3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

If you were gonna run one single on the street...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you were gonna run one single on the street...

what would you choose?

I want good manners, a decent off idle and mid range and LOTSA power... and lower egt's...

One turbo... come on guys. Hit me with your best shot
Old 07-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya throwin any big sticks at it to light that turbo up or keeping them stock?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:22 PM

an htb2 is a great turbo for all of that. only downfall is you can grow out of that turbo however it could be used in a twin setup as a top turbo
Old 07-26-2006, 08:49 PM

Not looking at sticks right now. I think there's some guys making really good numbers with the stock 05's.
I really want over 600hp. This is a daily driver, my only vehicle. If I don't like the way she drives, I'm gonna be...
Just trying to make the best educated decision.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Banned

Wow you're asking for alot. A 600hp daily driver with stock sticks and a single turbo that provides deasent off idle and low egt's.

Why dont you settle for 450-525hp.

In order to have a 600hp with a single you're gonna need the biggest and baddest single you can get your hands on. Call Industrial Injection and they will probably reccomend the silver bullet.

Heck ask around and find out what kind of $$$ it takes to have a 600hp daily driver, you may be shocked to see that it will cost over $10,000. Ask your self if you need all of that.

$5,000+ tranny that can handle the abuse of 600hp
$2,500-$4,000 on Big Single or Twins
$1,500 for head work, o-ring, arp studs
$1,300+ on electronics
$$$$ installation, ect, ect

And that just a recipe for 500hp if you want 600hp plan on
$1,300 injectors
$2,000+ for fuel deliervy, I dont know what a cp3 mod costs
$1,500 for billet tranny parts.
+ lots more odd and ends and installation

so your over $15,000 on top of your new rig, and plan on paying for every repair because your waranty will be VOIDED. Plan on breaking stuff because that what happens when you double the HP in a new truck.

Yes there are people out there that do it but dont get carried away just from reading thing here on DTR.

Dont expect your truck at the 600hp level to act, drive or behave like your stock truck now. It will be a completely different animal, so different you will be looking for another more dosile and friendly ride for everyday put put.

If you have the $$$$ by all means do it, but when your goal is 600hp you HAVE to do things the RIGHT way.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigDan
Wow you're asking for alot. A 600hp daily driver with stock sticks and a single turbo that provides deasent off idle and low egt's.

Why dont you settle for 450-525hp.

In order to have a 600hp with a single you're gonna need the biggest and baddest single you can get your hands on. Call Industrial Injection and they will probably reccomend the silver bullet.

Heck ask around and find out what kind of $$$ it takes to have a 600hp daily driver, you may be shocked to see that it will cost over $10,000. Ask your self if you need all of that.

$5,000+ tranny that can handle the abuse of 600hp
$2,500-$4,000 on Big Single or Twins
$1,500 for head work, o-ring, arp studs
$1,300+ on electronics
$$$$ installation, ect, ect
I totally agree, its going to be very difficult to get everything you want without breaking the bank. I usually just find others that are running the power that i want and find out what their set ups are, and finding out how they like it.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:51 PM

Talking

The best all around single turbo IMHO is Industrial Injections SPS-62/14. Great spool, towing , and daily driver. The best for ultimate performance, with injectors, large fueling box etc. is Industrial Injections "silver Bullet". The silver bullet performance shines over the SPS-62/14 at the top end 70 mph +. downside is not recommended for heavy towing, and a little more turbo lag. The silver bullet loves lot's of fuel and air. I've tried them all except for twins, and currently running the silver bullet. The SPS-62/14 without injectors, and decent fueling box, you will not achieve more then 450-500 HP. To get over 500+ hp you will need injectors. 600+ hp, injectors, the silver Bullet, large fueling box, fass pump/or other, stock cp3, modifed trans., air intake, exhaust etc. 650+ hp, Industrial Injections modified cp3, head studs, in addition to the previous list. 700 + hp, nos, water injection. 850 + hp, possibly big twins and all the rest?

I personally don't believe in twins, unless you are going to do a lot of heavy towing all the time, or sled pulling.

