old 12-11-2006, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also highly doubt turbo noise will affect hearing more than anything else your ears are exposed to on a daily basis. Its not like the compressor wheel is singing from the speaker in the door panel. My guess is the straight pipe exhaust will make me deaf long before the turbo whistle.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:40 PM

skynard, sounds like b4wheeler over-oiled it. I overoiled my K&n on my old gasser and it did the same thing. Now I'm just careful about how much oil I spray on and no problems. I sometimes take off the filter and wipe a paper towel inside the tube just to check for oil, and it comes out clean every time since! I think I'm going to buy a AEM dry filter element and replace the S&B filter. I like the S&B tube and airbox though, fits great and looks nice too!
Old 12-11-2006, 08:10 PM

i have the afe stage 2 pro guard 7. it is loud, but i drive truck, so the noise my turbo makes now with the intake is around the amount you get from a big rig turbo. or maybe i'm just used to it, but the afe stg 2 will get it done for ya.

Quick Reply: Intake=Whistling Turbo??????