3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ideas for an Aftermarket Stereo and Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 02:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ideas for an Aftermarket Stereo and Speakers

I have it in my head that Santa (me) is going to bring ME a new IPOD for Christmas. Im probably going to get one of those 30gig ones from Walmart.

Anyway, I have been also considering upgrading my factory stereo and speakers with something else. I don't need the most expensive "system" money can buy. I just want something relatively inexpensive (if there is such a thing) that sounds awesome at a normal volume.

I saw where CarToys had a Kenwood stereo/CD player that is MP3/IPOD and Satellite ready (I already have a XM roady fm modulated receiver) for like $130.00. And for about the same price I could buy 4 Infinity speakers.

Basically, I want to upgrade without spending a fortune and be able to conveniently hook up my new IPOD to it when Santa brings it to me in a few days.

Any and all ideas are welcome! Thanks.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I highly recommend an Alpine headunit. I've been running one for years now and I love it. MP3/IPOD/XM/Sirius ready and they sound real nice and look nice. I recommend going to crutchfield.com and looking around there. They've usually got some really good prices on stuff. As far as speakers go, I highly recommend a set of components in the front and a set of 2 ways in the rear with an amp powering them all. It won't cost you a bloody fortune and you'll have a very sweet sounding setup. I just hope you don't have the factory infinity system cause that's gonna be a nightmare to work around.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:53 AM

T, I don't have the factory infinity system. Just whatever comes with the SLT.

I don't know anything about stereos. I have heard Alpine is good. Won't the stereo have an "amp" built into it? I don't need to wake the dead...I just want good quality sound at a reasonable price...with the convenience of hooking up the IPOD.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:58 AM
Banned

If you don't have the infinity system then we can hook it up at charlie's.

The headunit's do come with an amp but they are very small. Maybe 50w split between 4 channels. It will drive the speakers but you won't get the full benefit of a new set of aftermarket speakers. A decent 500w 4ch amp will really help drive a decent set of speakers and make them work to the best of their ability. When it comes to speakers it's better to have to much amp than to little. With to little of an amp you are turning the volume up to high and asking to much from it and it will start to distort and sound bad. With to much amp you can turn the power on the amp down and turn the volume up louder and it won't distort and sound bad cause you aren't straining the amp. Make sense?
Old 12-11-2006, 03:18 AM

Thanks T. Yes it makes perfect sense. I may go ahead and get something and let you help me install it soon at a meet.

I am just trying to find the right unit to accomplish what I want without spending a bundle. I have to save my money to buy some other mods that are going to one day spank you on the dyno.

Seriously, do you have a particular Alpine model in mind? and Amp? Speakers?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:40 AM

How much are you wanting to spend? I just got done with mine. How do i post pics. on here??
Old 12-11-2006, 09:53 AM

Alpine 9855 cd/mp3/ipod and xm/sirus ready
Old 12-11-2006, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marc03

Alpine 9855 cd/mp3/ipod and xm/sirus ready
So does the Ipod go in the glove box??
where and how do you hook the Ipod up at?
one more , does it charge your Ipod also??
Old 12-11-2006, 11:14 AM

Ditto on the Alpine unit suggestion. They have the fastest and most intuitive IPod controls of any other brand. The others simply jam the IPod controls into the same controls as the CD changer...navigating through 30Gigs of songs using the same controls as the CD changer is not very easy. I have the IVA-W200 (the one with the double size touchscreen) which is probably more than what you're looking for, but if you also want a backup camera, I would suggest this unit.

I can't speak for the unit in the picture, but to add IPod controls to my Alpine unit, I had to purchase an additional module ($45). The cord that connects to the Ipod can be put anywhere. I had them put it in one of the in dash pockets (the one under the heating and air controls). That way, I can have access to my IPod when I want to take it out, and can shove it all the way in the back to hide it.

Last edited by gsegelk; 12-11-2006 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Added to response
Old 12-11-2006, 01:06 PM

I also vote for Alpine. I just upgraded the stock speakers and added a sub under the rear seat powerd by a 350 watt amp and am real happy with it so far. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:42 PM

i have one of the alpines in the bmw. it connects directly to the IPOD. The one thing i dont like about it is the track selection is a bit tough to do. I just unplug the IPOD and select the songs and then plug it back in. Sounds great though.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...model=CDA-9856

JL Audio apms are great. a 300/4 and the alpine should keep you sub 1000.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=402 or http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=254

as for speakers, those are such a personal choice. listen to a bunch and then decide whay you like and are willing to pay. Many Many options.

Did I go to far? OK i just hit the 1500 mark, prob out of your original $$ goal. This is why my stereo is stock.

Oh wait. you will need cables, power and speakers. add a nother couple hundred. Some places will throw them in.

OK, now I know I went to far.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:51 PM

I have an Eclipse I got for a decent price and it had an aux (headphone style) input jack on the back of the unit. I just ran a wire that pugs into anything that has a headphone jack. As for speakers, if you are going to replace all four buy some 3 1/2" to put in your dash where the factory infinity system speakers would go and wire them into the deck directly. I personally think they make a huge difference. I had an Alpine prior to the eclipse and I was very pleased with it.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Banned

I'm running the 9856 from alpine. You can take a look at it at the next meet if you want. Oh, and you better hurry up in the performance. I'm starting to catch Rj.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...model=CDA-9856

Hope that link doesn't break any rules.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
So does the Ipod go in the glove box??
where and how do you hook the Ipod up at?
one more , does it charge your Ipod also??
My Ipod is in the glovebox, but you could put it wherever
Theres a cable that goes from the back of your stereo to the bottom of the ipod
It does charge the ipod
Old 12-11-2006, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marc03
My Ipod is in the glovebox, but you could put it wherever
Theres a cable that goes from the back of your stereo to the bottom of the ipod
It does charge the ipod

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: Ideas for an Aftermarket Stereo and Speakers