The above HP ranges will vary a little depending on your fueling boxes, injector size, trans set-up, altitude, etc. This set-up will be primarly for drag racing, road rage, and daily driver.

I know because I'm there....
Old 07-27-2006, 12:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by trik396
2005 BigHorn2500/ CTD/ 4x4/ quad/ gray metallic
Diablosport Predator stacked with Quad's XZT
48re w/ Goerend conv/billet flex/billet input/mod VB

Custom console w/ Autometer Ultralites
AEM Bruteforce intake
Walbro w/ triple fuel filtration
Oilguard and Motorguard oil bypass setup

3 people can keep a secret if 2 of them are dead
I think he's got the trans to hold it.

Personally, I love my old school KSB-1. It's great for 400-450hp and it spools fast. I'm talking almost as fast as my little HY did. But if your going for 600hp on a single your going to need something big and big turbos come with lag and some of them surge pretty bad while towing.

HeberRam, why don't you believe in twins unless you tow heavy? I've seen it time and time again that twins give you lower egt's, faster spool up, and more power when upgrading from a single. Is it because of cost?
Old 07-27-2006, 03:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I think he's got the trans to hold it.

Personally, I love my old school KSB-1. It's great for 400-450hp and it spools fast. I'm talking almost as fast as my little HY did. But if your going for 600hp on a single your going to need something big and big turbos come with lag and some of them surge pretty bad while towing.

HeberRam, why don't you believe in twins unless you tow heavy? I've seen it time and time again that twins give you lower egt's, faster spool up, and more power when upgrading from a single. Is it because of cost?
Doesnt sound like a real rebuild, kinda like TC, VB and input patched on a stock trans.......which is fine for under 500hp but not 600hp.....

Of course I could be wrong.

Lots of "STUFF" happens between 500-600hp
Old 07-27-2006, 03:37 AM

I like my HTB2 62/12 but it may be a bit small for your expectations. Maybe a 64/14 would be better suited to your needs but you are gonna have some lag there. High Tech turbos are nicely priced compared to most of the others too.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:12 AM
wap

Look at Luken's sig on here, he made over 650 with stock sticks and cp3.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:02 AM

DO you have the tranny built up yet? I just purchased a Silver bullet, havent even received it yet. SHould be here tomorrow. It is supposed to be the baddest turbo available. I will let you know
Old 07-27-2006, 07:04 AM

My trans is built. All Raybestos Blue clutches and kolene steels and about a dozen other things I don't really understand. I know... I shoulda got the billet intermediate and output.... Didn't have the funds at the time.
Anyhow, between reading all this and the pm's I've recieved, you guys have brought me back to reality. I guess I can't have it the way I want. I'm just really worried about fraggin' my stock turbo pushing it beyond what it's meant to do. Then I read about RCCOX and how his entire motor bit the dust because of some turbo chunks choking his oil pump. What's a guy to do?
Guess I should reconsider my plans. Maybe twins... Maybe nothing.
Who knows... I sure don't...
Old 07-27-2006, 07:23 AM

There are guys reaching the 600 mark safely but if you plan on launching under any kinda pressure your gonna need the billet internals. Talk to TIMINVA he just laid down around 620 hp with his 06 on a silver bullet, cp3, mitusa fuel, bullydog and tst. Pretty simple cut and dry with solid power
Old 07-27-2006, 08:42 AM

Thumbs up

Big Blue, I think you answered your'e own question below. Towing heavy, twins do work better for the reasons you mentioned, faster spool up, lower egt's is what you want. Same reasons for sled pulling. To dial in twins, to provide the power between 550-650 hp is costly. Very few people have done it sucessfully on a 3rd. gen truck. It gets complicated as you have another turbo to dial in, external wastgate issues, plumbing etc. You really can't have a truck to do all things you want, ie. truck pull, drag race, sled pull, daily driver if you want to be competitive. You need to set-up your truck to what you want to do.

HeberRam, why don't you believe in twins unless you tow heavy? I've seen it time and time again that twins give you lower egt's, faster spool up, and more power when upgrading from a single. Is it because of cost?[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: If you were gonna run one single on the street...