3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I have a BIG problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a BIG problem!!

Last tuesday my truck started acting real stupid, like it was running on about 3 or 4 cylnders, so i took it to my dealer. I called them today to see what was up with it, my map sensor and my FRP sensor is bad. They go on to tell me my wiring harness from my ecm to my injectors is bad, $1800 to replace. They said that was the reason for cylinders 1,2 and 3 not firing. What exactly do i need to do get this fixed. Take the harness off and fix myself or just get nasty with the dealer??? The part is not covered on the 100,000 mile engine warrenty, but its only gat 43k on it.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:39 PM

Sounds like they found some mods and denied your warranty if they are quoteing you a price. Find out why they are not covering it under warranty.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:17 PM

It may be covered under "emissions," which is 100 000 miles also.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:52 PM

I would be skeptical. the only way a wiring harness can go bad is if it was chaffing on something??

I would also highly doubt both the FRP and the MAP sensor were bad unless it was a wiring problem but, then I would have to think whatever caused the short would short everything on that 5v circuit which is a bunch of stuff.

I think they are yanking your chain to an extent.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:39 AM
Banned

time for someone else to look at it?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by qzilla
I would be skeptical. the only way a wiring harness can go bad is if it was chaffing on something??

I would also highly doubt both the FRP and the MAP sensor were bad unless it was a wiring problem but, then I would have to think whatever caused the short would short everything on that 5v circuit which is a bunch of stuff.

Thats what I was thinking....
Old 08-01-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Either that or time to have a talk...
Old 08-01-2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla

Not the first harness problem I've heard of.

Did you buy the truck new or used?
Old 08-01-2007, 04:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My experience with this is the harness can be fixed. Fixed several myself on other vehicles. Normally when they say it needs a harness they don't know exactly what is wrong with it. Had that happen to my company truck/ Dodge Durango. Had a broken wire at P104 which is the main harness connector under the dash above the emergency brake. A wire terminal was broken in the back bouncing around touching all kind of different stuff causing different problems. For instance
1. Blown brake light maxy fuse.
2. Press rear washer wiper/wash and the truck would idle up.
3. No cruise control engagement.
4. If the cruise did engage when set was pressed in 5 to 10 minutes truck would speed up on it's own. Would have to mash brake pedal to disengage.
5. TPS code logged in PCM.

It may have a broken wire somewhere. Make them show you where it is bad. (IE. shorted, open, chaffed) If the tech dose not know then he is guessing, hence find another tech. Also, get in writing that if this dosen't correct the issue that you are not paying for the part or the labor. PERIOD!!!!
These problems can be the hardest to find. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Banned

I have a bad wiring harness....it controls the BCM stuff though. I will give it to anyone who wants to try to repair and use it. a new one costs $830
Old 08-01-2007, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by dieseloutlaw1
Last tuesday my truck started acting real stupid, like it was running on about 3 or 4 cylnders, so i took it to my dealer. I called them today to see what was up with it, my map sensor and my FRP sensor is bad. They go on to tell me my wiring harness from my ecm to my injectors is bad, $1800 to replace. They said that was the reason for cylinders 1,2 and 3 not firing. What exactly do i need to do get this fixed. Take the harness off and fix myself or just get nasty with the dealer??? The part is not covered on the 100,000 mile engine warrenty, but its only gat 43k on it.
I would have them define bad...

Bad as in you had a shorted load and the fuse didn't protect the insulation and it melted?

Bad as in you have an open circuit with maybe 1 or 2 pins?

Bad as in you have a short due to chaffed insulation on a wire or two?

Did they ring out the suspected path and can they tell you what wire/pair is actually bad?

Unless the entire harness melted, you should be able to fix the offending wiring path but just replacing the bath path(s)...

I'm also having a hard time trying to tie 2 bad sensors means a bad wiring harness together into an intellegent sentence...

Good luck and I would ask them to show you exactly what is wrong with the said harness, $1800 is a lot of $'s for some bad wiring...
Old 08-01-2007, 09:06 PM

Bought the truck new. Dont exactly know what they are calling "bad," but i will ask tomorrow.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:28 PM

sounds like they want $ like most dealerships do. local guy said they wanted about 2200 or so for the one on his hemi to fix it. I think I would find another way
Old 08-25-2007, 10:24 AM

Just got the truck back this last tuesday, after dodge agreed to put a new wiring harness in the truck for n/c. They ended keeping it for 3 weeks, the service manager told me that my #2 injector was bad causing #1,2 and 3 cylinder to misfire, truck runs great, but my egts are thru the roof no quadzilla 1300-1450 are not uncommon. Went to waco, tx, yesturday got 8.5 mpg egt maxed at 1550 pulling only 10,000 lbs. What could i do to get them back down and fuel milage back up....
Old 08-25-2007, 10:58 AM

sounds like maybe your pilot injection is not working, is the combustion "sounds" a little loader than before at idle?

Quick Reply: I have a BIG problem!!