3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Injector problem 05 CTD

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector problem 05 CTD

Has anyone had the following???

when cranking engine after sitting overnight, I get blue/white smoke and engine miss. Like it is flooded.

This clears up and engine runs fine and has power ---plenty of power.

I notice at times when sitting at idle and in gear a missing sound - but no smoke and runs good under throttle.

I think i have a bad injector that leaks fuel when shut off

I have been running the bully dog dnloader at 90 hp and the TST at 3/3. Truck has 5800 miles on it.

When I set it back to stock settings on the bullydog and remove the TST I still get this condition.

Any Clue? If its an injector How would I know which one is bad?

Thanks
Old 09-06-2005, 10:50 PM

If you want to do this yourself , and not use the dealer , just take off the exhaust manifold off , leave the turbo there and support it , fire it up and you will see which exh. port is smoking.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
If you want to do this yourself , and not use the dealer , just take off the exhaust manifold off , leave the turbo there and support it , fire it up and you will see which exh. port is smoking.
No need to start it, you should be able to tell by the condition of the port.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:57 AM

My 05 has picked up the same condition which started around 4k, truck currently is at 6700. After hooking up a good heavy load and pulling it around just for a few short miles the mis-fire and smoke will disappear for a couple weeks and then come back. But yet after each time I tow heavy the problem disappears.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by coalbucket
My 05 has picked up the same condition which started around 4k, truck currently is at 6700. After hooking up a good heavy load and pulling it around just for a few short miles the mis-fire and smoke will disappear for a couple weeks and then come back. But yet after each time I tow heavy the problem disappears.
Yep as you are rising the egt's and burning off carbon on injectors as mine did same thing and put my chip up high and got on her hard got egt up hot and left it there for a bit and my problem was gone and everytime I feel it starting I do it again. Drive like grammy and injectors will carbon over. Now I have stage three injectors I guess holes are big enough they don't carbon over to easy. OppS got to go and burn those injector off now!

I thought I had bad injectors too there just fine!
Old 09-07-2005, 08:36 PM

i have the same problem and would really like to know if it is normal and not an injector... my new block has 1000 miles on it. the smoke and miss clears up within 10 seconds so i usually forget about it, but your post reminded me of it.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:43 PM

In response to PCBURNOUT, I drive my truck hard with bddl on 90 hp setting and TST on 3/3 and 4/4. I think one injector is just going out. It went to missing today so bad I parked it. I wonder can I get heavier duty fuel injectors for the 05? I do not know who manufactures these stock injectors.

I am starting to wonder is the bully dog downloader keeping to much fuel pressure on these at lower rpms. I was told that the bddl increases fuel pressure and from what I hear keeping the fuel pressure up all of the time shortens the life of the injectors. Not sure Just what I hear ! anyway 5,000 miles later Ive got a bad injector.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:57 AM

Take off the valve cover and check the wires on the tops of your injectors. Mine were over-torqued from the factory and eventually stripped and the wires, causing two injectors to miss terribly. The dealer knows of the problem and replaced them.